Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Jimmymac

1999 malibu response no power to dash or anywhere else

Jimmymac

I've been restoring my 1999 malibu response  and it's been out of commission for about 2 years.. im just now finishing up with the interior.. I put a battery in it today to check to see if the blower was working and turn the key on and no power to the dash and will not do nothing.. I checked battery connections and ground bar also the back of the breakers..I checked connections on the key switch and the safety switch they seemed fine but couldn't find any power with a volt meter..  I jumped the starter off with a screw driver so I no its getting power at the starter.. Does anyone no what it might be or what I could check or a starting point to trouble shoot??

minnmarker

Take a volt meter and a long lead connected to the positive battery terminal then start at the battery and test every ground as you move away from the battery.  If all good then take the long lead off and start back at the battery and check all the positive connections as you move away from the battery.  You'll find the problem. Probably a badly corroded ground connection.

85 Barefoot

have you used a multimeter to check ignition switch?

Jimmymac

I used a multimeter and checked all connections at the back of switch, buss bar and relays.. I read that it may be a bad safety cut off switch.. It's a safety feature the malibu has that cuts all power to the instruments and dash when the safety lanyard is undone or not working..

I had no readings anywhere but the battery and the starter lol

formulaben

Do you have a master battery switch installed?

Jimmymac

No I dont.. I believe everything is still stock like the boat came.Do yall think it could be the ignition switch or the safety cut off switch 

Motorcity50

My nephew has a 1998 sport and he lost power this spring and it was a faulty safety cut-off switch.

Jimmymac

Thanks motorcity50 I'm gonna go buy one and see if is a fix.. A universal one from west marine should work right 

Edited by Jimmymac

Jimmymac

Just letting yall know I found the problem.. im guessing it's called the main battery switch 50 amp breaker back by the ecu.. I used a power probe and checked all connections and grounds.. From the battery to the ignition to the safety switch all breakers and to the main battery switch breaker with the key on jumped the two wires together and whalla had full power.. Thanks for all the input guys

ClaireBLC

Hi - did you find out where the safety cut-off switch is located on the Malibu Response 1999?