Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Gate

DirtCity

I'll echo the earlier note that if all of the fancy/luxury stuff isn't super important to you, an Axis could be an excellent alternative that could get you into a new/almost new boat with SG in the price range you're looking at.  Good friend of mine had one until quite recently and it was an awesome surfing boat.  Also along those lines if less fancy/techy/luxury is OK and if boats made by manufacturers other than Malibu are within the realm of what you'd consider, I'll throw a suggestion to at least check out MB since you live out here on the west coast.  With a little bit of effort, you should be able to get a brand new one with a surf system right in your price range (I know that because I did it myself).  I think the SG wave is prettier than what my MB puts out but I have found the wave my F22 puts out to be great. Just an alternative, not trying to suggest that you shouldn't get a Malibu product.

With regard to SG vs. non-SG, the pure ease of use of an SG equipped boat (or other boat with a surf system) is a huge plus in my opinion.

Edited by SoulSurfer
  • Like 3

absolutely get surfgate.  not to mention resale.  I have a 15 A22 and I put 4000 lbs ballast in it.  love it.  I tried list the boat to try it that way but mywife (driver) wouldn't do it.  so we sink it evenly.  all of the other points already mentioned.

On 9/27/2016 at 8:17 AM, DirtCity said:

Hi All,

If you want to surf about 80% of the time (will still wakeboard / Wake skate, pull tube, etc.), how big of a deal is pre 2013 23 LSVs without surfgate? Is it really just the ability to switch sides, or does it improve the wake to a point that it dramatically cuts down on setup time? It has been about 8 years since I owned my last Malibu, so don't really need all of the bling and new electronics.  It will be fairly easy for me to go demo a Malibu with Surf Gate, but not so easy for me to demo one that doesn't have it.  I am in the market for used, especially given what appears to be a pretty hefty price hike on the 2017 Axis boats.  It is just unclear to me how difficult it is to get a surf wave setup on a pre 2013 model. I have younger kids that will want to try it out, along with folks that will want a modified (less aggressive wave). 

Any info or feedback would be great.  Thanks all!

Great feedback throughout this thread minus one thing, surf transfers, once you experience that with any consistentency ir even just once and you'll understand why just people snd small bag or lead listing with even heavy stock,pnp, full wedge  is the best setup, transfers are way cool and you need to practice backside to get there