Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1997 Sunsetter rehab

thank you both for the input.  I will call both those places tomorrow.  any idea on the glue used if I do put the old ones back on after removal?

Also, does anyone know where I can find new black rubber pieces that I removed to get the windshield off?  I was able to find the double D-seal weather stripping that sits beneath the windshield (between windshield frame and boat), but was not able to find for purchase the piece I removed to gain access to the screws holding the frame onto the boat.

Thank you!

I have ordered all replacement window seals and screw covers, all new cup holders, new steering cable, safety lanyard, and speedo pitots.  All due in next week, but hopefully the boat will be at gelcoat during that time.

Also got to check out the upholstery on the drivers seat.  Making a slight change to ad grey to the vertical side of the removable seat (where your butt goes), but other than that I am very happy with our color combos as well as the quality of work from our local upholstery guy.

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1807.jpg

Edited by Bean97
sp.
  • Like 4

@Bean97:  You might try Great Lakes Skipper to see if they have some weatherstripping that would work, they buy stuff at auction or from closing dealerships.  Odd that McMaster doesn't have something, perhaps you might get lucky trying Wholesale Marine, iboats, CP Performance.  Bakes is an excellent resource and certainly has the products people need/want and provides great service.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again, All!

My gel coat guy was finally able to get me in this week.  He called me today and told me that the rub rail was brittle and falling apart when he took it off and I will need to buy a new one for him to replace it.  I have searched taco marine and I think this is the correct one, but I do not remember the one on my boat having the horizontal leg on the bottom.  I also plan on calling taco directly tomorrow but you guys seems to know pretty much everything so checking what you think.  Here is the part number I am thinking is correct:

V11-9795BBK50D-2

Thank you!

Capture.JPG

6 hours ago, Bean97 said:

Hello again, All!

My gel coat guy was finally able to get me in this week.  He called me today and told me that the rub rail was brittle and falling apart when he took it off and I will need to buy a new one for him to replace it.  I have searched taco marine and I think this is the correct one, but I do not remember the one on my boat having the horizontal leg on the bottom.  I also plan on calling taco directly tomorrow but you guys seems to know pretty much everything so checking what you think.  Here is the part number I am thinking is correct:

V11-9795BBK50D-2

Thank you!

Capture.JPG

Been debating the same process on my 99ssvlx and haven't really come up with a good plan so I will probably put it off this year. I could not find a black rub rail that would work from taco. The part numbers they have are white. 

Looks like the one I picked above will not work.  My rub rail that came off is symmetric about the horizontal centerline.  Here is a pic of my boat with rubrail removed and a shot of the rub rail that was removed.

I cannot find something that is similar or will even work.  Am I out of luck?  Any other solutions or tips?

Rail.JPG

Boat.JPG

The taco marine will work but the only color they make it in is white which I expressed before. I am mending mine back together for the time being until I find an alternative. I have spent a lot of time searching and making phone calls just to turn up empty so far. If you do by chance find something that is black let me know. I'm not completely against white because my boat is white and red. It definitely appears that no boat manufacture makes the hulls equal top and bottom like Malibu did. I work on boats for a living,operate my own business and have gone threw every source that I have, I have not asked Vince at skidim

Edited by jbower
4 hours ago, jbower said:

The taco marine will work but the only color they make it in is white which I expressed before. I am mending mine back together for the time being until I find an alternative. I have spent a lot of time searching and making phone calls just to turn up empty so far. If you do by chance find something that is black let me know. I'm not completely against white because my boat is white and red. It definitely appears that no boat manufacture makes the hulls equal top and bottom like Malibu did. I work on boats for a living,operate my own business and have gone threw every source that I have, I have not asked Vince at skidim

Are you saying that the rub rail kit that I posted above (PN: V11-9795BBK50D-2) will work but it does not come in black?  Because the part number I posted is black.  The kind gentleman from Taco is going to try and send me a sample so I will post a picture if/when I get it.

