Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
jimriley72

Raw water flow low alarm

jimriley72

I'm looking for some help clearing this alarm and resolving this issue.  I have a 2016 wakesetter 23 LSV with the 6.2L Raptor engine.  I'm getting an alarm for Raw Water Flow Low...code SPN:110 FMI:1.

Engine Temp has not gotten over 164 degrees and Engine Coolant Temp has stayed under 164 as well while running even after alarm.  You can see the water flowing through the system while running and there is no sign of an overheat.

Here is what I have done so far to trouble shoot yet the alarm is still triggering every 5 minutes while running.  

• Inspected the intake under the hull for debris...All Clear
  • Removed the strainer and screen in the intake line and cleared out some minor debris.  Screen is intact with no sign of damage to it.
  • Checked the impeller and it looks fine. It is cool to touch while engine is running so water is clearly flowing through it.
  • Removed the intake hose from the water pump and it seems clear
  • Removed the inline water flow sensor on the intake line...the paddle wheel was clear of any debris.
  • Disconnected the water flow sensor while running and alarm still triggered
  • Hooked the boat up to the hose and ran it in the driveway and water was flowing through the manifolds and out of the exhaust. Hard to gauge flow since it was just a hose but system was working.

Is there anything that I have overlooked mechanically?  Otherwise, should I assume it is a faulty sensor or an issue with the computer?  Is there another sensor that I am not seeing? Any suggests on a resolution short of taking it to the dealer which is 2 hours away from me?  Last resort will be to take in...

Thanks for your input.

Engine Nut

Sounds like you have checked everything pretty carefully. Sounds like it may be a sensor issue. If there was a real cooling issue the code would be different and you would see high temp on the dashboard gauge. other than the alarm, the flow sensor should not limit the engine rpm or prevent the engine from operating.

jimriley72

Thanks, Larry.  Would you think it is ok to continue to operate the boat until I can get a new sensor and just clear the alarm each time? 

MalibuGreg

Did you ever get this problem solved?  I would be interested to know how you solved it. 

I am having this this same issue, and Malibu told me this about the problem:

There is a waterflow sensor near the water pump on the suction side, located on the stbd side of the engine and kind of under the oil filter/cooler.  If you are getting this code, then a couple things to check are to make sure all the hose clamps are tight in the intake circuit and the strainer cap is tight and not leaking air into the system.  The last thing to check is the flow sensor, it is possible that the sensor (which is a paddlewheel) has some trash in it or is failing.

Greg Garner 

2016 VTX 20

jimriley72

Greg-

I ended up having to take it back to the dealer and they just replaced the sensor under warranty.  One last thing I would do in addition to the above is to hook an Ohm Meter up to the sensor and see if you are getting resistance etc.  He did say it is pretty sensitive and flow below 16 gallons per hour or so will trigger the sensor.  Given the sensitivity any air leaks or leave blockage in the strainer could trigger it.  Also if you remove the sensor be careful when you replace, the paddlewheel needs to be facing in the right direction.  

Jim