Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which Used Boat Would You Get?

3sport

Which Used Boat Would You Buy?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming they're the same price, which boat would you buy:

• Loaded 2013 G23 with ZR450 and 740 hours on the motor
    • 2015 VLX with 350, torque prop, G3.2 tower and only 25 hours. Effectively a new boat that is loaded except for the base engine and tower.

9 minutes ago, Malibuzer said:

I think I know exactly which G you are talking about.

Couple of questions.

Warranty?

Size of crew?

Regular crew will be anywhere from 2 adults and 3 kids to 4 adults and six kids.  I assume there's 1 year warranty left on the G and 3 years left on the 15.  The bigger issue is finding someone to service the VLX in the shuswap/Okanagan area. 

A G is a great wake machine.  No doubt.  I rode behind a loaded 16 G 2 weeks ago.  The wake was incredible, but was way way more than I wanted or needed.

I have a 22 VLX now and I love it.  The wake is amazing and very scalable.  With zero ballast and the PW in lift, I can tow my 8 year old and not have a monster white wash eddie behind the boat causing her to fall all the time, but I can also load up the factory ballast, wedge and pnp and the wake is PLENTY big.

I also thought the surf wave behind the G was garbage - even with NSS.  We tried and tried, but could not get it dialed.

Funny about the G surf wave Chatt and not doubting what you experienced, but very different from my experience. I personally shopped a '14 or '15 G23 to get the 2:1 tranny/17" prop, but with a smaller crew you would be fine. FYI - the 5 year Nautique transferred warranty is parts only and PCM is 3 years from purchase. Hard to advise based on hours and service consideration, but at least demo the G. Good luck in your decision!

• Like 3

Honestly, the G just does not appeal to me.  The VLX gives me all the wave I want.  And I don't need all the extra space or storage, because I have a place on the lake.  So for me, the answer is easy, I'd go for the VLX.  But if I had a bigger crew, towed the boat and spent all day on the lake with no respite, I might prefer the G due to the storage.  Of course, I've never been behind one, so it is hard for me to say.  I might be inclined to buy a higher hour VLX, and then an older DD for skiing.  I'd really love an early 90's Pro Star.

Edited by 67King

With 4 adults and 6 kids, I may be more inclined to go with bigger boat.   Personally not a fan of the G.  But 2015 malibu 3 year warranty not 5, so could be close to end of warranty as well.  With only 25 hours there are likely still some "new boat issues"  the other side is 740 hours,  is a lot if it were rode hard and put away wet.  I would want to see ECM hour data.  Was 700 of those hours at idle or 4500 RPM slammed.

I would not be too concerned with hours as long as it has been well maintained.  I have 1280 hours on my 13 23 LSV. I have had no issues but a few electrical gremlins early in. Engine is running strong. I change oil and filter every 50 hours, so averaging 7 oil changes each summer since 2013. I have the Indmar Monsoon 350 and have been pushing 4000lbs of ballast Plus average 5 people for surf and about 2000lbs for wakeboarding. Monsoon has been problem free. Good luck with whatever decision you make! Either boat will make a great family fun tool for you and the family.  In the long run, the VLX may be slightly less in cost to maintain and use, but either is a great boat and in the end it boils down to personal prefrerences and budgets. Now, being your on TheMalibuCrew site, I have to say Malibu, all the way...:lol:. All the best!

• Like 3

I just sold my 2015 22 vlx, put 198 hours on it.  It was a fantastic boat, and as Chatt mentioned super versatile in all water sport categories, it does them all very well.  I will more than likely be ordering another 2017, the boat can handle 10 people no problem and has great handling characteristics.  I had two warranty claims on the boat - bad strut in tower and a rear seat that needed a new skin from a seam seperating.  The boat was a solid performer.  Hopefully you would get the remainder of the warranty included with the sale.

I don't have any comparison to a G, I am sure they are amazing, but you won't regret a 22 vlx if you decide to go that route.  Towing and storing a G can be challenging, something to consider.

• Like 4

I think the hour difference is what makes this argument.  Both boats are solid, no doubt there.  Clearly OP has the hours on the mind. We are not talking a 500hr vs 700hr boat either.  There is a huge gap between 25 hours and 740 hours.  I can't imagine many of you would pick the G over the VLX under these circumstances! Be honest!

2 hours ago, Fman said:

I just sold my 2015 22 vlx, put 198 hours on it.  It was a fantastic boat, and as Chatt mentioned super versatile in all water sport categories, it does them all very well.  I will more than likely be ordering another 2017, the boat can handle 10 people no problem and has great handling characteristics.  I had two warranty claims on the boat - bad strut in tower and a rear seat that needed a new skin from a seam seperating.  The boat was a solid performer.  Hopefully you would get the remainder of the warranty included with the sale.

