Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Claire1000

Options are Confusing Me to All Get Out

Recommended Posts

Claire1000

We are seriously considering a 16 A22 or T22. The dealer I went to has them loaded about all the same, but I want to make sure there isn't an option that I am misunderstanding. 

  • CS Bimini- Is this the "surf bimini with storage" in the brochure?
  • CS Boat Cover? I didn't love the ones they had on them. I LOVED my evolution. Anyone having issues with the stock cover?
  • Shrinkable shipping cover- I'm assuming this is something I'm stuck with? $249?
  • Stereo Pack 2- I think this should be enough for me, but is there anything on there that folks aren't liking? I see putting the sub in a box is a worthy upgrade. 
  • The bimini is a big deal to us. The brochure says there is a Z5 Cargo Rack. Is that the Z5 bimini with it's cargo rack, or is there a cargo rack that attaches to a Z5 and you have to buy that seperately?
  • Are swivel board racks nice? I had no issues with our fixed. I don't understand the benefit. Just easier mounting? What is hard about putting a board on a rack? Must be something I'm missing. 

Boat books out to 77. Dealer asking 67 withough haggling. 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
bamaboy

Does it have surf pipe?

I wouldn't buy a boat without it if it was a factory option and I planned on surfing.  Not only does it totally remove steam/exhaust from the equation, it quiets the boat down considerable.  Lots of guys on the site consider it the best stereo upgrade out there

Share this post


Link to post
wedge88

No issues with my stock cover.  I thought I would replace it with an evolution right after purchase but we really don't cover that often and it works well.  I have trailered with it and it did leave a few marks that buffed out later.

I wouldn't get fixed racks again after having the swivels.  It is so much easier to get boards on and off the rack when swiveled into the boat without standing on the seats and the slips we use require us to swing them in, rather than having to remove the boards each time we dock.

I have SP2 and chose that option as the SP3 speakers adding 50-60lbs to the tower and we have to drop the tower to get in the garage.  I can drop and raise on my own but doubt I could with the SP3 package.

The Z5 Cargo Rack is complete (I believe) and very nice if you plan to always leave the bimini open.  My understanding is it can withstand high speeds but if you trailer a lot or have to drop the tower ever, I don't think it would work but others will chime in on this.

Shipping cover is a must as this is what the boat ships from the factory with.  

Share this post


Link to post
Raimie
8 minutes ago, Claire1000 said:

We are seriously considering a 16 A22 or T22. The dealer I went to has them loaded about all the same, but I want to make sure there isn't an option that I am misunderstanding. 

  • CS Bimini- Is this the "surf bimini with storage" in the brochure?
  • CS Boat Cover? I didn't love the ones they had on them. I LOVED my evolution. Anyone having issues with the stock cover?
  • Shrinkable shipping cover- I'm assuming this is something I'm stuck with? $249?
  • Stereo Pack 2- I think this should be enough for me, but is there anything on there that folks aren't liking? I see putting the sub in a box is a worthy upgrade. 
  • The bimini is a big deal to us. The brochure says there is a Z5 Cargo Rack. Is that the Z5 bimini with it's cargo rack, or is there a cargo rack that attaches to a Z5 and you have to buy that seperately?
  • Are swivel board racks nice? I had no issues with our fixed. I don't understand the benefit. Just easier mounting? What is hard about putting a board on a rack? Must be something I'm missing. 

Boat books out to 77. Dealer asking 67 withough haggling. 

Thanks!

A tip on the shrinkable shipping cover (not really an option, you are stuck with that) - Ask you dealer in advance to save that cover for you. Typically they toss them! Its really nice and can be used to trailer or even for winter storage. My dealer tossed mine and I ended up buying one on ebay. I have used it a couple times to tow with and its been very good to have around.

I love the swivel racks. I pull on a hoist and have to turn them in. Its also nice to for loading and unloading boards. Not necessary if you aren't on a hoist, but really nice. Plus they are 'Axis' racks, not Titan.

I have the GL mooring cover. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. If I could do it again, I would have ordered an evolution cover. No experience with the CS cover.

Share this post


Link to post
shawndoggy

Does the CS bimini have surfboard storage?  I was advised by my dealer to get the Great Lakes (GL) bimini instead because of this.  I don't think I'd ever run the z5 because I tow a lot and it's very difficult to remove to stow.  If you are on a lake and frequently carry a lot of stuff, I could see the utility (though still..... the PRICE!).

I have the GL cover and I really like it.  This comes from someone who has owned two evolution covers.  It's very thick sunbrella type material and easy to get tight.  The hangtite really helps in that regard.

