Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anchor Buddy

klingsdesigns

I have a 20vtx.  I was looking at the anchor buddies. What setup do i need to get this to work. What anchor buddy to you recommend?  Do you put that off the front or back of the boat.  Then what size anchor and style do you use and what type of spike do you use for shore.  Never used on so the more info i can get the better.

Thanks.

I believe they only make one size anchor buddy, but not positive about that.  If you are in deep water, just add the anchor buddy to your existing anchor line.  I would put the anchor buddy on the anchor and the anchor line between the boat and the anchor buddy.  If you anchor in 40' or less water then just roll with the anchor buddy alone.  I use a box anchor with mine, works perfect in most any lake.  We don't ever use it for shoreline use, but off docks and house boats all the time.  And shore spike should work or if there will be trees on the shore just tie a line to one of those.  You will be surprised at how easy it is to use.  The reality is with the anchor buddy it will not put a ton of pressure on whatever line you have on the shore because the bungee takes most of the impact.

what size box anchor you have. I dont currently have an anchor for this boat right now. I am using my old small one that does nothing for my last boat.  Another thing is most of the time i am on the river so there can be current at times.

Small box anchor is all you need, but if you want to be extra careful you can go to the large for not much extra money.  We use the small and have never had an issue with it.  I use a short chain with mine, but they say you don't even need that.  You will wonder why you have used any other anchoring system other than this combo once you use it once. 

In my experience the Anchor Buddy is ineffective if you are anchoring in river current. The current will stretch and load the bungee the entire time. Additionally, the Anchor Buddy manufacturer suggests using an anchor line in conjunction with their product. See the 'useful tips' diagram here http://www.tuggyproducts.com/anchorbuddy.html

I have a small box anchor, but usually borrow a large one from a friend when I am going to be camping riverfront.     

I havent had a chance to use mine yet, but I picked up a small box, and an Anchor buddy.   I expect to use it both as a stand alone anchor, and also to anchor the boat a little offshore in conjunction with shore spike or my danforth when we take a camping trip.     I also picked up a pair of Danik clips to manage the anchor line, especially when anchored from the bow eye - easier than leaning over the boat to tie knots.

I use a folding grapnel anchor and an anchor buddy. Like others have said, if it's a deep section of water I use a 50' leader line from the anchor buddy to the boat. I have thought about getting a box anchor but I like the way the grapnel style folds up. I store it in the bow gunnel behind the cup holders. I use a fender as a marker bouy and it goes in front of the cup holders. It's stored completely out of sight in an area that there is very little storage. I have never used the double line like the package suggests. I have spent many weekends moored at a campsite with no problems. I tie up bow out/stern in and use a non bungee rope from the boat to the shore and try to keep the anchor buddy from a constant "heavy" stretch. My anchor line is usually very loose. 

I also have the small box anchor and love it.... easy to set out and collapsed and stores in a smaller space quite well

15 hours ago, wbama387 said:

I have the small box anchor and it works great on my 23LSV.

I had a large for my LSV and I found that it took a bit to actually hold the boat. Anyone else have a Small that they use on a LSV? I snagged mine last year (did its job too well!) and need to get a new one. 

I use the small. I've used it on my last 4 23LSV's. I've had several boats tie up to me in good weather with my Box Anchor the only anchor out. It does get hard to get it to release if you don't follow their instructions.

They make different sizes of Anchor Buddies now??

The only one I can find is 14' - 50'.

Last summer I used one with a regular fluke anchor. It worked great, holding 2 boats in a lake with plenty of wind & waves. We actually tested the same anchor with a rope & the wind & waves would push the boats around, dragging the anchor. The bungee somehow allowed the anchor to set & not get dragged.

Doesn't really matter where you tie it off. Depends on what your doing & which way you want the boat to face. We usually secure the anchor buddy to either the bow or stern.

• Like 1
On 5/18/2017 at 3:38 PM, JeffC said:

I havent had a chance to use mine yet, but I picked up a small box, and an Anchor buddy.   I expect to use it both as a stand alone anchor, and also to anchor the boat a little offshore in conjunction with shore spike or my danforth when we take a camping trip.     I also picked up a pair of Danik clips to manage the anchor line, especially when anchored from the bow eye - easier than leaning over the boat to tie knots.

Just don't use the danik hook by itself on the anchor.  It will eventually come unhooked and leave your anchor on the bottom of the lake.  It seems so improbable, but trust me on this one.  

Edited by hethj7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:15 AM, hethj7 said:

Just don't use the danik hook by itself on the anchor.  It will eventually come unhooked and leave your anchor on the bottom of the lake.  It seems so improbably, but trust me on this one.  

Ironically this happened to me two weekends in a row.  After the first lost anchor I thought no way would that ever happen again, stupid me.  I took mine to West Marine and they tied everything up real nice with good knots, I can't tie a knot if I had to.