Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
JetDrvr

A Memorial Service? - 2009 Wakesetter VLX

Recommended Posts

JetDrvr

My family and I have enjoyed our 2009 Wakesetter VLX very much.  But the kids have gotten older and I believe it's time to pass the boat & fun along to someone else.  I have not yet officially listed it for sale but will be doing so soon, with pics.  Trying to decide if we should have a memorial service at the lake!  :(( 

John

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
asp13

Are the kids not interested in boating or going out on the lake with their friends? When I was younger I would have given anything for my dad to own a boat!

Share this post


Link to post
JetDrvr

I didn't mean to imply any age-limiting factors.  I grew up on a lake and learned to barefoot as a pre-teen behind a 12' jon boat with a 25hp Evenrude using an original generation Hydroslide and have been in boats all my life too.  But as with many things as we grow older, its time to close certain chapters of our lives and move on to others.  (I'm thinking of making the transition to fishing.  I fly airplanes for a living and our house on the lake is a second home.  Recently, I was gone for 4 straight months while flying Journey on tour last summer.  I can count on 1 hand the number of times we've been able to enjoy our boat & weekend getaways over the last 18-24 months.  It's just not right that a boat as nice as ours remains "all dressed up with nowhere to go".  Know what I mean?

Share this post


Link to post
TallRedRider
1 hour ago, JetDrvr said:

My family and I have enjoyed our 2009 Wakesetter VLX very much.  But the kids have gotten older and I believe it's time to pass the boat & fun along to someone else.  I have not yet officially listed it for sale but will be doing so soon, with pics.  Trying to decide if we should have a memorial service at the lake!  :(( 

John

 

 

Not sure what you mean by kids getting older...but I will be the coolest grandpa on the planet when those little ones come and I take them on the boat.  So if you mean adult kind of older, then you never know how much it will help to bring the family together when the grandkids start rolling in.  

And if you love the boat enough that you are thinking of a memorial service, you should keep it and find someone else to go with. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
minnmarker
33 minutes ago, JetDrvr said:

I didn't mean to imply any age-limiting factors.  I grew up on a lake and learned to barefoot as a pre-teen behind a 12' jon boat with a 25hp Evenrude using an original generation Hydroslide and have been in boats all my life too.  But as with many things as we grow older, its time to close certain chapters of our lives and move on to others.  (I'm thinking of making the transition to fishing.  I fly airplanes for a living and our house on the lake is a second home.  Recently, I was gone for 4 straight months while flying Journey on tour last summer.  I can count on 1 hand the number of times we've been able to enjoy our boat & weekend getaways over the last 18-24 months.  It's just not right that a boat as nice as ours remains "all dressed up with nowhere to go".  Know what I mean?

If the kids are still at home and are not interested in boating anymore then perhaps it is time to sell.  If they are going away to college or something and are still interested in the boat then they WILL BE back.  And you'll get one of those sweet trans Pacific routes where you're on 10 days and off 20, so you can spend lots of time at the lake!  I know a Delta pilot with that deal.  Sweet.

Share this post


Link to post
oldjeep

If you haven't got enough interest in it to use it then sell it and maybe buy another if you miss it.  We've used ours more since the kids got older and eventually all left for school, but I bought it for me not them.

Share this post


Link to post
JetDrvr

I would welcome opinions form the group/forum as to the best location(s) for posting Malibu "for sale" listings.  Thanks!

 

John

[email protected]

 

Share this post


Link to post
oldjeep
Just now, JetDrvr said:

I would welcome opinions form the group/forum as to the best location(s) for posting Malibu "for sale" listings.  Thanks!

 

John

[email protected]

 

Craigslist is really the best place

Share this post


Link to post
shawndoggy

(<<<< this guy's days are similarly numbered)

I don't know why people give others a hard time about selling because the kids have moved on.  If it's a family activity, and the family is no longer under the same roof or has other priorities, then so be it.  

I can understand the memorial service not really being "about the boat" but about the passage of time and acknowledging that that boat chapter of life is coming to a close.

As soon as my younger brother headed off to college, my parents sold the vacation cabin.  I didn't understand why at the time... but now I understand that the very very best times were when we had other families and many many kids all crashed there for the weekend (or a snowbound week), and that keeping the place became a bit of a reminder of bygone days (not to mention its costs and maintenance obligations).

