Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'15 VLX 350 or '16 VLX 410

Portmoody911

I have a 15vlx w 350 monsoon, 6 adults factory ballast plus 2x550 in back 10.6 - 10.8 is no problem. 1500ft elevation 2773 prop. I ran a 2315 last year was overkill I prefer the 15x13 over 15x12. Unless you really slam a 15 w the 350 you can definately prop it aok. 

Heard back from the dealer, the options are buy a 2016 VLX with 410 motor and 5 years warranty versus a 2015 VLX with 350 Motor, 3 year warranty.  Both are specced the same except the '16 has some more metal flake.  the difference......$14k

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Portmoody911 said:

Heard back from the dealer, the options are buy a 2016 VLX with 410 motor and 5 years warranty versus a 2015 VLX with 350 Motor, 3 year warranty.  Both are specced the same except the '16 has some more metal flake.  the difference......$14k

Thoughts?

Where are you located...?  That has a bigger role than you think on a 2015.

Add up the list. A model year has to be worth 3-4000 down the road for resale. 1-2000 for metal flake. 4-5000 for the 410. Warranty might be worth a 1000.  Its a tough call but my nod goes to the 2016.

I did a lot of research on the actual power of the various engine options. The best source to compare the outputs of the various engines is to look up the carb tests. The 350 in those tests was at 297HP. The new 410 was at about 350 so it's is a significant difference. I am not sure the trans ratio change is that big a factor since you simply run a different prop. It could potentially have been a big help had Malibu allowed for a bigger diameter prop to take advantage of the slower prop speed however max prop size is unchanged from 15 to 16 models.

11 hours ago, Portmoody911 said:

Thoughts?

Depending on your time frame, you could wait on the boat until fall/winter when they have more '17s in and I'm sure you could get that price down a lot more

fwiw, rumor has it Malibu is raising the vlx price 5% for 2017 models.   I would jump on either of those boats, chances are they won't be sitting around for long.  You would be rolling the dice waiting on a '17 model for a good deal.  The new 22vlx is selling very well, my local dealer only has one left in stock.  I'm not sure how much dealers are discounting on the vlx line, they seem to be having no issues rolling them off the lot.