Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
67King

What to look out for - 2001 Sportster

Recommended Posts

67King

May go take a look at a project boat this weekend.  67Queen popped a gasket, but I want to at least go look at it before I get her too mad or whatever.  Boat won't start (starter needs to be installed), so I won't be able to check out that.  But is there anything structurally I need to be looking for?  Anything problematic in one of these of this era?  If it looks good on the outside, I"ll likely do a leakdown test on it to see how the engine is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eagle River Mike

There is no wood in that boat so there shouldn't be any structural issues unless the boat was damaged.  Also check for the dreaded HDS leak.  What motor?   2001's were simple without a lot of electronics.  My 2001 Response has been super reliable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
67King

It is listed as a 350 Mercruiser.  Beyond that, I don't know.  Hoping to look Saturday, but don't know.  Thanks for the heads-up on the HDS box.  I won't be able to tell if it leaks or not, but I'll take a look at it.  Should probably assume it will based on what I've read (I'd never heard of it until you mentioned it, so I really appreciate it - that's EXACTLY the kind of feedback I was after), and probably need to budget $750 or so for a fix to have it professionally done......though I could try it myself given how much fibgerglass and carbon fiber and crap I have laying around for the race car stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
powbmps

Nice little ski boats.  Not a lot of space, but they fly.  The one we skied behind this summer is a 2001 or 2002.  Sits in the lake all summer, with no leaking issues.  The people that own it don't do anything to it.  Dirty motor and bilge make me sad, but it starts right up every time and runs great.  Holly carb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
85 Barefoot

I don't know if the sportster used an HDS box, but even if it did, it doesn't leak where you think it would (around the box) because the box is a liner and the leak is between the liner and the inside of the hull and will most often be in "the front".  I don't know that HDS leak is a huge deal anyway on a 15 year old boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
67King

Alright, so I finally looked at it.  Boat is in pretty good shape considering.  It has about 1500 hours, but that's an estimate as the gauge quit working.  The boat was in an accident and it took out the windshield, propshaft, fin.  It was late and he ran under a fallen tree.  A branch above water did the windshield, below got the underside.  The propshaft and prop were repaired and replaced by the dealer from whom he bought the boat.....and the one from whom I bought mine, so I know that is good.  Concner number 1 is that the replacement windshield is too wide.  About 2" which he indicated can be removed from the center pane and frame.  I don't see a 2000 vintage boat with a beam only 2" wider.....so I have no idea what it could be from.  ANyone ever see anyting like that?  The other big concnern is that the sticker is dated 2011.  So it has been sitting for at least 5 years (you can get 3 year registrations here, so as many as 8).  It was winterized, but the engine could be locked up.  I can get a prybar dn try to turn over the engine, but it is a 3 hour round trip to go look at it.  I'm sure all hoses will be shot, so I'll need to budget that.  And the carburetor will need to be addressed.  Not sure what else.  Overall I did really like the boat, though.  But even at half price (relative to NADA), it has a lot of things that are concerning.

 

Any thoughts?  Any feedback on that windshield (what it may have come from, whether it can be cut down and used)?  And anyone ever revive a boat that had been sitting that long?

Edited by 67King

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeaitsslo

How much is he asking?? For the right price almost anything is worth it.  Without being able to run the motor or put it in the water I'd personally assume the worst about it.   But I'm not much of a risk taker so maybe that's why. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ski40mph

What about the MMDC? Those go bad and can't be replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
footndale

What is the price? Sound like a lot of "what ifs" that could be very expensive to fix.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michigan boarder

Funny you posted that footndale, I was thinking of mentioning mine too.  Actually that's not mine that you linked, but a nice looking boat!  Mine is here.  Dirt cheap.  933 hours, with the 454.  Had it sold to a ski team, but then they got a boat donated to them.  I did get a call on it 3 days ago.

Edit: I was about to pull that ad too.  If it does not sell very soon, I'm pulling the ad, installing a different fuel pump, and relisting it in the spring for $9.5k.

Edited by Malibudude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michigan boarder
46 minutes ago, 67King said:

Ask is $7K.

WAYYYYY too much work for $7k.  I would steer way clear of that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
67King
1 hour ago, Michigan boarder said:

Funny you posted that footndale, I was thinking of mentioning mine too.  Actually that's not mine that you linked, but a nice looking boat!  Mine is here.  Dirt cheap.  933 hours, with the 454.  Had it sold to a ski team, but then they got a boat donated to them.  I did get a call on it 3 days ago.

http://muskegon.craigslist.org/boa/5759350648.html

Edit: I was about to pull that ad too.  If it does not sell very soon, I'm pulling the ad, installing a different fuel pump, and relisting it in the spring for $9.5k.

I remember reading about yours and the vapor lock issue.  I thought it was long gone, as it seemed to have been spoken for right away.  Very intriguing boat for certain.  I do prefer t..he smaller Sportster, though.  I'd love an early 90's Pro Star.  But frankly, about the only way I'll convince 67Queen is if I buy a project boat I can fix (yours would fall into that category) and sell if we don't use it.  Or at least that story, but I think the kids will like a ski wake for skiing.  I know I will.