1 minute ago, minnmarker said:

 If they are going away to college or something and are still interested in the boat then they WILL BE back.  

I loved the cabin and wished my parents hadn't sold it, but I never went back home after leaving for college.

Share this post


Link to post
minnmarker
5 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I loved the cabin and wished my parents hadn't sold it, but I never went back home after leaving for college.

We're getting kinda soppy here. :whistle:

Maybe you would have gone back to the cabin if they had kept it.  My kids both came back after going away to college.  I'm not sure I would keep the cabin if they had both moved away permanently.

Share this post


Link to post
TallRedRider
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

(<<<< this guy's days are similarly numbered)

I don't know why people give others a hard time about selling because the kids have moved on.  If it's a family activity, and the family is no longer under the same roof or has other priorities, then so be it.  

 

 

I am not sure that anyone is giving him a hard time....  I am just suggesting the boat may still be capable of creating future great memories as well.    Based on his second post, he is set on moving on.   I apologize to him if he thought I was giving him a hard time, definitely no offense intended.  

I would post on the usual places: Craigslist, any local classifieds, and on the classifieds on the Malibu Crew.  I would use Onlyinboards.   On my last 2 boats, I did not get crap except for scammers all the time from Boattrader.com.  The scammer traffic was pretty heavy, it seemed like daily I got texted from someone with subnormal English skills and no ability to talk directly on the phone.  Despite being the lowest price 247 for most of the winter, I didn't get a single phone call.  Sold it from local classifieds to the first guy that came to see it in March.  

Share this post


Link to post
shawndoggy
36 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

I would post on the usual places: Craigslist, any local classifieds, and on the classifieds on the Malibu Crew.  I would use Onlyinboards.   On my last 2 boats, I did not get crap except for scammers all the time from Boattrader.com.  The scammer traffic was pretty heavy, it seemed like daily I got texted from someone with subnormal English skills and no ability to talk directly on the phone.  Despite being the lowest price 247 for most of the winter, I didn't get a single phone call.  Sold it from local classifieds to the first guy that came to see it in March.  

I agree with all of the above.... although I did actually sell a boat to two ruskies with sub-par english and who wanted to skype me at weird hours...

Share this post


Link to post
Sixball

I am all for moving on. Why hold on to something you have money warped up in and not enjoying. I  feel very lucky to have enjoyed so many hobby's over my time till now.  Some have been very expensive others not bad at all. Some that could have had extreme consequences others I could take my mother on. Life is what fits at the current time and ability's.  Why hold onto something you are losing interest in or not able to enjoy. If you change your life to enjoy it are you losing something that you could enjoy even more?  Enjoy what ever you move onto.    

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

i

 

 

 

 

i

Share this post


Link to post
JetDrvr

Tall..&..Shawn..,

Thanks for the insight guys.  Much appreciated.  I've got to take some good pics of the rig and put together the specs, then I'm sure I'll post to at least Malibu Crew Classifieds and Craigslist.

John

 

Share this post


Link to post
shawndoggy
4 minutes ago, JetDrvr said:

Tall..&..Shawn..,

Thanks for the insight guys.  Much appreciated.  I've got to take some good pics of the rig and put together the specs, then I'm sure I'll post to at least Malibu Crew Classifieds and Craigslist.

John

 

I was going to mention this earlier but didn't.  I am such a photo snob.  I think good pics show that an owner has cared for the boat.  Like I'd want to buy a boat from a guy who takes the time to take the good pics.  I hate seeing the pic of the lockers all full of junk or bad lighting or whatever.  haha and if you have stereo wires hanging everywhere in teh observer's compartment, at least invest in some zip ties or velcro cable wraps to clean that mess up!

You want the buyer to be able to imagine how well you've cared for the boat and how easily they'll be able to step right into your shoes.  

But I see boats get sold with sub-par pics all the time (including the mess of wires) so I think my point of view is partly just personal prejudice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Fman

When my youngest heads out in three years we will also be in same situation, won't be surprised if we get out of boating.  With my older two out of the house it is already changing the dynamics trying to get out.  Less hours every year and I can't see me and the wife going out much together to make it worth the investment and cost of the boat.

