Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu- New engines in 2019??

cwkoch

Any pics of the Raptor oil filter compared to a traditional spin on?  I do my own oil changes/maintenance and have never used a canister filter setup before.  I have not even had time to peek at the Raptor in my lsv yet, been focusing on the stereo install.

14 hours ago, 67King said:

The Ford has a superior combustion chamber.  It is much, much more similar to any Ferrari or Lamborghini or whatever.  Why?  The term is "pent roof chamber."  What does "hemi" mean?  Hemispherical.  It allows a smaller sur, face area/volume ratio than any inline valve crap out there.  Why 2 plugs?  Better burn, more torque, better fuel economy, and yeah......lower emissions.

I'm confused.  The GM N/A V8 OHV motors have been making more power and getting better fuel mileage than the Ford SOHC/DOHC V8 N/A counterparts.  All passing emissions and running a single plug per cylinder (in a smaller/lighter engine package too).  It took the expensive, limited production VooDoo engine to barely beat the 9 year old LS7's in HP (not torque).  Ford has done a little better with their supercharged efforts, going back and forth depending on the motor compared (comparing power only), in a much more limited availability over what GM is offering.  

67 is technically correct on his points.  Keep in mind what the Ford motor was originally intended to do and then compare it to the comparable GM motor then it's a better comparison.  It's no different than GM's L86 6.2L that goes in the 1/2 ton pickup.  Why wouldn't GM put that instead of the tired 6.0 in the 3/4 ton truck?  The L86 is technically superior in most aspects to the 6.0.  I've owned both, it's better, but the 6.0 is a reliable workhorse #1 and a pretty good performer #2.  

There's your answer.  It's not as simple as just looking at a specs sheet in this case.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

I'm confused.  The GM N/A V8 OHV motors have been making more power and getting better fuel mileage than the Ford SOHC/DOHC V8 N/A counterparts.  All passing emissions and running a single plug per cylinder (in a smaller/lighter engine package too).  It took the expensive, limited production VooDoo engine to barely beat the 9 year old LS7's in HP (not torque).  Ford has done a little better with their supercharged efforts, going back and forth depending on the motor compared (comparing power only), in a much more limited availability over what GM is offering.  

I'm confused....... did you just compare the output of a 5.2l to a 7.0l engine, in an effort to make it look like ford was behind in design?!?

I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point........ but that comparison made me laugh.

Its not like the OHV 5.3 was anything special compared to the Ford 5.0, or 5.4. All of them very similar in output and efficiency.

I'd argue that GM is way behind, because their 1.5l turbo doesn't have nearly the horsepower of the voodoo 5.2l.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

I'm confused....... did you just compare the output of a 5.2l to a 7.0l engine, in an effort to make it look like ford was behind in design?!?

I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point........ but that comparison made me laugh.

Its not like the OHV 5.3 was anything special compared to the Ford 5.0, or 5.4. All of them very similar in output and efficiency.

I'd argue that GM is way behind, because their 1.5l turbo doesn't have nearly the horsepower of the voodoo 5.2l.

LOL, the displacement argument.  Who cares if the GM is a 10L motor - it is still physically smaller and lighter, which is what really matters in a practical application.  Remember, the GM 4.8L and GM 7.0L motors are all the same physical size.  So if the much larger displacement GM motor makes more power yet is more fuel efficient, lighter and physically smaller, why would one give two craps about its displacement?  

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

LOL, the displacement argument.  Who cares if the GM is a 10L motor - it is still physically smaller and lighter, which is what really matters in a practical application.  Remember, the GM 4.8L and GM 7.0L motors are all the same physical size.  So if the much larger displacement GM motor makes more power yet is more fuel efficient, lighter and physically smaller, why would one give two craps about its displacement?  

Are you joking?? By your logic, there would be absolutely no point for GM to build anything but LS7s. That's all that really matters?!? Last I checked, most consumers care far more about overall performance, and fuel mileage, than the actual outside dimensions and weight of their engine..... especially considering the Ford engines seem to fit perfectly fine in their lineup, the comparative offerings have performance and fuel mileage that is on par with GM offerings in the same vehicle class, and they fit perfectly fine in towboats. Not to mention, an LS7 doesn't have better efficiency than many of the modular v8 offerings from Ford in that time period.... (mostly due to that pesky displacement thing.....) I gaurantee a whole lot more people give two craps about displacement, than outside physical dimensions, and weight. Especially when the weight/size difference is negligible. 

Take for instance, the 2012 Z06, LS7 505hp, with a fuel economy rating of 15 city, and 24 highway. Compare that to a 2013 GT500 with the 5.8 Trinity 662hp and a fuel economy rating of exactly the same 15 city, 24 highway (in a heavier car I might add). I don't know about you, but I would pick the 5.8 trinity V8 for my tow boat, and not give two craps that it is a couple pounds heavier, and fills the engine bay a tiny bit more around the top of the cylinder heads.

Then you could jump into an argument promoting the LS9, or LT4, which are also great offerings in the LS engine lineup. But then there is also the new 647hp 3.5 EB v6, that vastly outperforms that LS7 in a smaller and lighter package...... and the comparo would go on.....

Both manufacturers are kicking out tons of great offerings. GM is just being simpler about it. Stick with what has worked for them. Nothing wrong with that. Ford has a different approach, but it's not like they have fallen behind GM in engine technology. Not one bit. You might think it's ridiculous for Ford to use overhead cams and more than 2 valves, but every other engineer, at every other car manufacturer in the world would disagree (except at GM of course). I will, however, think of you, the first time I see someone open up a hood and say "ugh, I'm not buying this thing. The valve covers look too bulky"

Edited by TenTwentyOne
6 hours ago, Fman said:

Any pics of the Raptor oil filter compared to a traditional spin on?  I do my own oil changes/maintenance and have never used a canister filter setup before.  I have not even had time to peek at the Raptor in my lsv yet, been focusing on the stereo install.

Not a great photo, but it is the canisister just visible under the vent hose in the upper left of this photo.   Easy access if you sit on the platform and remove the rear seat tray - I think I also pulled the back divider panel which made it very accessible.   Past number is on the photo of the box if you order a replacement from Amazon.  That one comes with th gasket - the Napa equivalent at the local store did not.  The last is the actual filter (new and old one side by side).

DA3160C6-A05B-43F1-A743-BF006E5837A2_zps

9F47F01D-1BDE-4B31-9A46-0D4F307FE3D3_zps87828DD6-FD19-4866-A7A9-481075E16C38_zps

Edited by hethj7
  • Like 2