Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
powderjay

Oh man should I or Shouldn't I? trade for 17 lsv

Recommended Posts

powderjay

Let me start by saying we love our 15 lsv. Last 2 summers have been perfect and the boat is dialed in just right for us. She hasn't had any screen issues and has always performed the way you'd expect an expensive boat to perform.

That being said.. my dealer called to inquire about a trade in on a 17 if we were interested.  I'm intrigued but don't want to take too big of a hit.  So I've read some other threads and would like some input on what's a fair deal?

First salvo from my dealer is 75k trade on mine, 115hrs  350 monsoon, nothing too fancy.  New boat 97,500  similarly optioned with the bigger motor obviously. After all is said and done I would need to bring 24k to the table.  A little more than I want to spend but it's a starting point. Thoughts on what kind of deal this is? Is that a fair trade in price?   

IMG_3596.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
ahopkinsVTX

Do you have a more specific options list on the 17?

i feel that's a fair trade in value. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

Share this post


Link to post
hethj7

I'm not sure why you would get out of the '15 if it is performing the way you want it. 

 

The only major(?) differences in the '17 from yours would be -

the new vinyl

Ford engine with new tranny ratio

5 year warranty

Wetsounds stereo

 

I can't think of any other "major" changes from 2015 to 2017.    I don't think I'd go spend $24K on a similarly equipped boat just to get those items listed above, especially if your boat is dialed in and performing like you want. 

Share this post


Link to post
powderjay

Wasn't sure if next summer was going to be when my touch screen locks up and costs me valuable boat time!  I'll work on more specifics of the option list on the 17.

Share this post


Link to post
The Hulk

*upgrade to the 25 so you have more of a "difference" to justify! :cheers:

 

Share this post


Link to post
NMMalibuFamily

IMHO, I'm a simply minded guy and I'd stay where you're at. You've got a great vessel. As stated, I don't see that you're getting much more with this trade, so look at it this way. $24,000 upgrade for a boat with only 115 hours. That's $208 per hour not including fuel, maintenance, or insurance. Seems a bit steep to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
DarkSide

Personal decision, especially with it being stable.  You got one more year of warranty.  LSV is likely getting a refresh for 2018.  You are only getting a couple upgrades, bigger motor, surfband, etc.  

I am the last person to suggest keeping, but a stable reliable boat under warranty, I might be inclined to wait till the refresh, if it's coming....

Share this post


Link to post
Fman
2 hours ago, powderjay said:

Let me start by saying we love our 15 lsv. Last 2 summers have been perfect and the boat is dialed in just right for us. She hasn't had any screen issues and has always performed the way you'd expect an expensive boat to perform.

That being said.. my dealer called to inquire about a trade in on a 17 if we were interested.  I'm intrigued but don't want to take too big of a hit.  So I've read some other threads and would like some input on what's a fair deal?

First salvo from my dealer is 75k trade on mine, 115hrs  350 monsoon, nothing too fancy.  New boat 97,500  similarly optioned with the bigger motor obviously. After all is said and done I would need to bring 24k to the table.  A little more than I want to spend but it's a starting point. Thoughts on what kind of deal this is? Is that a fair trade in price?   

IMG_3596.JPG

I was in the same situation with my 22VLX (2015), I chose to sell for a few reasons.  You will have a harder time selling a boat without a warranty, and you are on the last year.  The 2017 does have some substantial upgrades, base Raptor 410, trans ratio, WS stereo, different windshield, new vinyl, adjustable drivers seat, new decals, different drivers seat, surfband, 5 YEAR WARRANTY, drain plug sensors, hydraulic surf gate tabs,  G3.5 tower.  From a 2016 to 2017 not very much at all other than WS stereo and G3.5.  All of these are substantial, and if you wait for a 2018 it will only cost you 4-5% more.  I agree with DS there could definitely be a new LSV coming in 2018, so that is something you have to consider.  But I do believe there are a lot worthy upgrades between a 2015 and 2017.

Edited by Fman

Share this post


Link to post
bbattiste247

I am considering a trade on a 2016 23 lsv for 2017..mainly because I can get a better rate and a lower monthly payment on a new boat. I was quoted 75k trade on a 2016 and 108k price on a moderately equipped 2017. I am not going to do that deal, but I am going to sell first then decide if I will buy a 17.  The prices you've been quoted look fair to me and much better than I would get on a newer boat.

Edited by bbattiste247

Share this post


Link to post
DarkSide

 

13 minutes ago, bbattiste247 said:

I am considering a trade on a 2016 23 lsv for 2017..mainly because I can get a better rate and a lower monthly payment on a new boat. I was quoted 75k trade on a 2016 and 108k price on a moderately equipped 2017. I am not going to do that deal, but I am going to sell first then decide if I will buy a 17.  The prices you've been quoted look fair to me and much better than I would get on a newer boat.

I agree there are much better deals to be had.  It all depends on if you are locked into Malibu.  Competition in AZ is causing most dealers to really work for the deal, I don't know if NV has as many players as we do.  

Share this post


Link to post
powderjay
9 hours ago, NMMalibuFamily said:

IMHO, I'm a simply minded guy and I'd stay where you're at. You've got a great vessel. As stated, I don't see that you're getting much more with this trade, so look at it this way. $24,000 upgrade for a boat with only 115 hours. That's $208 per hour not including fuel, maintenance, or insurance. Seems a bit steep to me. 

Yes,  need to get the number down a bit.  If it stays at 24 I don't think I'll do the deal. Hoping to get it around 20K.  