As for selling a boat I would list it on boat trader, only inboards, Malibu crew, Craigslist, KSL, ebay.  The more sites the better with nice clean pics, maintenance records, priced right, etc.

Good luck with the sale...

Share this post


Link to post
Nitrousbird
11 hours ago, JetDrvr said:

Tall..&..Shawn..,

Thanks for the insight guys.  Much appreciated.  I've got to take some good pics of the rig and put together the specs, then I'm sure I'll post to at least Malibu Crew Classifieds and Craigslist.

John

 

Though those are two good spots, you are limiting your audience.  Craigslist will mostly be locals (with a lot of tire kickers and low ballers).  Not to say you can't sell there, as I bought mine on a WTB add I posted on CL, but not always the best spot.  TMC is great but a limited audience.  Ski It Again is another great, free resource: http://www.ski-it-again.com/

Only Inboards is another great spot.  Boat Trader gets a lot of traffic but scammers.  If spending listing money in only one place, I would spend it on Only Inboards.  

As Shawn said, pictures, pictures, pictures.  Good, quality pics of a cleaned up boat.  Details...and not details about stuff that is standard on all VLX's.  I see listings where it is standard feature after standard feature yet not listing which motor and options the boat has.

Share this post


Link to post
Slurpee

Only Inboards got me a lot of traffic, but take this as just my single experience.  I got only elitists who would low-ball at the slightest flaw or just low-ball because it wasn't a new boat.  And dreamers who wanted everything a new boat had, but couldn't afford that boat.  The first you wouldn't sell to, the second couldn't be talked into buying.  Both are definitely the right audience though.  I listed on CL, and OI first for about 6 weeks.  Craigslist was an absolute waste of time for me, but YMMV.

My boat sold in a week on Boattrader after a month on Only Inboards.  I did get the scammers via phone and email, but it wasn't any worse than what you get when you start car shopping through edmunds.com or something. Personally that it sold through boattrader amazed me because they have the worst format every in my opinion for listing boats.  Unless it's changed since you have no ability to page format your ad.  All the information is just dumped in there in a big jumble.  I guess BT just has a bigger overall audience of lookers.

Share this post


Link to post
Bawshogg

I think one of my biggest frustrations with selling a boat is the lack of follow through with most people you talk to /invest time in. I have literally "sold" my boat 3 times since I listed it late last season ..... but I still have it?????

OIB gets ALOT of looks and very few REAL leads from my expierience. CL seems to generate the most action in my area. I also recommend listing on CL as far as you are willing to drive to sell it. I go all the way up and down the west coast , and will deliver to the right buyer. Always cracks me up the amount of folks that don't even read the add! Had a guy call me up a few weeks ago from Sacramento area . It was about 9 pm and wanted to come look at the boat. I said." sure ... are you leaving now?"  He said ,"ya, well I can" I said ,"so I'll see you tomorrow?" ....pause.... "where are you located again?" , "Portland ,OR. area, just like add the add and map shows" .  He never made it. 

I would also say that another nagging issue for me is the negotiations on price BEFORE ever even looking at the boat! I take very good care of just about everything I own... besides my kids, and my stuff is almost always clean, always dialed in and really leaves nothing to "haggle" over. I cant tell you how many emails that go straight to the lowball offer. I don't get mad per say, but I find it slightly rude. I don't negotiate like that.

I have "good" pictures and feel the same way, why show me how many old Coors lights are still  under the seats? @shawndoggy, But you still deal with all the usual flakes regardless. What it really comes down to is prime season is when you want to sell a boat, which will be upon us in about 2-3 months and the boats shows are over. All the boats I have sold have always sold in Feb/ March. 

I have never personally tried Boattrader sheerly because I HATE to peruse that site as well. It's a mess. But as of late I have heard good things from a few people now.  :dontknow:......

 

Share this post


Link to post
edwin
On January 10, 2017 at 7:12 PM, JetDrvr said:

Tall..&..Shawn..,

Thanks for the insight guys.  Much appreciated.  I've got to take some good pics of the rig and put together the specs, then I'm sure I'll post to at least Malibu Crew Classifieds and Craigslist.

John

 

I recently sold my RLXi, one hit thru this site...6 hits via Only Inboards.  4 of the 6 were legit buyers.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...