Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My New "Ride"


Recommended Posts

Previous Moomba owner that is now a proud owner of a 2011 Malibu V-Ride!  What an upgrade from my 2002 Moomba Outback LSV....Malibu is an Amazing boat!  Totally love it and the wave I'm getting already.  Let the mods begin!  

On my List:

New prop - 1941? 1235? or 2079?  I currently have the Acme 537

Front ballast tank

Rear locker bag hookup w/new pump

Engine divider reinforcement.  

I already have the stock center tank and rear two tanks.  Here are some pics of my new Ride:

Pictures Link

AADWhgJf7EgYwomzpTl6xSEHa?dl=0

 

 

Edited by MJR63
Pic link did not work
  • Like 3
Link to comment

Is that the one from the New York area with 26 hours on it?  Price was sure right on that one if it was!

Why is your prop list all 14.5" props?  You should really be considering 15".  2273, 2313 and 2315 should be on your list.

Link to comment

Congrats on the new boat. I can share my prop experience: started the year with a 537 and then upgraded to a 1941. Still didnt think the holeshot was acceptable with ballast and switched to a 1273. I like the 1273 as it gets out of the hole faster and the added cup lets me maintain top end speed for barefooting. 

Link to comment
17 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Is that the one from the New York area with 26 hours on it?  Price was sure right on that one if it was!

Why is your prop list all 14.5" props?  You should really be considering 15".  2273, 2313 and 2315 should be on your list.

Funny thing, I have a 1235 and borrowed a buddies 2315. I put both props ontop of each other and couldn't see any difference in diameter between the two. The 2315 definitely pulled better. 

Link to comment
10 hours ago, sounddude03 said:

Congrats on the new boat. I can share my prop experience: started the year with a 537 and then upgraded to a 1941. Still didnt think the holeshot was acceptable with ballast and switched to a 1273. I like the 1273 as it gets out of the hole faster and the added cup lets me maintain top end speed for barefooting. 

Yea, I was considering the 1941 because I did not want to go too far (keep rpm's within range) but want enough to help with the additional ballest surf weight.  I was considering the 1235.  It seems like the 1235 and 1273 are identical with the exception of the cub.  How are the rpms?  How much loss of top speed?

Edited by MJR63
Link to comment

 

34 minutes ago, MJR63 said:

Yea, I was considering the 1941 because I did not want to go too far (keep rpm's within range) but want enough to help with the additional ballest surf weight.  I was considering the 1235.  It seems like the 1237 and 1273 are identical.  How are the rpms?  How much loss of top speed?

As strange as it sounds, I didn't notice a loss in top end - which was a nice surprise.  With the Bimini on I can do about 41, maybe 42. With the Bimini off I can do a touch over 45. All speeds are with a driver and two passengers, no ballast. I don't recall top speed RPMs on the 537, but with the 1273 it is around 5200 WOT. 

Link to comment
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2016 at 7:03 PM, sounddude03 said:

Congrats on the new boat. I can share my prop experience: started the year with a 537 and then upgraded to a 1941. Still didnt think the holeshot was acceptable with ballast and switched to a 1273. I like the 1273 as it gets out of the hole faster and the added cup lets me maintain top end speed for barefooting. 

How much ballast do you have total?  I'm thinking of upgrading 537 to 1941 and I have stock ballast of 1,250 + power wedge (1000).  I may be adding a few more fatsacs as I'm getting into wakesurfing...

Edited by TipoFloe
Link to comment
On 9/22/2016 at 6:07 PM, TipoFloe said:

How much ballast do you have total?  I'm thinking of upgrading 537 to 1941 and I have stock ballast of 1,250 + power wedge (1000).  I may be adding a few more fatsacs as I'm getting into wakesurfing...

I have the four stock tanks (I think they are ~1250 lbs), plus wedge, plus two 550 fatsacks in the rear lockers.  I usually do not run the ballast completely full as I'm able to get a better surf wave when I slightly list the boat by filling the port side with more ballast.  When I'm fully loaded and trying to wakeboard, I can get up to speed but the boat porpoises so I typically run the wedge one or two clicks from the bottom (e.g. not full wedge).  Since the VLX has more length hopefully you will not have that problem.  

Regardless of your setup, I would recommend the 1273 over the 1941 based on my experience.  If you don't plan to barefoot you might even want to look at the Acme 1235.  

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...