I don't have any comparison to a G, I am sure they are amazing, but you won't regret a 22 vlx if you decide to go that route.  Towing and storing a G can be challenging, something to consider.

Rear Seat that needed new skin from seam separating LOL must have been the same guy and same day he put our boats together, Oh and I would do the 15 VLX for sure, 

1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

Just curious, how much more would have to be spent to get a 2016 VLX this time of year with the 5 year warranty?

About $15k. 

2 hours ago, Fman said:

Saw your ad after someone had already put a deposit on the boat. Sounds like someone is getting a great boat for a pretty good price. If I was considering a VLX earlier I think I would've made an offer on it. 

Don't know.  We filled factory ballast, set the nss and tried all sorts of different speeds from 10-11.5.  Just could not get the wave to stay clean or consistent.  There was also this hyper annoying ribbon of wash that kicked up from the swim platform and washed out part of the face of the wave.

5 hours ago, bamaboy said:

Stay away from the G23 unless it has the 2:1 tranny.  

Surf wave on the 2016 is turn key ready from the factory Chatt.  No dialing needed.  wonder what happened

Even with the 450?  I mean it has 740 hrs on it. It must've been getting the job done - no?

6 hours ago, Chattwake said:

Don't know.  We filled factory ballast, set the nss and tried all sorts of different speeds from 10-11.5.  Just could not get the wave to stay clean or consistent.  There was also this hyper annoying ribbon of wash that kicked up from the swim platform and washed out part of the face of the wave.

6 hours ago, bamaboy said:

Stay away from the G23 unless it has the 2:1 tranny.  

Surf wave on the 2016 is turn key ready from the factory Chatt.  No dialing needed.  wonder what happened

Totally disagree that it is turn key from factory... I guess if you like big lip running down the middle of your wave (instead placed more towards the top of the wave) with little push you can consider it turnkey... extra ballast and tweeking the settings and a bad a$$ wave is made... and this was behind two different Gs... both 2016s.. one owner setting it up right... one owner using the factory philosophy,,, 

Edited by kerpluxal
14 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

Totally disagree that it is turn key from factory... I guess if you like big lip running down the middle of your wave (instead placed more towards the top of the wave) with little push you can consider it turnkey... extra ballast and tweeking the settings and a bad a$$ wave is made... and this was behind two different Gs... both 2016s.. one owner setting it up right... one owner using the factory philosophy,,, 

Totally different from my experience and several others on this forum (all Bu owners) but it's all good.  I have tried many different setups with more ballast and the improvement was minimal.  I guess it's about what makes you happy.  And me and my crew were extremely happy running the factory setup.  To each his own.

32 minutes ago, 3sport said:

Even with the 450?  I mean it has 740 hrs on it. It must've been getting the job done - no?

I wouldn't want it.  Most people that had that setup complained it was underpowered. 

Edited by bamaboy
Just now, bamaboy said:

Totally different from my experience and several others on this forum (all Bu owners) but it's all good.  I have tried many different setups with more ballast and the improvement was minimal.  

I wouldn't want it.  Most people that had that setup complained it was underpowered.  I can see why.

I will talk to the G owner with it not factory and let you know what his setup is... It was night and day difference between the 2 boats... Not dissing the G at all... I have ridden behind 4 of them... and one really stands out... 2 were factory setup only and it was not as great as I was lead to believe... If I can get some pics I will post as well... Just not a firm believer that there is out of box surf boat.. many will surf out of box... but not solid waves in my opinion.... :cheers:

7 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

I will talk to the G owner with it not factory and let you know what his setup is... It was night and day difference between the 2 boats... Not dissing the G at all... I have ridden behind 4 of them... and one really stands out... 2 were factory setup only and it was not as great as I was lead to believe... If I can get some pics I will post as well... Just not a firm believer that there is out of box surf boat.. many will surf out of box... but not solid waves in my opinion.... :cheers:

Would be interesting to see what his setup is.  I have tried many.  

RPMs are great with factory setup too.  3200 RPM at surf speeds.  what was your speed with the factory setup?

Also, there have been a TON of ballast filling issues with the new Gs.  It is possible his ballast was off.

12 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

Would be interesting to see what his setup is.  I have tried many.  

RPMs are great with factory setup too.  3200 RPM at surf speeds.  what was your speed with the factory setup?

Also, there have been a TON of ballast filling issues with the new Gs.  It is possible his ballast was off.

Hmm... 1st time was a demo and the salesperson just stated "factory"... did not give me a speed.....

2nd time at factory I was surfing my boat and my friend went by in his G... had him give me a pull... was in water not in boat to see what the settings were..

Sacked Gs.. 

1st time was a 2015 @ 11.6

2nd time was a 2016 @ 11.6 (same owner of both boats) bad a$$ wave :notworthy: