Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which Used Boat Would You Get?

3sport

Which Used Boat Would You Buy?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming they're the same price, which boat would you buy:

• Loaded 2013 G23 with ZR450 and 740 hours on the motor
    • 2015 VLX with 350, torque prop, G3.2 tower and only 25 hours. Effectively a new boat that is loaded except for the base engine and tower.

1 hour ago, bamaboy said:

The great part about the 16 and newer Gs is that you can adjust all of that with the pebble watch.  Did they have one to try?

You can go from 0 to 5 on both NCRS and NSS, adjust speed by 0.1 increments, volume, and switch sides.  The pebble watch setup is legit.

We didn't have a pebble watch to try out this time.

We also didn't take on any water at all, the rooster tail coming at the walk through only seemed like it was an issue when throttling down from wakeboard speed, not while surfing.

Edited by NWBU

Bama- will do. I'm skeptical, but I don't think Adam would waste his breath in telling me that.

Also, I missed the comments on water coming up walkthrough..... I have never seen it come in the walkthrough while surfing. Not on either generation, not once. Wakeboarding, however, it definitely will if you chop the throttle. I usually turn the wheel just a little bit, and it directs the water away so it doesn't come in. (Or feather the throttle back)

2 hours ago, NWBU said:

We also didn't take on any water at all, the rooster tail coming at the walk through only seemed like it was an issue when throttling down from wakeboard speed, not while surfing.

I'm confused.  Weren't you guys on the same demo?

Not hard to correct though.  Another option in addition to what 1021 suggested is chop it then give a small boost before she stops.  

Not hard to correct though.  Another option in addition to what 1021 suggested is chop it then give a small boost before she stops.  

Yeah, same demo but we never took any water over the stern. Just saw the potential for it to happen if someone's not paying attention while wakeboarding.

Just now, NWBU said:

Yeah, same demo but we never took any water over the stern. Just saw the potential for it to happen if someone's not paying attention while wakeboarding.

Just like the potential to take water over the bow in a VLX.. if you're not paying attention...while surfing.   That's all I was getting at 

1 hour ago, -BS- said:

Just like the potential to take water over the bow in a VLX.. if you're not paying attention...while surfing.   That's all I was getting at 

You won't take water over the stern surfing on a 16 or newer G23.  It doesn't happen.  It looks like it will every time and never does. I can't speak to the prior years but it seems others haven't experienced that.

Wakeboarding fully loaded, on the other hand, yes.  That is a concern.  You need to have an attentive driver.

Edited by bamaboy
  • Like 1

oh. my. god.

Yeah.  We've got it.

The VLX is prone to taking water over the bow while surfing (if you're fully loaded) and not paying attention.

The G is prone to taking water over the stern while wakeboarding or cruising (if you're fully loaded) and not paying attention.

3sport seemed like water over the bow would be a concern for him.  I was just saying, if that's a real concern for him, even with his PhD in Rocket Science, he should also be aware of the issue with the G's.

Personally, I'm use to driving a loaded inboard, so the bow thing wouldn't be on MY list of concerns.  BUT, being that I haven't piloted a slammed I/O in 10 years......I would have to relearn the habit of not chopping the throttle when wakeboarding (or cruising while ballasted).  That's a common issue with heavily ballasted I/O's too. 

Edited by -BS-
2 hours ago, -BS- said:

oh. my. god.

Yeah.  We've got it.

The VLX is prone to taking water over the bow while surfing (if you're fully loaded) and not paying attention.

The G is prone to taking water over the stern while wakeboarding or cruising (if you're fully loaded) and not paying attention.

3sport seemed like water over the bow would be a concern for him.  I was just saying, if that's a real concern for him, even with his PhD in Rocket Science, he should also be aware of the issue with the G's

Simmer down there big guy.  I know you're an expert on the G23 after your 2 hour demo but for a guy like 3 sport (possibly buying a G) it is an important distinction.

I was clarifying what you were saying.  Your initial post on the topic stated that "every time" you chop the throttle you have to worry about taking on water.  You didn't say anything about being FULLY LOADED.  There's a big difference.

I get it though.  Simply a minor oversight on your part that required attention. 

Back on topic: Were you able to set up a demo 3sport?  I'm interested in your take on the pre 2016 G wave.