52 minutes ago, Bean97 said:

Are you saying that the rub rail kit that I posted above (PN: V11-9795BBK50D-2) will work but it does not come in black?  Because the part number I posted is black.  The kind gentleman from Taco is going to try and send me a sample so I will post a picture if/when I get it.

Wow foot in mouth. Apparently I'm either dumb or blind. You sure are correct that is not the part number a kind gentleman gave me when I called and spent 30 minutes of his time. I'll have to look threw my notepad at the shop and find the part numbers he gave me. On the other hand i don't see that one working very well for you because the longer leg is going to put the rail on angle and the rivet is not going to like it. I could be wrong let me know when you get your test peice, but if it's angled funny when attached it's not going on my boat. I'll clean mine up and put a new insert it and get rid of the boat in a few years anyway. 

@Bean97:  I am also looking for a rub rail insert, the PN I compared to mine did not seem to exactly fit although I need to go back and verify, but key is the fact someone is willing to send you a small sample, can you indicate your success path or specific contact so I can attempt to get a ~6" sample simply to compare to existing?  Thanks in advance.

35 minutes ago, ski40mph said:

Depending on the dimensions of your old vs. the one posted above, maybe you can trim the bottom return part off the new one?

I am hoping so.  With the sample in hand I will really be able to tell what will work.  I also have a call in to Malibu to see if they have any suggestions as well as a call in to Andrew at Bakes.

I can't believe that finding a replacement rub rail is this difficult.

1 hour ago, Woodski said:

@Bean97:  I am also looking for a rub rail insert, the PN I compared to mine did not seem to exactly fit although I need to go back and verify, but key is the fact someone is willing to send you a small sample, can you indicate your success path or specific contact so I can attempt to get a ~6" sample simply to compare to existing?  Thanks in advance.

@Woodski: I called the number for Taco Marine from their website - 800.653.8568.  Spoke to a nice gentleman named John.  He said they have a "sample" department and he would ask them if they had a sample of the PN I was looking at and if so he would send it to me; so no guarantee that I actually get a sample but still nice of them to make the effort.

Both Vince at Skidim and Andrew at Bakes were extremely nice, but unfortunately unable to find a matching rubrail base.

This morning I called Malibu directly and they said that the original part number is from Creative Extruded Products, Inc. and that the OEM part numbers can still be ordered through my local dealer.  Sweet!  

Base PN: 5050101

Insert PN: 5050111

Local dealer is closed today so really hoping for followup good news tomorrow.  Really hoping I do not have a repeat of THIS.

@Bean97:  very cool you got good feedback on an older boat, did the person you talked to seem eager to help you out with questions on an older vessel?  If yes, good news for others rehabbing a vintage or previous generation Malibu.  Cool.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Bean97 said:

Both Vince at Skidim and Andrew at Bakes were extremely nice, but unfortunately unable to find a matching rubrail base.

This morning I called Malibu directly and they said that the original part number is from Creative Extruded Products, Inc. and that the OEM part numbers can still be ordered through my local dealer.  Sweet!  

Base PN: 5050101

Insert PN: 5050111

Local dealer is closed today so really hoping for followup good news tomorrow.  Really hoping I do not have a repeat of THIS.

Good information and thank you for digging deeper. I never would have called Malibu. I'd like to know the price of it that is for sure. 

14 hours ago, jbower said:

Good information and thank you for digging deeper. I never would have called Malibu. I'd like to know the price of it that is for sure. 

I ended up calling a different CA dealer yesterday and the price is $182 for the base and $76 for the insert.  They stated they will not return it if is the incorrect fit for my boat.  Today I am going to see if I can get Malibu or my dealer to send me a sketch/drawing/picture of the part numbers in question so I can get a warm fuzzy that it is the correct part number before spending the $250.  I did get the part number in writing from Malibu yesterday, so I can have that to fall back on if really needed, but I'd rather avoid any trouble and just order the correct number the first time.

I'll keep updating as I find out more.

Edited by Bean97
Sp.