Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fake-a-Lake + Camco 65501 Winterize Fail

I can't get the hose off to do that. Maybe I'll work a little harder on removing it. The ends are in a spot where my hands will probably get all beat up trying to pull them and there's really no good way to get a good grip and a strong pull.

I was thinking about using a dremel and grinding off 2 of the 4 barbs on each side of the fitting to make them slide on a little easier. I think the ends on the V drive only have the single rounded "barb" allowing the hose to slide on easier.  

11 hours ago, gobble said:

I can't get the hose off to do that. Maybe I'll work a little harder on removing it. The ends are in a spot where my hands will probably get all beat up trying to pull them and there's really no good way to get a good grip and a strong pull.

I was thinking about using a dremel and grinding off 2 of the 4 barbs on each side of the fitting to make them slide on a little easier. I think the ends on the V drive only have the single rounded "barb" allowing the hose to slide on easier.  

If your having problems removing the hose at the hull mount. Loosen both of the hose clamps enough and grab on to it and pull up hard.  You almost feel like your going to break it but it will come off of that shut off valve hull mount thing.  Its super easy to put back on.

8 hours ago, klingsdesigns said:

If your having problems removing the hose at the hull mount. Loosen both of the hose clamps enough and grab on to it and pull up hard.  You almost feel like your going to break it but it will come off of that shut off valve hull mount thing.  Its super easy to put back on.

Thanks, I was able to get it off the hull mount last night by doing what you said. The V drive was a whole different story. I had to cut it off, but no big deal because the hose needs to be shortened with adding the T.

I'll say that this project is one of the hardest things I've ever done, and I've dropped an engine from a Ferrari in my garage.....  I tried heating the hose, boiling the hose, lubricating the hose, and it's almost impossible to get the hose all the way onto the T fitting. I got one side last night and not looking forward to the rest of this project. What I thought would be 30 minutes turned into several hours.

30 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

did you put some dish soap in the hose?

I tried dish soap, silicone spray, white lithium grease, spit, pb blaster, just about everything.

51 minutes ago, gobble said:

Thanks, I was able to get it off the hull mount last night by doing what you said. The V drive was a whole different story. I had to cut it off, but no big deal because the hose needs to be shortened with adding the T.

I'll say that this project is one of the hardest things I've ever done, and I've dropped an engine from a Ferrari in my garage.....  I tried heating the hose, boiling the hose, lubricating the hose, and it's almost impossible to get the hose all the way onto the T fitting. I got one side last night and not looking forward to the rest of this project. What I thought would be 30 minutes turned into several hours.

Just think how easy all the next years will be now that it will be done..

Yeah, but I have a habit of wanting to buy different boats... Hopefully this isn't all being done for the next guy.

One thing to add is that I mentioned earlier how my fake a lake attempt at siphoning off the swim platform had failed. I'm not so sure that it didn't work. I disconnected the hose coupling above the V drive just to get better access to the intake hose and I'd guess close to a gallon of antifreeze dumped out into the bilge. A pump added to a fake a lake would have saved me a lot of headache, but I agree next year will be a breeze.

I wonder if that Perko flush fitting is as hard to install or if the barbs are a little smaller.

10 hours ago, gobble said:

I tried dish soap, silicone spray, white lithium grease, spit, pb blaster, just about everything.

I've had good luck drilling a hole in a 2 by x board just big enough to fit the hose through, clamp the board in a vice and put the hose through so the end sticks above the board about 1/2 inch or so, then hit it with a heat gun and get it nice and hot then wiggle and press the fitting barbs in as far as you can. Slide the hose up a bit and repeat. Split the board to get the hose off if you have to.

• Like 1

Ok, so you guys are pretty ingenious with all the fake a lakes. 

Any ideas on how to winterize our boat without access to a garden hose? I can launch it on the water and warm it up and run fuel stabilizer but don't have access to a garden hose at storage place. Have looked around the little town where it is at and can't find a legitimate way to get a garden hose hooked up for fogging the engine and running anti-freeze through it. This is the the CA central valley so winterize would be a precaution but it will be outside all winter shrink wrapped ( reached 27F last year on a few days). Way too much effort to drive it home just to use a hose. 

1. Should I just drain all the water in the engine and ballast and skip antifreeze?

2. Is there an easy way to take the water out of a full ballast tank and use it to fake a lake the boat for 10-15 mins? I have one hard tank, and two soft tanks from wake makers. 

3. Is there such things as RV type parks where you can pay to plug into a hose for a little bit? 

thanks 

20 minutes ago, Air Tahoe said:

Ok, so you guys are pretty ingenious with all the fake a lakes. 

Any ideas on how to winterize our boat without access to a garden hose? I can launch it on the water and warm it up and run fuel stabilizer but don't have access to a garden hose at storage place. Have looked around the little town where it is at and can't find a legitimate way to get a garden hose hooked up for fogging the engine and running anti-freeze through it. This is the the CA central valley so winterize would be a precaution but it will be outside all winter shrink wrapped ( reached 27F last year on a few days). Way too much effort to drive it home just to use a hose. 

1. Should I just drain all the water in the engine and ballast and skip antifreeze?

2. Is there an easy way to take the water out of a full ballast tank and use it to fake a lake the boat for 10-15 mins? I have one hard tank, and two soft tanks from wake makers. 

3. Is there such things as RV type parks where you can pay to plug into a hose for a little bit? 

thanks 

1) Drain water out of engine and heater

2) Pour antifreeze into heater hoses and the large hoses on the thermostat housing

No need to start the boat or have a hose

On 18.10.2016 at 4:50 AM, gobble said:

I looked under the boat and antifreeze seemed to be coming out of the hole where the shaft leaves the boat. Strange.

On 18.10.2016 at 5:15 AM, MLA said:

your boat likely had a dripless seal, which is cooled and lubricated by raw water flow. So any fluid flow into the raw water pickup, would exit the shaft seal area. 

I have the same issue with my 2010 VLX, all the water is coming from the shaft leaves, no water through the exhaust. I have a fresh water cooling system, so I just have to flush the external circulation. Could it be that I haven't enough pressure on the raw water circulation, as I have just let the Raw water pump suck it from a bucket (higher lavel than fake a lake)? Would it help if I use an external pump to pump water to the fake a lake?

5 hours ago, Maisbiensuer said:

Would it help if I use an external pump to pump water to the fake a lake?

water from a garden hose, yes, antifreeze from your bucket would just get forced out between the plunger and hull. Most of your pink stuff would be on the ground. The most effective way to introduce AF into the block on an inboard, is through a flush-pro type fitting or a fitting into the removed raw water intake hose.  

My suggestion to make the job easier in the future is not to do it in the first place.  :-)

Anti-freeze in a boat engine can be a fierce topic of debate, right up there with best oil, best filter, best surf wave, best prop, best wax, or Donald vs Hillary.  :-)  But reading the challenges shared in this post reminds me why I have never put anti-freeze in a boat for the winter (20+ years).  It adds expense and a lot of time, is painful to get it to flow properly (probably more burned up impellers from this than any other process), and even the enviro-friendly stuff isn't something you really want to dump onto the ground (or God-forbid, into the lake) when you start the boat in the spring.

I don't see any benefit of putting the stuff in your engine for the off-season.  It's very simple to get all of the water to drain from the engine **if you follow directions** - so you are not protecting anything from freezing when no water is present.  I am also skeptical of the "protection from corrosion" argument...the engine is completely full of raw water 7x24 during the boating season (if you don't have closed cooling).

• Like 1