Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast Upgrade Dual Fill & Drain Pump on Rear PNP

The Hulk

Gas tank is slightly off center if I raise one pump 1-2" higher than the other it should fit. But would need a union to attach pump to valves can't turn pumps to thread onto valves.. 

rps20161014_184240.jpg

Edited by The Hulk
6 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

And what is that yellow thing on back of center hard tank.. there must be a tank with two pumps? Maybe center or bow?

Yellow thing looks like you bilge pump.  I believe there is on the back and one in the center.  That would account for two holes.

http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/product.aspx?Category_ID=10008&Product_ID=10002&FriendlyID=Supersub-Smart-Family

Edited by store934
  • Like 2

I think this is the breakdown on the 10 holes.

"5 holes on side of boat by driver" - 1 bow vent, 1 bow drain, 1 center drain, 1 center vent, 1 bilge

"3 on rear behind" -1 vent, 1 drain, 1 bilge

"2 on other side rear" - 1 vent, 1 drain,

Edited by store934
4 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

Yellow is bilge pump. One of those pumps in there is the center tank drain pump. 

Are u sure? Thought they all had through hulls valves but Need to look again maybe one was mounted on a 90 

On October 3, 2016 at 4:51 PM, teamerickson said:

If you go with reversibles you only need one pump per bag and wouldn't need the anti siphon loop.

I could be wrong, but I think having a vent line on the bag should decrease fill times. There's enough pressure to spill it out the hard tank vent line when the bags are only about half full. I would think without that pressure they will fill faster. Try that first.

I have to say I agree with going with reversibles.  I'm doing that install right now myself....I'm installing 2 reversible pumps using the existing rear drain "T" (sharing it) and using the exiting vent lines from the rear hard tanks.  No holes needed!  If you really wanted could you drill one hole so each pump has it's own.  I've read this is not necessary.  IMO this is the way to go!  Your solution seems complicated.....

Edited by MJR63
3 hours ago, MJR63 said:

I have to say I agree with going with reversibles.  I'm doing that install right now myself....I'm installing 2 reversible pumps using the existing rear drain "T" (sharing it) and using the exiting vent lines from the rear hard tanks.  No holes needed!  If you really wanted could you drill one hole so each pump has it's own.  I've read this is not necessary.  IMO this is the way to go!  Your solution seems complicated.....

is the rear drain hole 1" or 3/4" ... need to check mine.. 

the only thing i worry about with reversibles is when the bags are empty they would be running dry. I guess a solution would be to swap the current drain pump with a reversible. then i'd still have two fills but only one drain, unless i rig an extra normal pump to bag only to assist. 

FYI on a 2016 25lsv there is no way you could fit these bigger pumps as a swap out for the drain pumps behind the hard tanks that i can see...not enough room. swapping fill pumps will be probably the same but may have a way...i just fear if one goes bad its going to be a nightmare to change them if they do fit...you will have to disconnect engine/gas lines etc..

13 hours ago, The Hulk said:

the only thing i worry about with reversibles is when the bags are empty they would be running dry. I guess a solution would be to swap the current drain pump with a reversible. then i'd still have two fills but only one drain, unless i rig an extra normal pump to bag only to assist. 

Direct from the WakeMAKERS website:

"The WakeMAKERS Johnson Pumps feature the NEW orange impeller which delivers faster fill/drain times and it's more reliable than the previous models. A built in run dry system gives you all the extra insurance you need if you ever forget to turn your pump off."

Plus I've heard they make a very different sound once the bags are empty.  

The Johnson Ultra Ballast pump comes with the orange impeller and run-dry protection, regardless if who puts their own label on it. The Jabsco also comes with run-dry and the green impeller. The green has been a reliable impeller for years. They both make that funky honk sound when the sac is empty. No real difference between the Johnson or Jabsco

• Like 2

Ohh man I was checking and checking and was like maaaan it's gonna be tight.. that pic confirms that..did u use Unions because u can't unthread or thread pumps otherwise?

I was also going to offset the heights of each by 1" so they would overlap better if too close tight.. just wondering about if the hole is any bit off your FUBAR

Edited by The Hulk

@DarkSide no Check valve or vented loop?

How do they work? Fast?

Still wondering what hardware u used? Through hull to 1" valve to nipple to a union? Then another nipple to pump? I didn't think u could rotate pumps ?

Edited by The Hulk

Neither, direct to top of bag,  then the bag has separate vent.  Because the hose goes higher than the bag, passive draining has not been an issue.  

Very fast 4.5 minutes for 1500 pounds per side.  They are in parallel with factory pumps so, not sure how much each does.  Drain does not have secondary pumps and it's slow....15 minutes or so.