SP2 is fine for most.  As you've noted, the sub is the weak point.  You CAN rebox the sub, but it's a "free air" sub that they install in the 16s which really isn't designed for a box in the first place.  If you are gonna build a box, it's easier to just replace the sub at the same time.  Also as @wedge88 notes the tower will be quite heavy to fold if you go to SP3.  Holy cow, it's heavy enough with SP2!  If you never fold, though, and want one of the loudest factory systems currently on the market, SP3 is actually a pretty decent value.  Weak spot is still the sub, but it comes with a 12 that's designed for a box, so it's really as easy as putting it in a "real" box and having the amps tuned to get a VERY rockin' factory system.

If you will fold the tower often, I'd get the tower clips.

Swivel board racks -- once you have 'em....

Agree with @bamaboy re surfpipe.  Would not order a boat without it.  It'd be the one option I'd absolutely insist on.

Other "nice to haves": second tracking fin, zero off gps speed control (but only if you boat on lakes... paddlewheel still better for rivers), wake view seating (flip up seat on passenger side), transom flush (place to hook up your hose).

Pretty much everything else can be added later (heater being the big thing).

Share this post


Link to post
ahopkinsVTX

Most was covered above, but one note on the sub I noticed. I think it would sound good for most if the amps were tuned in and a new kick plate was made so it doesn't rattle. That was the biggest complaint about the sub in the A22 I was in. I didn't tune the amps though, but I am confident they could have been tuned better and then it would have been a pretty dang nice sounding system.

Share this post


Link to post
Claire1000
33 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Does the CS bimini have surfboard storage?  I was advised by my dealer to get the Great Lakes (GL) bimini instead because of this.  I don't think I'd ever run the z5 because I tow a lot and it's very difficult to remove to stow.  If you are on a lake and frequently carry a lot of stuff, I could see the utility (though still..... the PRICE!).

I have the GL cover and I really like it.  This comes from someone who has owned two evolution covers.  It's very thick sunbrella type material and easy to get tight.  The hangtite really helps in that regard.

SP2 is fine for most.  As you've noted, the sub is the weak point.  You CAN rebox the sub, but it's a "free air" sub that they install in the 16s which really isn't designed for a box in the first place.  If you are gonna build a box, it's easier to just replace the sub at the same time.  Also as @wedge88 notes the tower will be quite heavy to fold if you go to SP3.  Holy cow, it's heavy enough with SP2!  If you never fold, though, and want one of the loudest factory systems currently on the market, SP3 is actually a pretty decent value.  Weak spot is still the sub, but it comes with a 12 that's designed for a box, so it's really as easy as putting it in a "real" box and having the amps tuned to get a VERY rockin' factory system.

If you will fold the tower often, I'd get the tower clips.

Swivel board racks -- once you have 'em....

Agree with @bamaboy re surfpipe.  Would not order a boat without it.  It'd be the one option I'd absolutely insist on.

Other "nice to haves": second tracking fin, zero off gps speed control (but only if you boat on lakes... paddlewheel still better for rivers), wake view seating (flip up seat on passenger side), transom flush (place to hook up your hose).

Pretty much everything else can be added later (heater being the big thing).

 

35 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Does the CS bimini have surfboard storage?  I was advised by my dealer to get the Great Lakes (GL) bimini instead because of this.  I don't think I'd ever run the z5 because I tow a lot and it's very difficult to remove to stow.  If you are on a lake and frequently carry a lot of stuff, I could see the utility (though still..... the PRICE!).

I have the GL cover and I really like it.  This comes from someone who has owned two evolution covers.  It's very thick sunbrella type material and easy to get tight.  The hangtite really helps in that regard.

SP2 is fine for most.  As you've noted, the sub is the weak point.  You CAN rebox the sub, but it's a "free air" sub that they install in the 16s which really isn't designed for a box in the first place.  If you are gonna build a box, it's easier to just replace the sub at the same time.  Also as @wedge88 notes the tower will be quite heavy to fold if you go to SP3.  Holy cow, it's heavy enough with SP2!  If you never fold, though, and want one of the loudest factory systems currently on the market, SP3 is actually a pretty decent value.  Weak spot is still the sub, but it comes with a 12 that's designed for a box, so it's really as easy as putting it in a "real" box and having the amps tuned to get a VERY rockin' factory system.

If you will fold the tower often, I'd get the tower clips.

Swivel board racks -- once you have 'em....

