Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hours, year, and engine in your 'Bu

ChainSetter

~200 hours on my 03 Sunscape 21LSV with the 330 Monsoon. I bought it in '13 with 72 hours on it. I've been fighting some fuel delivery issues that i think are the result of massive lack of use. Get out there and use your boats people! 

ahopkins22LSV

A friend was recently shopping for a used boat. Was looking at a Nautique from the local dealer and the sales man told him, "Don't worry about the 800 hours on it, Nautique engines will run for 5000." :lol: I am not making that up either. Friend called me right after and asked what I thought about it. I explained basically what has been said in this thread, it is about maintenance and if it has been done or not. Also explained that all manufactures use basically the same engine in the years he was looking, just the marinizer is different.

Oh, and I have 545 hours on my 2013.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
Just now, ahopkinsTXi said:

A friend was recently shopping for a used boat. Was looking at a Nautique from the local dealer and the sales man told him, "Don't worry about the 800 hours on it, Nautique engines will run for 5000." :lol: I am not making that up either. Friend called me right after and asked what I thought about it. I explained basically what has been said in this thread, it is about maintenance and if it has been done or not. Also explained that all manufactures use basically the same engine in the years he was looking, just the marinizer is different.

Oh, and I have 545 hours on my 2013.

Wow... 545 hrs in 3 years.... That's good going. We did 48 hrs in 3 years In our last boat.

I have 570 hours in my 12' a22 with LS3. I run it with 5,000k of ballast, for hours around the lake empty, and idling around a lot. I haven't had any oil consumption on my 50 hour oil changes. Although the only thing I had go out, was my damper plate. Replaced under warranty. 

'01 VLX, LS1 motor, 562 hours.  Oil + filter changes, plugs, wires, coolant, alternator + bracket, impeller.  Needs new oil pressure sending unit as has the common bouncing oil pressure issue @ idle.  Half the hours on the boat are me, other half are the original owner.  

250 hours on a 2005 Monsoon 340.  During it's first 10 years it had 150 total hours.  I bought it 12 months ago.  We've put 100 hours on it since!

As far as I know nothing but normal maintenance.  Changing oil every 35 hours as we're about 70% surfing.

I've never heard of one getting to 5000 before a rebuild.  

I think 1500-2000 is normal for a well maintained engine.  2000+ seems pretty rare.  If you don't change the oil or worse yet run it low on oil you could need a rebuild at 1000 or fewer.  

I have a 2004 Monsoon 340 w/ 700 hours.  I've already put 50 on this season and I'll change the oil before we go out again. 

4 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

I've never heard of one getting to 5000 before a rebuild.  

I think 1500-2000 is normal for a well maintained engine.  2000+ seems pretty rare.  If you don't change the oil or worse yet run it low on oil you could need a rebuild at 1000 or fewer.  

I have a 2004 Monsoon 340 w/ 700 hours.  I've already put 50 on this season and I'll change the oil before we go out again. 

I'm hoping your estimates are low. I had a new tach installed by prior owner and know my hours don't read correctly (they are low). I bought the boat with 830 on the tach, and 950 according to the computer (dealer pulled it for me). My tach now reads only like 1150 which I know I've put more than the difference in the tach on the boat. I'd assume I'm sitting around 1500-1600 on it, 2003 VLX. With this boat, I've only not started once and that was the boneheaded kill switch lanyard was loose. I actually just replaced the two batteries for the first time since I've owned it (4 years ago) and the batteries had '06 labels. I do get a funky volt warning no matter what (even with new batteries sometimes says "Voltage 6.5" or something, but fires not problem every time), I've replaced a few ballast pumps here and there, but I've had to do more to the trailer than the boat (see my DIY about replacing axles). Great boat, has probably taught ~75-100 people wakeboarding behind it while i've owned it.

My dad has about 800 on his '96 Response

Edited by saskicker32
added info
41 minutes ago, ibelonginprison said:

2006 23LSV

340 Monsoon

635 hours

Regular maintenance. Zero issues. Have seen several boats hit 1500-2000 hours and still going.

