Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

02 Wakesetter VLX Bilge Pump

cpuwhiz22

Hello Crew,

I just took my new-to-me 02 Wakesetter VLX out for the maiden voyage yesterday.  All went well, but I noticed that when I filled the center ballast a good amount of water yielded in the bilge.  Nothing too concerning, but I will need to inspect the ballast system there to see why it resulted in water.

Anyhow, what I am wondering now is:

1. Where is the bilge pump located?

2. Is there a good way to test it for voltage, etc?

I am not sure if the pump uses a float, but I would assume it does.  If so, I'm curious where the float is so I can force it on and ensure its getting voltage and running when it should.  I don't know if it's working at all at this point, so I would appreciate any input you guys have.

Thanks!

Pump and float switch were toward the back and under the engine in my 02. I would check the center tank pumps where the hoses attach. The plastic section that slips into the hose tends to crack as the pumps age. When you selected the pump on did it work normally?

Edited by Sailvi767

Also check your drive shaft. It should drip very slowly. Mine was getting a lot of water in the bilge from this. Needed new shaft packing.

So I have had another chance to take the boat out and get a tiny bit more information.  Since I am questioning whether the bilge pump is working, I did not mess with the ballast at all.  I did notice that at the end of the day there was much less water in the bilge than prior.  This leads me to believe that @Sailvi767 might be right about the center ballast pump leaking, but I can't confirm because I am not ready to try it again until I figure out if the bilge pump is working.

On my '02 VLX, there is a bilge switch on the dash, but I am not sure how it is supposed to work.  It's a simple on/off switch.  I believe from the research I have done that this typically would turn the pump on manually, and with the switch off the pump would still run via a float.  I do not hear or see any evidence of the pump running when I flip the switch, but I am not sure that I should.  Can anyone confirm?

The next question is where the float is typically located.  The boat is in storage, but next time I get it out I will snap a few pictures and dig into this again.  Once I can confirm whether or not the bilge pump is working, I will address the potential ballast pump issue, but I want to focus on the bilge pump first.

Any other tips would be appreciated!  

The pump is normally hot wired for operation viathe float switch at any time. The rocker switch turns it on and off manually. Look under the back of the engine under the exhaust and locate the float switch. Lift it up. You will hear the pump start if it is working. If not have someone turn on the pump manually with the rocker switch. Again you will here it if working. That will tell you the status of the bilge pump. Now you need to look at the ballast pumps. The center tank pumps are in the ski locker. Easy to see and check. You also might double check the center plug is in the boat. There are two of them. One in the ski locker and one at the stern. When the bilge is running in the water it discharges out the right side of the boat near the fuel cap. 

If you find no leaks check your aft tank pumps under the front of the engine. They crack also.

Edited by Sailvi767

Does anyone know what the float looks like?  I am pretty confident the bilge pump isn't doing anything since manually turning it on has yielded no noise or anything from what I can tell.  I would like to also test with the float, and additionally, I don't know if there is a breaker or fuse for it but I will look for that also.  

Once I get the bilge pump sorted out I am going to move on to the ballast pumps, but first I need to make sure I can get water out in the event that they are leaking in the bilge.  It's annoying to test them only to find out they leak, and then have to get it out of the water to drain.

i know my 01 vlx has same issues as described and the bilge would only turn on   when on plane or pulling out on ramp   otherwise the water would stay in locker area

If there was less water the second time out it may just be from your  shaft packing. It takes a while for it to swell up and seal properly. You will still have some water dripping in from it.

The bilge pump should be all the way to the back of the boat. It will be a small box with slots in it. It will snap apart into a upper and lower portion. The top will contain the float and pump. Just separating it will probably activate the pump. Watch out for the impeller it will get ya. I really can't hear mine by just flipping the switch.

If your trying to get water out it is best to get the bow up pretty high so any water will flow to the back then switch on pump. Make sure your center locker plug is pulled so the water will flow back as well. That the lowest spot on the boat.

I got it home yesterday to take a look.  I snapped a few pictures or what I believe is the bilge pump.  Can anyone confirm?

IMG_20170531_213159184.jpg

IMG_20170531_213009055.jpg

So it looks like what I have is this, which is discontinued:

http://shop.toadmarinesupply.com/ships_store/?p=details&ident=156334&mfc=ATTWOOD&sku=41554&prod_name=ATTWOOD+GUARDIAN+500+AUTOMATIC+BILGE+PUMP&sectionid=10240

Can anyone recommend a good replacement that will be the easiest to install?  I imagine that it will be slightly more challenging installing a different model due to mounting or wiring differences.  Any tips are greatly appreciated!

