Sign in to follow this  
Backslash900

Relocating Battery

Backslash900

Prior to installing my ballast system, I must first relocate my battery out of the port engine locker. My thought is to move it behind the observers seat. This will allow me to easily mount the battery box to the floor with bolts in the ski locker - and leave room for an additional battery in the future.

My battery switch is now adjacent to the v-drive. I suppose my options are: 1) go from there to the observers seat along the seat frame under the cushions or, 2) run the cable under the floor next to the gas tank. I haven't popped the floor access cover, but would assume there is enough room. I'm also thinking of running ballast lines under there too.

Under the floor seems to be the cleanest install, but is it safe to have electical wires that close to the fuel cell? Has anyone done this?

Finally, should I move the battery switch to the front?

BBeakley

One other option would be to go underneath the gunnels along the side. That's how I brought my amp wires forward from that same location and what I plan to do next year when I go dual battery.

As for the battery switch, I've always heard fuses/breakers should go as close as possible to the battery but I don't know if it matters on a Perko type on/off switch.

wakesonthesnake

I just did the same thing this spring and decided to go over the fuel tank. I also ran my ballast lines in the same place. I would recommend using welding cable because it is more flexible and has a tougher insulation on it. I left my perko switch where it was, just because it was easier. I don't know how different our boats would be (97' 21' VLX), but it wasn't too tough of a job. Hope that helps.

Wakesonthesnake.

LS-One
I just did the same thing this spring and decided to go over the fuel tank. I also ran my ballast lines in the same place. I would recommend using welding cable because it is more flexible and has a tougher insulation on it. I left my perko switch where it was, just because it was easier. I don't know how different our boats would be (97' 21' VLX), but it wasn't too tough of a job. Hope that helps.

Wakesonthesnake.

I would concur with the use of a good and thick welding cable. You will be moving the batteries farther from the starter, which draws by far the most current compared to anything else in the boat. To small a cable will cause it to overheat, this just happened on my houseboat Memorial Weekend burnt the starter wire in two. Talk about your fire hazard. Shocking.gif