Mine is pretty much exactly this. 06 Monsoon 340 with 630ish hours. No issues.

Last boat i bought at 6xx hours and sold at just under 1000 hours. No issues. 

Edited by chris4x4gill2
8 hours ago, saskicker32 said:

I'm hoping your estimates are low. I had a new tach installed by prior owner and know my hours don't read correctly (they are low). I bought the boat with 830 on the tach, and 950 according to the computer (dealer pulled it for me). My tach now reads only like 1150 which I know I've put more than the difference in the tach on the boat. I'd assume I'm sitting around 1500-1600 on it, 2003 VLX. With this boat, I've only not started once and that was the boneheaded kill switch lanyard was loose. I actually just replaced the two batteries for the first time since I've owned it (4 years ago) and the batteries had '06 labels. I do get a funky volt warning no matter what (even with new batteries sometimes says "Voltage 6.5" or something, but fires not problem every time), I've replaced a few ballast pumps here and there, but I've had to do more to the trailer than the boat (see my DIY about replacing axles). Great boat, has probably taught ~75-100 people wakeboarding behind it while i've owned it.

My dad has about 800 on his '96 Response

Maybe they are low?  Maybe 2000+ is normal but I haven't seen many or any over 3000. Does anyone on here have one?  

These are big ranges that we're mostly guessing on. Plus or minus 500 hours is plus or minus 5-10 boating seasons for a lot of us.  I'm gonna try really hard to put over 100 hours on the wakeaetter this year but I have a feeling I'll be just short. 

On 7/28/2016 at 10:40 PM, ChainSetter said:

So I hear constantly that inboards only go 800-900 hours max before major engine issues.  I'm curious what the crew experiences have been.  I'm at 650 hours on a 350 Monsoon 23LSV 2007.  How many hours do you have on your boat? What engine? What boat?  How about past boats?    Just curious what experiences people have had.

Whoever told you that is whack. 06 w/ 1200. I see boats all the time with way more than that.  Use your boat! It is more of a crime to have an old boat with 200 hours than with 2000. 

775 and counting. 07 VLX 350 monsoon. 

As my mechanic tells me do the maintenance and she will do the time. All fluids twice a year. Impeller and plugs every other. I. Doing hoses and belts for the first time end of this season. 

17 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

Maybe they are low?  Maybe 2000+ is normal but I haven't seen many or any over 3000. Does anyone on here have one?  

These are big ranges that we're mostly guessing on. Plus or minus 500 hours is plus or minus 5-10 boating seasons for a lot of us.  I'm gonna try really hard to put over 100 hours on the wakeaetter this year but I have a feeling I'll be just short. 

Not a ski boat, but our old houseboat partnership (which was used hard) had 4500 hours on the 5.0 Mercruisers when it sank.  Boat was salvaged, and the engines are still in use.

22 hours ago, robbennett said:

Whoever told you that is whack. 06 w/ 1200. I see boats all the time with way more than that.  Use your boat! It is more of a crime to have an old boat with 200 hours than with 2000. 

I do not understand why people buy a boat and let it sit in thier garage or storage.   If your life changes and you can no longer use it, that is different.  However you see adds on only inboards etc.  With 2-3 year old boat with 20 hours on them. 

I have seen my boat usage fall off a LOT this year.  It's even crossed my mind to sell it which is a sad sad thing.  Got my 2012 VLX in May 2013 and I just hit 425 hours. Lots of electrical issues early on but now all the bugs are worked out and it's working like a champ (knocking on wood). 

1600ish. 1991. mercruiser 350. I've put about 200 on it in the three seasons I've had it. When I got it the hour meter would turn while the key was turned to play music, and I believe that contributed to quite a few hours. I put the stereo on it's own battery, etc. so no more of that. The boat has been mostly trouble free despite some pretty heavy use: countless people have learned to ski with my boat and bare foot speed is full throttle all the way. Recently, my exhaust manifolds went bad, and I hydrolocked and trashed the flywheel ring gear. I believe the engine is undamaged.

I'd say age has had much more of an effect than hours or even heavy use

Edited by toddthelineman