Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Electrical Problems on 05 VLX

Ok, so long time since I've posted anything, but always lurking around.

Over the last few months, I've had a couple of things go out.  2 furthest rear tower speakers and 2 furthest rear seating area speakers...now all of my tower lights went out.  

1)  I've replaced all the speakers since they were original and the ones that were out have stayed out.  I've tried to pull the head unit, but it gets stuck halfway out.  The 2 bow speakers, 2 speakers near the helm and spotter's seat and the 2 front tower speakers all work, just the 4 rearest are out.

2)  There is power to the light switches, but not to the lights themselves.   I have not removed the cover near the throttle to poke around back there yet.  I was kind of hoping someone had a suggestion that was simpler than that.  I see the relay in the spotter's seat storage area, but it's on the back wall and I can't quite reach it.  I have a feeling it's not the relays though since there is power to the switches.   I'm not sure where the fuses are.  I'm assuming near the breaker panel by the driver's seat.

3)  Last question - anyone know a way to get better access to the spotter's seat cubby?  There is an awful lot of electronic stuff in there (batteries, big subwoofer box, amps, battery pergo switch etc), and I can't reach to the back where the amp is mounted.

That's all folks...

1 minute ago, jshap said:

I've tried to pull the head unit, but it gets stuck halfway out.

There's a tiny phillips head screw that holds a bracket to the back of the head unit.  You need a stubby #2 phillips.  Get to it by taking out the screws that hold the panel in place and reach around.  Being a contortionist helps...  You'll also need the Sony (or other) head unit removal tools but if you got it half way out you probably already have these.  Available at car audio place, Amazon, or eBay.  Don't lose the screw if you're putting the HU back in.  It's a *&#$ to get back in by the way, so check all your other wires and connections to the amps and speakers first.  You can determine if the problem is between the HU and amps - or between the amps and speakers - by switching the RCA cables between zones at the amps.

Can't help with your crowded locker but I doubt the interior lights are on a relay.  Did you check the bulbs?

Just now, minnmarker said:

There's a tiny phillips head screw that holds a bracket to the back of the head unit.  You need a stubby #2 phillips.  Get to it by taking out the screws that hold the panel in place and reach around.  Being a contortionist helps...  You'll also need the Sony (or other) head unit removal tools but if you got it half way out you probably already have these.  Available at car audio place, Amazon, or eBay.  Don't lose the screw if you're putting the HU back in.  It's a *&#$ to get back in by the way, so check all your other wires and connections to the amps and speakers first.  You can determine if the problem is between the HU and amps - or between the amps and speakers - by switching the RCA cables between zones at the amps.

Can't help with your crowded locker but I doubt the interior lights are on a relay.  Did you check the bulbs?

Thanks for the advice on the screw.  That was really ticking me off.  :)  

It's the tower halogens.  I traced the wires to what looks like two auto relays on the back wall of the cubby, near the battery.    I assume those things pull enough juice that you'd want to relay them.