Agree with @bamaboy re surfpipe.  Would not order a boat without it.  It'd be the one option I'd absolutely insist on.

Other "nice to haves": second tracking fin, zero off gps speed control (but only if you boat on lakes... paddlewheel still better for rivers), wake view seating (flip up seat on passenger side), transom flush (place to hook up your hose).

Pretty much everything else can be added later (heater being the big thing).

***This may win the award for the best reply to anything I've ever asked on a forum. 

The CS does have surfboard storage. Looked fine to me, but I have never surfed. Plan to demo it and see. 

We don't put the tower up and down (thank goodness, I'm small), so I'm only wanting to make sure the sound is solid. I'm no audiophile, just want it to be solid. Had 2 old school pro 80's on the last boat and they were more than enough, so I'm assuming the 4 Icon 8s will be equal or better?

My interest in the Z5 or something else is just more shade for kids. We tow 15 minutes to the river and it's 45 mph the whole way. So in theory I could leave it up. 

Dealer said they could add a surf pipe after for way less cost. I'll see if I can negotiate that. 

Are swivel clips for lifts and garages? Can we don't mess with either. We load the boards off and on while on the trailer, so I'm thinking this is $1200 that I don't need to spend. If I can get them to take them off. 

Heater? I live in Texas. We can play March-Nov with no heater. =-)

Share this post


Link to post
shawndoggy

Claire, the two pair of icon 8 tower speakers that come with SP2 sound real good.  They are a different design than the Pro 80s (icons are direct radiating "traditional" speakers; pro 80s are horn loaded compression drivers -- HLCDs).  The Pro 80s, well powered, are probably going to have a bit more range at maximum volume than the two pair of icons.  So if the key issue is hearing the speakers with a wakeboard or ski handle in hand, the pro80s probably have the advantage.  The icons, on the other hand, are going to sound a whole lot better in the boat and near field than the relatively harsh pro 80s.  Definitely a better surf speaker than the pro80s.

If you aren't happy with the two pair of icons, you could always replace them with a single pair of Rev10s (the MUCH better sounding successor to the Pro 80s).

I don't know whether the z5 is actually physically bigger than the regular bimini.  I'd defer to your dealer on that.  If you never have to fold and have a short tow, though, Z5 could be a good choice.

Swivels are so you can easily load and unload boards while in the boat rather than leaning out to load.  May sound frivolous, but I don't know anyone who's had them who'd want to go back.

Share this post


Link to post
oldjeep

Swivel racks - can't dock at some docks without them.  The local restaurant docks have tall pilings that would be good at removing your board and rack from the boat if you can't swivel them in. 

Share this post


Link to post
CedarLakeSkier
3 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Swivel racks - can't dock at some docks without them.  The local restaurant docks have tall pilings that would be good at removing your board and rack from the boat if you can't swivel them in. 

Also, on my boat with fixed racks, I can fit into our shorestation lift with the racks empty, but if anything is in the racks I won't so I have to pull everything in.   With swivels it would be nice to just "swing" things to the inside and pull in...

Share this post


Link to post
Claire1000

Well, good for you fancy people that live places with docks and gas statoions and stuff. Ha. But I see this is a big deal to everyone, so probably good there for resale value. 

On the Pro 80s, they blew out the ears of everyone in the back, so we couldn't turn them up high enough. Will start with the middle range and I bet I'll be happy. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Anderson24
2 hours ago, Claire1000 said:

We are seriously considering a 16 A22 or T22. The dealer I went to has them loaded about all the same, but I want to make sure there isn't an option that I am misunderstanding. 

  • CS Bimini- Is this the "surf bimini with storage" in the brochure?
  • CS Boat Cover? I didn't love the ones they had on them. I LOVED my evolution. Anyone having issues with the stock cover?
  • Shrinkable shipping cover- I'm assuming this is something I'm stuck with? $249?
  • Stereo Pack 2- I think this should be enough for me, but is there anything on there that folks aren't liking? I see putting the sub in a box is a worthy upgrade. 
  • The bimini is a big deal to us. The brochure says there is a Z5 Cargo Rack. Is that the Z5 bimini with it's cargo rack, or is there a cargo rack that attaches to a Z5 and you have to buy that seperately?
  • Are swivel board racks nice? I had no issues with our fixed. I don't understand the benefit. Just easier mounting? What is hard about putting a board on a rack? Must be something I'm missing. 

Boat books out to 77. Dealer asking 67 withough haggling. 

Thanks!

I have a '15 T22.

Best decision was getting SP3. If you don't ever need to fold down the tower...get the 410's. They are just freaking awesome. And like @shawndoggy said, it actually has pretty good value for a factory system.