 

Surprised y'all think that is way too much.  If the engine isn't locked up (and if it is, he said he'd drop the price in half, again), it is pretty much all rubber seals (and I'll do the work, myself) from sitting, and the windshield and fin.  I have half a mind to put a 3.0L Turbodiesel from a Mercedes I have (needs a transmission, which would cost more than the car's value - used ones don't work, as each is coded to the specific car as part of anti-theft), but I would have no idea how to control that thing.

 

What do y'all think would be a good price?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeaitsslo

I wouldn't pay more the 3 for a non running hull.  And the interior would have to be perfect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michigan boarder
13 hours ago, 67King said:

I remember reading about yours and the vapor lock issue.  I thought it was long gone, as it seemed to have been spoken for right away.  Very intriguing boat for certain.  I do prefer t..he smaller Sportster, though.  I'd love an early 90's Pro Star.  But frankly, about the only way I'll convince 67Queen is if I buy a project boat I can fix (yours would fall into that category) and sell if we don't use it.  Or at least that story, but I think the kids will like a ski wake for skiing.  I know I will.

 

Surprised y'all think that is way too much.  If the engine isn't locked up (and if it is, he said he'd drop the price in half, again), it is pretty much all rubber seals (and I'll do the work, myself) from sitting, and the windshield and fin.  I have half a mind to put a 3.0L Turbodiesel from a Mercedes I have (needs a transmission, which would cost more than the car's value - used ones don't work, as each is coded to the specific car as part of anti-theft), but I would have no idea how to control that thing.

 

What do y'all think would be a good price?  

I think I'd still just steer away from this boat and look for something that needs an engine but has been otherwise well cared for.  Finding the right windshield and/or trying to fit the wrong one would be a deal breaker for me, regardless of the price, plus the fact that the underwater area took a hit too.  If you are set on a Sportster I'd just look for one with a sun-destroyed interior and a bad engine, seems those will pop up every so often.  Then it's a matter of replacing items, and not fabricating.  But that's me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John I.
17 hours ago, 67King said:

I remember reading about yours and the vapor lock issue.  I thought it was long gone, as it seemed to have been spoken for right away.  Very intriguing boat for certain.  I do prefer t..he smaller Sportster, though.  I'd love an early 90's Pro Star.  But frankly, about the only way I'll convince 67Queen is if I buy a project boat I can fix (yours would fall into that category) and sell if we don't use it.  Or at least that story, but I think the kids will like a ski wake for skiing.  I know I will.

 

Surprised y'all think that is way too much.  If the engine isn't locked up (and if it is, he said he'd drop the price in half, again), it is pretty much all rubber seals (and I'll do the work, myself) from sitting, and the windshield and fin.  I have half a mind to put a 3.0L Turbodiesel from a Mercedes I have (needs a transmission, which would cost more than the car's value - used ones don't work, as each is coded to the specific car as part of anti-theft), but I would have no idea how to control that thing.

 

What do y'all think would be a good price?  

Aren't the Echelon and Sportster both 20'? Sportster is a few inches narrower and a couple hundred pounds lighter.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
67King
1 minute ago, John I. said:

Aren't the Echelon and Sportster both 20'? Sportster is a few inches narrower and a couple hundred pounds lighter.  

Both 20', but the Echelon has a 90" beam to the Sportster's 84", and it weighs 2600 pounds compared to 2250.  I'm probably way too hung up on the weight thing, but that comes from my whole race car thing where weight is an obsession.  Getting it in and out of my garage will be one of the factors, too, since I've got an enclosed race car trailer parked just outside of it, which will make it really tight.  That said, the more I look at it, the more ridiculous it is when that Echelon is there and available for teh same kind of money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michigan boarder
2 minutes ago, 67King said:

Both 20', but the Echelon has a 90" beam to the Sportster's 84", and it weighs 2600 pounds compared to 2250.  I'm probably way too hung up on the weight thing, but that comes from my whole race car thing where weight is an obsession.  Getting it in and out of my garage will be one of the factors, too, since I've got an enclosed race car trailer parked just outside of it, which will make it really tight.  That said, the more I look at it, the more ridiculous it is when that Echelon is there and available for teh same kind of money. 

...with 395hp and almost 500ft/lbs of torque too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John I.

Splitting hairs, but the Sportster is listed as a 86" beam. 

I bet that 454 handles the extra weight of the Echy just fine.  :biggrin:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michigan boarder
21 hours ago, footndale said:

@Michigan boarder has an echeleon for cheaper.

 

Or these http://madison.craigslist.org/boa/5798837416.html

I'm all about selling my boat, but man that yellow Sportster is sweet.  I'd be giving that a very serious look too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
67King
22 hours ago, John I. said:

Splitting hairs, but the Sportster is listed as a 86" beam. 

I bet that 454 handles the extra weight of the Echy just fine.  :biggrin:

 

 

It isn't the engine I'm worried about, it is plowing water.  Beam is roughly 5% wider, but mass is 15% more (probably even more with the big block), so it will be putting more mass down on the same area of water.  Like I said, though, I have a real hangup with weight due to the whole race car thing (e.g. I took my current car down from over 3000 pounds to under 2300, even after adding a roll cage, to try to keep it competitive in class).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...