Share this post


Link to post
bbattiste247
12 hours ago, DarkSide said:

 

I agree there are much better deals to be had.  It all depends on if you are locked into Malibu.  Competition in AZ is causing most dealers to really work for the deal, I don't know if NV has as many players as we do.  

In Las Vegas/Henderson, we have a Nautique, Supreme, Moomba dealer who is small and another small Tige dealer, but they offer no competition to Boulderboats unfortunately. Despite having Lake Mead at our back door, there are no other major players in the area.

Edited by bbattiste247

Share this post


Link to post
ponderosasurf
15 hours ago, powderjay said:

Wasn't sure if next summer was going to be when my touch screen locks up and costs me valuable boat time!  I'll work on more specifics of the option list on the 17.

The touch screen is an easy fix. Took 5 minutes. We got lucky in the sense that it didn't shut us down, but definitely made it frustrating. But as other said, you have to be able to justify the upgrade. The warranty point made @Fmanis something to consider.

Edited by ponderosasurf

Share this post


Link to post
malibu2004

You can buy allot of parts for 24 grand. 

Share this post


Link to post
DarkSide
2 minutes ago, malibu2004 said:

You can buy allot of parts for 24 grand. 

Yes, but it can also go really fast.  I can only imagine the cost to buy and replace the Tranny.  (Mine blew last August at 130 hours)

Share this post


Link to post
powderjay

Is there a tranny issue with the 15 ?!?  That would tilt the tables!

Share this post


Link to post
TallRedRider

I think 97.5K seems like a pretty solid deal.  Since your dealer called you out of the blue, it seems he is working his customer list and must be anxious to move a few boats.  I like that sort of dealer.  

I am a tightwad when it comes to new boats, but I think when you are serious about selling a newish boat, you should take a 10% beating the day you bought it, another 10% the first time you use it, and then 10% per year for the first several years.  So by the TRR theory of boat depreciation...a 100K boat goes, 91K, 82K, and then 74K.  And 74K is about what they offered you on trade in.  So I think the deal is fair.   

Whether or not you should do it is a whole 'nuther question.   Parting with an extra 24K puts stress on some families to pay the bills, and obviously limits opportunities for something else.  If it will not create undue stress, go for it.  I think at the end of the year, the odds you will be happier with the 17 than with the 15 you like a lot are pretty small.  

Share this post


Link to post
DarkSide
20 minutes ago, powderjay said:

Is there a tranny issue with the 15 ?!?  That would tilt the tables!

Just mine!  Broke a few teeth off the gears... I am also pushing tons of weight and massive torque.

Edited by DarkSide

Share this post


Link to post
Fffrank

In my mind you're close to being through the most expensive phase of ownership (initial taxes, steepest depreciation, initial upgrades, etc.)  Your annual cost of ownership starts to average down at this point and I wouldn't want to reset that.

(Ahem....  I'm in a 2004 and probably a much lower tax-bracket so take my words with some grains of salt.)

Share this post


Link to post
ConnollyCrew
13 hours ago, powderjay said:

Yes,  need to get the number down a bit.  If it stays at 24 I don't think I'll do the deal. Hoping to get it around 20K.  

I was thinking 18..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Nitrousbird

I'd say that 19 year old design Monsoon 350 is a bit underpowered for your current rig (and honestly should have never been offered, 6.0 should have been the base motor).  So you have to factor in the motor upgrade in this deal, as I wouldn't exactly call it an apples to apples comparison. 

Then you should think about the other factors.  WS stereo shouldn't even be mentioned...very easily retrofitted to whatever specs you want.  So figure in the motor upgrade cost had you done it on your current boat.  Then figure in any options this boat has that yours doesn't.  Once you get that number...is the price difference a depreciation hit you are willing to take?  If it is, go for it.  If not - pass. 

Share this post


Link to post
ahopkinsVTX
12 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I'd say that 19 year old design Monsoon 350 is a bit underpowered for your current rig (and honestly should have never been offered, 6.0 should have been the base motor).  So you have to factor in the motor upgrade in this deal, as I wouldn't exactly call it an apples to apples comparison. 

Then you should think about the other factors.  WS stereo shouldn't even be mentioned...very easily retrofitted to whatever specs you want.  So figure in the motor upgrade cost had you done it on your current boat.  Then figure in any options this boat has that yours doesn't.  Once you get that number...is the price difference a depreciation hit you are willing to take?  If it is, go for it.  If not - pass. 

I disagree on the stereo. For 9/10 people it will be awesome and require zero additions/updates or even a tune. It blows the previous Malibu stereos out of the water. It is for sure something to consider in the 17's.

Share this post


Link to post
Nitrousbird
39 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I disagree on the stereo. For 9/10 people it will be awesome and require zero additions/updates or even a tune. It blows the previous Malibu stereos out of the water. It is for sure something to consider in the 17's.

No one is arguing it is better.  I am simply stating it is an easy retrofit and would be dumb to sell a boat simply for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Tims

The delta between the offer for your 15 and the price of the 17 seems a little large considering that your only real upgrade is the motor. What was your front end deal on the 15 that you are in? 

Share this post


Link to post
tjklein

I wouldn't upgrade from 15 to 17.  The boats are almost identical except for a few things.  Yes, the motor makes a decent difference but if it hasn't been a huge problem to this point waiting until the 2018 23 will be worth the wait.  The 23LSV will be due for some big changes.  It's their #1 model and if you look at the lineup you'll see a redesign is coming.

 

But, it's up to you.  It's always fun getting a new boat!

 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...