Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Cmb396

300 hour mark...

Recommended Posts

Cmb396

Just hit 300 on my 13 lsv, it has the L96 in it. Any thing particular that needs to be done other than standard oil change and winterization? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Fman

Trans fluid?  I do mine every 100 hours or annually.  I think the fuel filter is supposed to be changed as well.  Impeller which I am sure you have done already done.

Edited by Fman

Share this post


Link to post
Cmb396

This is my first year with the boat, and yea, forgot about the impeller. Previous owner out a new one in every year. 

Will check trans fluid too.

Share this post


Link to post
oldjeep

 

Spark plugs would be at the top of the list if you haven't done them yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Fman
55 minutes ago, Cmb396 said:

This is my first year with the boat, and yea, forgot about the impeller. Previous owner out a new one in every year. 

Will check trans fluid too.

The trans fluid will more than likely look fine, I would just change it anyway.  It is about $10 in fluid, very easy with your basic pump.

I personally would not touch the plugs until 500 hours, most of these new plugs can go 100,000 miles.  I don't think 300 hours on a boat equates to 100,000 miles on a vehicle.  To each is own, it definitely won't hurt just might not be necessary at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
racer808
14 hours ago, oldjeep said:

 

Spark plugs would be at the top of the list if you haven't done them yet.

At 300 hours should plug wires be changed?  I'm at 275 hours and looking for a winter garage project.  So far all I've done is fluid changes and re tightening every screw bolt I can find.  You'd be amazed how the MBs rattler apart

Share this post


Link to post
oldjeep

Book says 300 for plugs and to inspect plug wires, oddly enough the book says nothing about cap and rotor interval (for boats that have them). 

Plug wires should last a long time (for boats that have them). That being said, my plugs, cap/rotor and plug wires were all replaced at just under 200 hours because I was having a problem.  

Share this post


Link to post
malibu2004
2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Book says 300 for plugs and to inspect plug wires, oddly enough the book says nothing about cap and rotor interval (for boats that have them). 

Plug wires should last a long time (for boats that have them). That being said, my plugs, cap/rotor and plug wires were all replaced at just under 200 hours because I was having a problem.  

I would change them all so you do have to remember when you changed out parts. It's a boat and needs to be babied. 

I would also check your drive shaft gap. 

Share this post


Link to post
oldjeep
Just now, malibu2004 said:

I would change them all so you do have to remember when you changed out parts. It's a boat and needs to be babied. 

I would also check your drive shaft gap. 

"Remembering" is a bad idea, there is a handy place in the back of the Malibu manual for recording maintenance.  I'd like to think I could remember from year to year what I do to each boat I take care of but history proves I can't.

Share this post


Link to post
malibu2004
50 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

"Remembering" is a bad idea, there is a handy place in the back of the Malibu manual for recording maintenance.  I'd like to think I could remember from year to year what I do to each boat I take care of but history proves I can't.

Totally agree that remembering is a bad idea when it comes to boats. I'm so anal about my boat I keep every old part I've changed other than filters and fluids. Yea it's a sickness I know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Nitrousbird

I started having a misfire @ 350hrs.  That said, I can't say for sure if it was plugs or the wires.  3 wires broke taking them off (Indmar wires are overpriced garbage) and did new plugs and far better (and cheaper) cut-to-fit wires at that time.  Whether it was the plug or wires, it fixed the misfire for good.  I don't have a cap/rotor so no need to maintain there.

Fuel filter would be a good idea.  If running the Johnson impeller, I'd probably swap it.  If running a Globe, just inspect it.  Trans fluid is cheap/easy - as is the V-drive oil...though both will look brand new when you change them.  If you have full or partial closed cooling, I'd do a coolant change as well.

Edited by Nitrousbird

Share this post


Link to post
oldjeep

If you can find a fuel filter on a modern engine then I'll change it;). These boats have sock on pump like most modern cars and trucks.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...