Biggest regret was not ordering the z5 bimini. 6 months later I caved in and bought it after the fact. So happy I did that. To answer your question, the z5 provides WAY more shade. Not only does it have a dramatically larger surface area than the stock bimini, but it is below the speakers instead of above.  By lowering the bimini you get a larger area of shade within the boat. I remember sometimes sitting in the boat with the factory bimini, the "shade" would be outside the seating area. That does not bode well for a skin-cancer survivor like me! Also, the z5 shade reaches much further back into the cabin area than the stock bimini.

As far as the head clearance is concerned...I am 6'7", so I hit my head on everything. I would rather know I have to duck all the time, then have something just out of my field of vision occasionally. I racked my head on the old bimini a couple times.

As far as towing...rock solid. I tow 35 miles each way up to 65 mph and the thing is rock solid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Red17A24

How much was the z5?

Share this post


Link to post
Anderson24
9 minutes ago, Red17A24 said:

How much was the z5?

I want to say roughly $2800 when ordered from factory on the build. And roughly $4300 from z5 when ordered after the build. This could have changed though.

Share this post


Link to post
minnmarker
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Swivel racks - can't dock at some docks without them.  The local restaurant docks have tall pilings that would be good at removing your board and rack from the boat if you can't swivel them in. 

Swivel for sure.  If you can't imagine needing them now you will just after you start using the boat.  Docks, lift/canopy, garage, bridges (yes, we pull the racks in to get under County I to go to the Thirsty Otter).  Quick release are not so quick - or easy - and dropping one overboard...

Share this post


Link to post
oldjeep
1 minute ago, minnmarker said:

Swivel for sure.  If you can't imagine needing them now you will just after you start using the boat.  Docks, lift/canopy, garage, bridges (yes, we pull the racks in to get under County I to go to the Thirsty Otter).  Quick release are not so quick - or easy - and dropping one overboard...

Yeah, my ski rack is not a swivel and I've occasionally had to yank it off for some docks.  Always a little worried about dropping it in the lake or down the side of the boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Simo

I went back and forth about the Z5, ultimately, deciding to go with the factory bimini with the surf straps. I am glad I did. It is very easy to put up , provides plenty of shade and is super tight. Plus I saved $3K. 

Share this post


Link to post
Claire1000

More great feedback. Awesome. 

Now I'm stuck figuring out if I really want to spend that much on a brand new boat. I really am an advocate of buying used things, but we don't have a dealer any where near us, and all the fancy stuff on the Malibu's scares me. And I can't find a used 14+ Axis that isn't the cost of the new 16s that are left. So that leaves a 16 not exactly equipped how I want it but pretty dang close, or keep hunting for a used one. But I'm boatless and lost, so I don't want to wait 2 months and miss the rest of this season and our "sailgating" stuff we do at our college games. 

First. World. Problems. 

Do you guys leave your tower speakers up when towing? We took the Pro 80s down, they had a design flaw and cracked, but I think the Wetsounds guys said you don't have to do that with the new ones? 

Share this post


Link to post
Simo

Unless you have quick connects, you aren't going to be taking the speakers off. And totally unnecessary. 

Also, keep in mind that 2015's and older do not have the 5 year warranty that is currently offered 

   

Share this post


Link to post
hethj7

Leave speakers up to tow and buy speaker sox for them.  That is what most do. I use them on the racks too. Folding racks are super nice too if you tie up to other boats so the racks aren't hitting each other.  BTW, you can get a discount on the speaker sox through TMC.  

Share this post


Link to post
shawndoggy

What? @teamerickson are you selling your boat? 

Share this post


Link to post
teamerickson
Just now, shawndoggy said:

What? @teamerickson are you selling your boat? 

Yeah. There's not enough activity in the Axis forum so I'm jumping ship! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
BadgerBoater55
2 hours ago, teamerickson said:

Yeah. There's not enough activity in the Axis forum so I'm jumping ship! ;)

Next Malibu Press Release....

"New for all 2017 Malibu models"

- More than four topics on TMC forum

- Increased banter on surf setups

- Your friends will help you spend more money! *

:werule:

*this is really good for us, we literally have to do nothing and more money in our pockets!

Edited by BadgerBoater55

Share this post


Link to post
Claire1000

Whoever will meet me half way I'll buy your boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
teamerickson
2 minutes ago, Claire1000 said:

Whoever will meet me half way I'll buy your boat. 

What's half way from Sacramento? :)

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...