Edited by bamaboy
On 9/23/2016 at 9:52 AM, -BS- said:

I'm no expert on this boat, but I rode a 17 G23 last night, with straight stock ballast (no plug n play, no nothing) and the wave was great (port side).  I'd say it was a B+ right out of the box. 

Different strokes for different folks, but the new G's are the ONLY boat I've ever ridden behind that I'd vouch for as having a legit 'turn key' wave.  The RI?  I'm not sure how to quantify it, because "stock" meant having a ton of bags under the seats.  But if a guy wants to consider that "stock", then the RI is legit too. 

As far as that "lip":  That IS the lip.  It isn't "in the middle".........the wave just sets up a little more off center than most boats.

As far as having "no push"......  I have to admit, I'm starting to realize that by "push" you guys mean that the wave is hooking......and literally pushing from behind when you fall back in the wave.   And yeah, this wave doesn't hook much.   It's a down-the-line performance wave.........which I prefer.  (FWIW: I always considered push to be kinda the same as power, because "power" is what you should really be looking for in the back of the wave.......that's what will allow you to ride back there and not just be saved)

@3sport  I'd def go with the VLX for your needs.  The new tranny & hulls on the G's kinda makes the older ones obsolete (maybe not today, but when you go to sell anyway).  Plus the VLX is plenty of boat......... Good luck!

Clearly stated my experience behind the boat.

On 9/23/2016 at 11:00 AM, bamaboy said:

I would say this is pretty much identical to my assessment of the G.  Thanks BS for an unbiased, good review.  And I mean that.  No sarcasm.  

20 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

BS assessment is spot on. I couldn't have said it better.

23 hours ago, -BS- said:

@3sport

As far as 'chili dipping' 

Its either occasional water over the bow... or occasional water over the stern.  And I don't say that to sway your opinion one way or another.  Both boats are awesome.  You'll be happy either way.  But you have to be on point every single time you pull off that throttle with the G.... or you'll take water over the stern.

21 hours ago, bamaboy said:

Wakeboarding full ballast?  Yep.  Definitely.

Surfing full ballast and full crew?  Nope.  Not for me.  Never once taken water over the stern surfing.  Not doubting your experience just saying I have never had it happen.

Do you mean you actually took on water over the walkthrough surfing?

20 hours ago, NWBU said:

17 hours ago, bamaboy said:

16 hours ago, NWBU said:

Psssssssst.  I liked that.

16 hours ago, -BS- said:

I even clarified here.

14 hours ago, bamaboy said:

You won't take water over the stern surfing on a 16 or newer G23.  It doesn't happen.

Simmer down there big guy.  I know you're an expert on the G23 after your 2 hour demo but for a guy like 3 sport (possibly buying a G) it is an important distinction.

Doc.  You're being a jackhole.

I've reviewed waves for years.  You've always been first in line to tell me I have no idea what I'm doing.   UNTIL, of course, I say something positive about the boat you own, right?  Then I'm an unbiased genius all of the sudden?  After 15 flipping minutes behind the boat?  Give me a break.   The level of irony is ridiculous.   But don't worry, eventually my opinions won't align with yours and I'll be back to being the arrogant idiot you're use to.

As far as my ONE (negative?) comment:   I'm deeply sorry that that wasn't clear enough for you the first time.  NWBU very clearly answered each of your petty attempts at stirring the pot.  I even "liked" those (and I know how you fellas monitor those likes).  Then I clarified as well.   Yet YOU'RE STILL trying to stir the pot?

Get a life, will you?

@3sport Sorry for the derail.

BS, I think you are getting a tad too riled up here my friend.  I initially agreed with your assessment of THE WAVE and it was spot on.  I never said anything different.  It was very accurate and your experience with surf waves shows.

But when you said, "But you have to be on point every single time you pull off that throttle with the G.... or you'll take water over the stern" I was confused and ask for clarification.  You then said, "if you're not paying attention...while surfing".  Still not accurate.

Then you finally clarified your point a couple posts ago that it occurs only while fully loaded and cruising or wakeboarding, which I agree with.

I'm sorry if you feel that when someone challenges you or questions what you post that it is being a "jackhole" or "stirring the pot".  Or maybe you really dislike me and when I do it, it makes your head explode with anger.  