I'd highly recommend putting a new bilge pump in the center locker area (right behind the center ballast, next to the plug). This is where water really likes to sit in this boat. You can cut the drain line from the ballast and Tee into it, so that both your ballast drain and bilge are connected to the front ballast drain on the side of the boat. Just remember you'll need to add check valves to each side of the Tee to eliminate the bilge or ballast from trying to transfer water with each other. I always like getting a bilge with a built in float but that's just because I'm lazy. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Seaflo-Automatic-Submersible-750gph-Switch/dp/B00B0L4ONM

9 minutes ago, cpuwhiz22 said:

So it looks like what I have is this, which is discontinued:

http://shop.toadmarinesupply.com/ships_store/?p=details&ident=156334&mfc=ATTWOOD&sku=41554&prod_name=ATTWOOD+GUARDIAN+500+AUTOMATIC+BILGE+PUMP&sectionid=10240

Can anyone recommend a good replacement that will be the easiest to install?  I imagine that it will be slightly more challenging installing a different model due to mounting or wiring differences.  Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Make sure the new one has the same or greater GPM pumping ability.  Wiring should be identical.  Just observe and replicate polarity.  Make sure the outlet tube is the same size so it fits your current tubing.  Hardest part will be getting the old base off the hull and securing the new one.  While you're in there take a look at all the other bits and familiarize yourself with the boat.  Might be a good time to grease the rudder shaft (just a couple pumps).

Great!  I just ordered the Sahara pump.  Wish me luck!

@saskicker32: If I were to put a pump in the ski locker, how/where would I wire it?  And would I be tying into the switch on the dash?  Also, would this be an additional bilge pump to the one in the rear, or would I want to omit the one in the rear?

Also, where/what is the center locker plug people are referring to?  I don't recall seeing anything like that in there.  It's possible it was removed by the previous owner...

I know I have a broken one back in the rear but know it just doesn't work. A single bilge pump in the center has always worked for me no problem. As for Wiring, there will be wiring diagram that comes with the bilge. One wire goes to the battery, one goes to ground, and one goes to the switch on the dash. This set up will have the float run automatically when needed, and give you the manual function with the switch on the dash. It's a relatively simple install.

Just now, cpuwhiz22 said:

Also, where/what is the center locker plug people are referring to?  I don't recall seeing anything like that in there.  It's possible it was removed by the previous owner...

No, it's a through hole drain. If you open up your center locker, there is the ballast bag in the front, then a small retaining wall and then behind that (towards the rear of the boat) there should be a brass T handle. If you unscrew that, it's a through the boat drain plug (always check it's installed before dropping the boat in the water). I mounted my bilge pump as close to the T-handle as possible while still giving myself room to screw/unscrew it.

I don't recall seeing anything like that in the ski locker.  The ballast bag and retaining wall you describe i am familiar with, but I don't recall seeing any plug.  The only drain plugs I am aware of are a brass T handle plug that goes under the V drive, and a plug on the transom below the wedge mounting plate.  IIRC, the ski locker had what looked like an opening at the back side to allow water from that compartment to flow back to the V drive compartment.  I will have to look again when I am home.

52 minutes ago, cpuwhiz22 said:

IIRC, the ski locker had what looked like an opening at the back side to allow water from that compartment to flow back to the V drive compartment.  I will have to look again when I am home.

Yep, that's the hole between the locker and the engine area.  It allows water to flow both ways.  When the boat is sitting flat, the water will run towards the bow if that hole is not plugged.

Interesting.  I will have to see if I can locate a plug for it since I have not seen one in there.  Would it be the same as the one used for the drain under the V drive?

18 minutes ago, cpuwhiz22 said:

Interesting.  I will have to see if I can locate a plug for it since I have not seen one in there.  Would it be the same as the one used for the drain under the V drive?

I think it's a smaller diameter.  Mine is plastic and threaded with thumb tabs.  Maybe the previous owner lost it?  Might be rolling around the locker somewhere.

Any pics you post during your project would be super helpful.  Replacing the bilge is a pretty common small project, from what I gather.  

I just wanted to post an update, and a question.  I just got the new pump in and I was able to get the old one out rather easily, and I wired up the new Sahara one.  When I turn the switch on it runs, which I am very excited about.  However, when I flip the float that is built into the pump it doesn't do anything.  What I am wondering is if the circuit has a remote float, and if so I am guessing that there is no power at all to the pump with that float in the off position until I hit the switch manually.  Can anyone confirm if this is the case?  For reference, there were three wires going to the old and now the new pump.  There is a black (ground) wire, a brown wire, and a brown/white wire.

Thanks!