Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge and speed on a 22VLX


smooky

Recommended Posts

Surfing - goofy 10.8 mph two clicks, regular 11.0-11.2 mph 3 clicks.

Wakeboarding - advanced riders usually 2-3 clicks up at 20.5-23.5 mph, full mls.  Intermediate center and rear tanks full wedge all way down 19.5-20 mph.

Link to comment

I'm not good at wake boarding, just sold my Slingshot Nomad beginning of the year, as I used it only two times last year. 

Starting this year, I'm a 100% surfing guy :-)

Tanks for the tip Fman, I will try this setup, instead of the factory setup.

Link to comment
7 hours ago, Fman said:

Surfing - goofy 10.8 mph two clicks, regular 11.0-11.2 mph 3 clicks.

Wakeboarding - advanced riders usually 2-3 clicks up at 20.5-23.5 mph, full mls.  Intermediate center and rear tanks full wedge all way down 19.5-20 mph.

So, more wedge & slower speed on the goofy side?  I wold have thought those settings would be switched to battle the natural increases of the goofy side wake.


Dave

 

Link to comment
ahopkinsVTX
13 hours ago, malibuskier2003 said:

So, more wedge & slower speed on the goofy side?  I wold have thought those settings would be switched to battle the natural increases of the goofy side wake.


Dave

 

Assuming @Fman is referencing his his click measurement from all the way down on the wedge, bottom, ramp - on the screen; three clicks would be more wedge for the regular side.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Assuming @Fman is referencing his his click measurement from all the way down on the wedge, bottom, ramp - on the screen; three clicks would be more wedge for the regular side.

I read it as down from stow, thus the confusion!  

Link to comment

The regular side wake needs more wedge and a little more speed than goofy to create a nice lip.  Assuming this is from prop rotation.  When I mentioned clicks up that is starting from the lowest position.  So three clicks up would be on the third bar up from lowest setting on touch screen.

We are just average Joe surfers, I am sure there are better recipes out there.  I'm at the point where I just try to keep it simple and consistent every time.  This week I had 8-12 people in the boat all week, so we have been running heavier than normal.  When this happens I will usually try and put two adults in the bow.

Link to comment
On July 21, 2016 at 7:14 AM, Fman said:

Surfing - goofy 10.8 mph two clicks, regular 11.0-11.2 mph 3 clicks.

Wakeboarding - advanced riders usually 2-3 clicks up at 20.5-23.5 mph, full mls.  Intermediate center and rear tanks full wedge all way down 19.5-20 mph.

Travis, have you ever tried to wakeboard with all your sacks full?  

We were fully loaded the other day for surfing but had to run back to the dock to pick up a buddy who showed up late, so rather than dump it all out I just set cruise to 22 and dropped the wedge to lift mode. It took a little bit to get up to speed but once we did I moved the wedge back to a few clicks up and it was an amazing sight to behold!  Definitely G23 size. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I have not tried bags in rear full for wakeboarding, I am assuming I would definitely also need the 750 lb bow bag or the boat would never plane out.  We had a large group this past week and the wakeboard wake was pretty amazing.  My son rides at 20.5mph so there is a tip over there with not enough speed and proper weight to get a clean wake on both sides.  The hard tanks full and wedge seem to be great for him at 20.5 and keeping a clean wake.  I have a few other friends who ride 23+ so they would be a better candidate for adding more weight.

I might try it this fall, I have a 3 day guys trip coming up in September with a couple guys coming that can really ride at advanced levels along with my son who will also be coming out.  Might be a good time to try and experiment with the bags and more weight.

I would love to see some pics of a 4000lb+ weighted vlx/lsv wakeboard wake! :-)

Link to comment
  • 5 weeks later...

We run Full MLS and 600Lb up Front and my 2-825Lb bags about 1/2 full for Wakeboarding, Awesome wake, We Surf with the rear bags about 3/4 Full and just drain a small amount to help Plane out to 23 MPH

Link to comment
On 23 July 2016 at 4:15 AM, Fman said:

I have not tried bags in rear full for wakeboarding, I am assuming I would definitely also need the 750 lb bow bag or the boat would never plane out.  We had a large group this past week and the wakeboard wake was pretty amazing.  My son rides at 20.5mph so there is a tip over there with not enough speed and proper weight to get a clean wake on both sides.  The hard tanks full and wedge seem to be great for him at 20.5 and keeping a clean wake.  I have a few other friends who ride 23+ so they would be a better candidate for adding more weight.

I might try it this fall, I have a 3 day guys trip coming up in September with a couple guys coming that can really ride at advanced levels along with my son who will also be coming out.  Might be a good time to try and experiment with the bags and more weight.

I would love to see some pics of a 4000lb+ weighted vlx/lsv wakeboard wake! :-)

We usually have 2 or 3 wakeboard sets each (full MLS, wedge varies depending on rider) then switch to surfing with full MLS plus PNP bags and bow bag full.  Last season one time after we were all done the water was still perfect when I finished my last surf (I always go last) so I thought I'd have a wakeboard on the way back to the ramp. OMG - the wake scared the **** out of me!!  Waaaayyyy too big for my humble abilities lol ?.  Did look super impressive though?

 

Link to comment
On July 23, 2016 at 4:15 PM, Fman said:

I have not tried bags in rear full for wakeboarding, I am assuming I would definitely also need the 750 lb bow bag or the boat would never plane out.  We had a large group this past week and the wakeboard wake was pretty amazing.  My son rides at 20.5mph so there is a tip over there with not enough speed and proper weight to get a clean wake on both sides.  The hard tanks full and wedge seem to be great for him at 20.5 and keeping a clean wake.  I have a few other friends who ride 23+ so they would be a better candidate for adding more weight.

I might try it this fall, I have a 3 day guys trip coming up in September with a couple guys coming that can really ride at advanced levels along with my son who will also be coming out.  Might be a good time to try and experiment with the bags and more weight.

I would love to see some pics of a 4000lb+ weighted vlx/lsv wakeboard wake! :-)

wake_zpsfbhewtdh.jpg

Here is a 5000lb 15 LSV, biggest wake I've seen!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...