Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
seth9180

***Check your bow stop post***

Recommended Posts

seth9180

Got home from a 6 hour trip from Norris lake to find the bow stop on the trailer had broke. Going to try and weld it back on and hopefully it holds! Because I don't think I'd be able to take the boat off without the bow making contact with the steel post. So check your post and make sure they're not starting to crack!

20160821_190807_zpsv6f00dub.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Ndawg12

Is your ramp really steep?  Looks like your roller has taken a beating, like alot of weight has been sitting on it.  You may have to back in shallower than normal and power off the trailer a bit, but I don't see the bow hitting that post.  I don't see how you could weld that back into the proper position with out at least moving the boat back a few inches.  

...on second thought maybe the trailer wasn't set up quite right to begin with.  If you're comfortable with how the boat is resting on the bunks now, you could shorten or adjust the legs of the roller accordingly and weld it with the boat its current position.  

Share this post


Link to post
oldjeep

I wouldn't try to weld it with the boat where it is.  Tie the transom loops to a tree or other fixed object and pull the trailer forward a bit.  Even with welding blankets protecting the boat that is going to be tough to get ground out and re-welded.

The fact that your strap is broke and tied back together also kinda says that something bad is going on with your loading or trailer setup.  Also wondering - does that bow roller turn anymore?  The wear spot on it looks weird.

Edited by oldjeep

Share this post


Link to post
JasonK

Thanks for the heads-up

Share this post


Link to post
tvano

who mfgd. the trailer?

Share this post


Link to post
oldjeep

Looks like a boatmate to me.  That piece that broke off used to be a U shaped piece of 1/8" steel (not 2 flat pieces of stock)  that was welded to the end of the bow stop tube. Broke at the lines that it was welded onto the square tube.

Share this post


Link to post
seth9180

Everyone's replies make a lot of sense. I'll start with the first reply-- Yes the ramp I normally use is quite steep. It seems when I don't have the nose somewhat tight to the roller it slides off the roller by a couple inches while pulling it up.the ramp. Then makes for a bouncy ride with the boat bouncing up and down. I have noticed before that the front of the boat is not quite resting on the front ends of the bunks. I'm going to try and post a picture kind of showing that. If it's not clear I'll take another picture focusing on it. 2nd reply---I'll try and pull the boat back some if it will not fit where it's at now. As for the strap breaking--I had a really large person in the bow of the boat when I was cranking it on the trailer and it snapped. Not sure if that was the cause but that's what I figured when it happened. The roller doesn't turn freely. You have to really grip it to get it to spin. The weird ware spot is probably from me cranking it so.tight so it doesn't slide off from pulling get it up the ramp. But not sure. 3rd reply-- You're welcome. But again might be my screw up that caused it. 4th reply-- Yes boatmate. 5th reply---I was looking at Google pics of similar boat trailers and none really looked just like mine. Which makes sense of what you're saying. Makes me think when they welded it back together half a** they didn't do it in the proper spot making some of the bow sit off the bunks by an inch or so. I'll take more pictures later and upload them. Thanks for all the replies!!! Does the attached picture seem to be too tight??

Screenshot_20160824-154145_zpsz5rqrhnt.p

Share this post


Link to post
Michigan boarder

A few things to add:

-Replace the bow roller with one that spins well

-Replace the winch.  1 extra occupant in the bow should not have been the cause of that break.

-Add a safety chain that goes to the empty loop under your winch to the bow eye. 

Love the yellow & orange, cool color combo!

Share this post


Link to post
Dodger40

Anyone recommend a good roller? Sounds like he needs one and I'm curious what you'd recommend.

Share this post


Link to post
Michigan boarder

Edit: looking at the wear on the piece that broke off, you strap was rubbing against the metal, some of the orange paint is missing.  The winch was not running straight, causing the strap to scrape the metal, and eventually wore thru.  Which is a perfect example of why should should have a safety chain to the bow.

Share this post


Link to post
oldjeep

Just replace the strap, no need to get a whole winch.

Bow roller you need to figure out why it wasn't spinning - bolt too tight, needed some lube, ??

Just now, Dodger40 said:

Anyone recommend a good roller? Sounds like he needs one and I'm curious what you'd recommend.

Standard 3 piece poly one like he has is fine.  Just don't get the black ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Marine-3-Piece-Roller-3-Inch/dp/B004LR5J8Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472070160&sr=8-1&keywords=3+piece+bow+roller

Share this post


Link to post
Dodger40

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
seth9180
18 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

Edit: looking at the wear on the piece that broke off, you strap was rubbing against the metal, some of the orange paint is missing.  The winch was not running straight, causing the strap to scrape the metal, and eventually wore thru.  Which is a perfect example of why should should have a safety chain to the bow.

The wear is from the metal rubbing against the post when it broke. I'm guessing it broke shortly into my 6 hour drive home from Norris lake. Somehow the broken piece straddled the post and stayed there the whole time. Which I think is where the rubbing came from. The strap has always been in the center of those pieces of metal. And yes a new roller is definitely a must. Maybe it was too tight. The safety chain is a good idea. Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Michigan boarder
4 minutes ago, seth9180 said:

The wear is from the metal rubbing against the post when it broke. I'm guessing it broke shortly into my 6 hour drive home from Norris lake. Somehow the broken piece straddled the post and stayed there the whole time. Which I think is where the rubbing came from. The strap has always been in the center of those pieces of metal. And yes a new roller is definitely a must. Maybe it was too tight. The safety chain is a good idea. Thanks!!