In a thread where someone is considering buying a G23, this is a very important point that needs clarification.  I appreciate you doing so.  I think we are in agreement now. I agree we should move on.

Good luck in your search 3sport. 

Edited by bamaboy
4 hours ago, bamaboy said:

I was clarifying what you were saying.  Your initial post on the topic stated that "every time" you chop the throttle you have to worry about taking on water.  You didn't say anything about being FULLY LOADED.  There's a big difference.

I get it though.  Simply a minor oversight on your part that required attention. 

Back on topic: Were you able to set up a demo 3sport?  I'm interested in your take on the pre 2016 G wave.

No demo yet. Probably a week or two away. I do have a little experience with pre 2016 g23s. My impression was great when loaded up, but if running a small crew need some extra weight. 

1 hour ago, 3sport said:

No demo yet. Probably a week or two away. I do have a little experience with pre 2016 g23s. My impression was great when loaded up, but if running a small crew need some extra weight. 

You should PM NYRyan.  He has a great setup and his wave is sick. 

He also added extra sacs in the rear lockers quite easily using this valve or something similar.  https://www.wakemakers.com/bosworth-y-valve.html  You simply wye off the factory ballast line.  When the stock hard tanks are done filling, flip the valve and they fill the bags in the rear lockers.  

Also, be sure to add the weight you are going to surf with when you demo so you can confirm the 450 can handle it with that drivetrain.  

Edited by bamaboy

@3sport Your original post seemed to really hammer on the hours of the boat.  Was that a deciding factor or is it coming down to pushing out the best wave?  

Just trying to get your viewpoint after all the smoke above.  From a buying perspective, I feel like you'd still get a solid wave out of the VLX and have less hours to worry about.  Again, not saying anything bad about the G, it is a great boat!

15 hours ago, saxton15 said:

@3sport Your original post seemed to really hammer on the hours of the boat.  Was that a deciding factor or is it coming down to pushing out the best wave?  

Just trying to get your viewpoint after all the smoke above.  From a buying perspective, I feel like you'd still get a solid wave out of the VLX and have less hours to worry about.  Again, not saying anything bad about the G, it is a great boat!

If it was just about wave, I'd be going with the G, no questions asked. The 740 hours is giving me pause from a resale perspective - you never know how long you're actually going to keep these things  

With the VLX, I think I'd be sacrificing a bit on wave, don't love the idea of still having to use a bow bag and I have underpower concerns with the 350 (which maybe I should be having with the 450 in the nautique as well). I've also had a new Malibu before and don't look forward to the new boat gremlins - the one reason why I'll never understand yearly flippers. Maybe it's different when your dealer isn't 1.5 hrs away. 

On 9/24/2016 at 2:13 PM, bamaboy said:

You then said, "if you're not paying attention...while surfing".  Still not accurate.

:lol: I like how you edited that to fit your needs. 

No, what I ACTUALLY said was; 

Just like the potential to take water over the bow in a VLX.. if you're not paying attention...while surfing.  That's all I was getting at. 

You DID edit out the whole" VLX part" , right?  

And you also took it out of context, right? The original context was NWBU saying "no, we only saw the potential to take water over the stern of the G while wakeboarding" and me saying "right, just like the potential to take water over the bow in a VLX while surfing"   

• Like 1
On 9/23/2016 at 11:46 PM, bamaboy said:

You won't take water over the stern surfing on a 16 or newer G23.  It doesn't happen.  It looks like it will every time and never does. I can't speak to the prior years but it seems others haven't experienced that.

Wakeboarding fully loaded, on the other hand, yes.  That is a concern.  You need to have an attentive driver.

We go by the 2 max 3 splash rule, then someone taps you on the shoulder and relieves you until you learn

54 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

We go by the 2 max 3 splash rule, then someone taps you on the shoulder and relieves you until you learn

LOL.  I love it.  

Excuse me son....we're gonna need you to NOT do that anymore.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, bamaboy said:

LOL.  I love it.  

Excuse me son....we're gonna need you to NOT do that anymore.  

It was embarrassing when his 14 yr old son tapped me out , needless to say I made my adjustment . Your g is fly by wire?  His cable steering g taught my how to drive my inboard axis, I'm much better now cause of that g you have to "drive" to handle well but it's perfect when you apply inboard physics to it, and now I much better drive our "pig " axis that isn't a pig I find