Oops, sorry.  Makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
JasonK

My boat never rests against the front bow stop, but the prev. owner moved the front post further forward because of the steep ramp he used. The bow kept getting stuck under the bow stop. If I load it all the way forward, my tongue weight is too heavy.

How many of the crew have their bow tight against the front roller or bow stop? Seems like there will always be a little wiggle room.

Do you guys think the front roller is supposed to hold some bow weight? I don't. It may touch the front roller bnut all the weight is on the bunks. I wouldn't worry about the hull being slightly off the front of bunks, unless it was being pulled up by the bow roller.

What say you crew?

My winch strap is tight, bow chained, and rear tie down straps tight.

Share this post


Link to post
oldjeep
Just now, JasonK said:

My boat never rests against the front bow stop, but the prev. owner moved the front post further forward because of the steep ramp he used. The bow kept getting stuck under the bow stop. If I load it all the way forward, my tongue weight is too heavy.

How many of the crew have their bow tight against the front roller or bow stop? Seems like there will always be a little wiggle room.

Do you guys think the front roller is supposed to hold some bow weight? I don't. It may touch the front roller bnut all the weight is on the bunks. I wouldn't worry about the hull being slightly off the front of bunks, unless it was being pulled up by the bow roller.

What say you crew?

My winch strap is tight, bow chained, and rear tie down straps tight.

Mine is always tight against the bow roller and if it isn't then I give it a quick brake check and make it tight.

Edited by oldjeep

Share this post


Link to post
ahopkinsVTX

Always make sure mine is tight to the bow roller. Even with rear tie downs on a long trip the boat will most likely shift forward and start bouncing because the bow strap is now loose, which is not good.

Share this post


Link to post
seth9180
On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 3:55 PM, oldjeep said:

Looks like a boatmate to me.  That piece that broke off used to be a U shaped piece of 1/8" steel (not 2 flat pieces of stock)  that was welded to the end of the bow stop tube. Broke at the lines that it was welded onto the square tube.

Here is a close up picture of the bow stop tube. I think I can see where you are talking about U shaped. I think it is but it just broke above the welds. 

20160824_185540_zpscjhesrv8.jpg

Thinking about it, the reason my bow is a little off the front bunks is probably because it's over tightened. Because with the roller off, aka broke, the boat sits flush with all bunks. I like the idea of a little break check to get the boat to slide forward a couple inches if it slides off the roller. I've ordered a new roller and winch. I Gotta finaggle with the lock/unlock lever all the time so I  might as well get a new one. I'm going to my buddies shop tomorrow. He said he can weld it back on so we'll see. I'll post final product pics tomorro . Hopefully all goes well! 

Share this post


Link to post
twitchee2

I keep mine tight against the roller. My trailer is not very stiff and the trailer will bend and bounce/hit the bot roller to the boat if I do not pull it tight up to the roller.  Looks like yours failed right at the heat effected zone of the weld.

Share this post


Link to post
PeteOOXXOO
On 25 August 2016 at 2:11 AM, JasonK said:

My boat never rests against the front bow stop, but the prev. owner moved the front post further forward because of the steep ramp he used. The bow kept getting stuck under the bow stop. If I load it all the way forward, my tongue weight is too heavy.

How many of the crew have their bow tight against the front roller or bow stop? Seems like there will always be a little wiggle room.

Do you guys think the front roller is supposed to hold some bow weight? I don't. It may touch the front roller bnut all the weight is on the bunks. I wouldn't worry about the hull being slightly off the front of bunks, unless it was being pulled up by the bow roller.

What say you crew?

My winch strap is tight, bow chained, and rear tie down straps tight.

Jason, I would strongly suggest you get the post s***ted back so that the bow is resting on the bow roller.  With your current setup you are probably save from the boat moving backwards, however it sounds like there is nothing stopping your boat from moving forward other than the rear tie downs (and bunk friction) - and as they are vertical they will allow some forward movement, which in an emergency breaking scenario could be enough to snap at least one which would see the boat do all sorts of nasty!  Even if they don't snap, unless they are exactly as tight as each other the boat could shift off line.  Just my 2cents.

Share this post


Link to post
oldjeep
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:18 PM, seth9180 said:

Here is a close up picture of the bow stop tube. I think I can see where you are talking about U shaped. I think it is but it just broke above the welds. 

20160824_185540_zpscjhesrv8.jpg

Thinking about it, the reason my bow is a little off the front bunks is probably because it's over tightened. Because with the roller off, aka broke, the boat sits flush with all bunks. I like the idea of a little break check to get the boat to slide forward a couple inches if it slides off the roller. I've ordered a new roller and winch. I Gotta finaggle with the lock/unlock lever all the time so I  might as well get a new one. I'm going to my buddies shop tomorrow. He said he can weld it back on so we'll see. I'll post final product pics tomorro . Hopefully all goes well! 

If it were me doing it, I'd add a fish plate on each side that bridges the two pieces across the repair.  Welding it on both sides of where it cracked will make it fairly likely to break in the same area again unless there is some additional reinforcement.

Share this post


Link to post
Sparky450

I have always thought that the boat should be flat on the bunks.

and the boat should meet the bow roller just as the eye meets the roller

With this happening the boat is flat on the bunks, the boat can not move forward because the eye is against the stop AND the strap will be under the roller and hold the boat tight, so no bouncing.

Just last weekend I went over a trench plate on our lovely CA roads and broke the winch strap 

Thankfully, mine has as safety cable.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...