Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HELP 3 Year Noise @ Dealership Now

22 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I don't think a 95 Sunsetter is a 100K boat

I get that, I was just meaning more in general. A older boat is an older boat. But say this happened on a 2016 from what I can tell they should do that. 

7 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

I get that, I was just meaning more in general. A older boat is an older boat. But say this happened on a 2016 from what I can tell they should do that. 

You think boat dealers should have loaner boats in stock and available for when your boat is in for service?

11 hours ago, RTS said:

You think boat dealers should have loaner boats in stock and available for when your boat is in for service?

Maybe not directly loaner boats. Possibly a used one that's on the lot that's a year or two old. Some of the dealers around me also rent out wakeboard boats, so just include that in the service. 

Just to clarify these would only be needed for people who are basically losing out on summer because of a broken boat. Having problems on end, with the boat in the shop for many weeks or hours on the motor testing. A simple oil change or what not wouldn't fall under this, that's supposed to happen, you can plan those. 

20 hours ago, saxton15 said:

You might need to upload a short video or sound sample of the sound from neutral to gear for us to help you out.  I get a low humming sound from neutral to gear as well, but I've never felt a shudder, or seen a lot of leaking from the packing nut that would lead me to believe the transmission is hurting.  All my fluid levels and impeller are up to date as well.  This has always lead me to believe the sound is normal. 

Great suggestion. If the dealer can not get it fixed I will take a video and post. Boat is 5 hours away right now..

On 7/8/2016 at 2:41 PM, JasonK said:

Wish you could've been there when they pulled the transmission with the blower hose wrapped around it. Maybe the wire in the blower hose got up to the engine. Can someone explain why a bell housing would be changed from this happening?

Was a new trans installed or did they have yours re-built?

Try to get a transmission service station to have someone take a ride with you.

I'm going to go check my blower hose now.

Yes New transmission was installed along with a new bell housing. The old dealer Great Wakes (out of business) never said why the bell housing was replaced. The new dealer Sunny Marine has raised the question now if the new transmission was actually installed? They are speculating Great Wakes might have put in a rebuilt or an old transmission laying around into our boat. Pulling paper work to check data plate and serial numbers? Can not believe it has gotten to this point?? Just doing what I am asked to eliminate all possibilities?

• 2 weeks later...

Sunny Marine called last Wednesday July 20 5 weeks from drop off. With a noise from neutral to idle after an new transmission and bell housing installed 2 years ago. From out of business Great Wakes Malibu dealer. Talked to the Wife. I was in the hospital with a gash in my head from a spud bar letting loose and knocking me on the top of my head. Waited all day for a plastic surgeon to come in to stitch me up. No idea how many stitches I got. So i have been putting this phone conversation off to Sunny Marine. Want to get my brain healed a bit. We are going down to pick up the boat this Saturday July30th. Wife is over not getting her pulls this summer...I am going to call to get more details, but wanted to get some advice from the Crew. As to what question to ask? They told my wife the boats idle was set too low?  And the new transmission is tight? The lower planetary gears in the transmission are what is making the noise? The idle on this boat has been set the same for 19 years (21 year old boat) with out a problem? My fear is they bumped up the idle setting to get passed the noise I hearing,  coming out of neutral into idle? Another fear I have is this idle is now set so high I will be blowing through the no wakes areas?? Not Good!  Could this possibly be the answer to the noise I have been hearing for the last three years? I am throwing this out to the crew to see if anyone out there, thinks this could have been our problem..Along with what questions should I have for the Dealer to put my mind at ease. This season is shot. I rather blow off the rest of the year and get this gremlin figured out.. I know this Malibu dealer is done with us. So If this is not the fix I will need to find a new repair source.,. Anyone think Malibu could be of any help, this far along in the process? Thanks everyone for you help and thoughts...Just want to get back on the lake and enjoy....

I would no accept a rigged higher idle, that's for sure.  You'll be fixing your transmission later...

What was your idle all these years, anyhow?

@Monk:   Ouch, heal quick.  As a reference, I have a Velvet Drive trans & in gear idle at 500-600 rpm it is quiet using hydraulic oil, it would tend to clatter with ATF and the clatter would go away with a little extra throttel.  My new raw water pump makes more noise than the trans...

16 hours ago, formulaben said:

I would no accept a rigged higher idle, that's for sure.  You'll be fixing your transmission later...

What was your idle all these years, anyhow?

They said our was set @ around 500 rpm at idle. New setting is 750 rpm.

15 hours ago, Woodski said:

@Monk:   Ouch, heal quick.  As a reference, I have a Velvet Drive trans & in gear idle at 500-600 rpm it is quiet using hydraulic oil, it would tend to clatter with ATF and the clatter would go away with a little extra throttel.  My new raw water pump makes more noise than the trans...

I do not know if our noise is a clatter more like a rubbing grinding sound. If 750 rpm's is flying I will change to hydraulic oil.... Got nothing else to try. Can not hurt anything?

750 seems in the reasonable range, not sure what the factory spec is on your engine but for a Mercruiser 5.7 of that vintage they say 650RPM in gear, which would translate to a somewhat higher rpm in neutral.

What engine have you got?  Mercury/Indmar, carb or FI?

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

750 seems in the reasonable range, not sure what the factory spec is on your engine but for a Mercruiser 5.7 of that vintage they say 650RPM in gear, which would translate to a somewhat higher rpm in neutral.

What engine have you got?  Mercury/Indmar, carb or FI?

Yes our engine is a Mercury 350 magnum 5.7L 260 HP carbureted. Great info did not know you could find out what the idle for this old of an engine should be. Good info for my upcoming phone call.

1 minute ago, Monk said:

Yes our engine is a Mercury 350 magnum 5.7L 260 HP carbureted. Great info did not know you could find out what the idle for this old of an engine should be. Good info for my upcoming phone call.

THis should be the manual for that engine

http://www.atlanticmobilemarine.com/service%20manual%205&57.pdf

Page 1B-9 says that the idle for a 5.7L carb inboard should be 650RPM in neutral once it is up to operating temperature

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2
39 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Got THis should be the manual for that engine

http://www.atlanticmobilemarine.com/service%20manual%205&57.pdf

Page 1B-9 says that the idle for a 5.7L carb inboard should be 650RPM in neutral once it is up to operating temperature

Got it. Thank you for tracking this info down...Will keep this information/manual close. I hope my head stays on my shoulder's and does not spin off while getting the details as what they did and why from the dealer/mechanic this afternoon.

@Monk:  For me, there are a couple of considerations when changing idle speed:  most important, at a higher setting does the gearbox clunk or have a rough or unsatisfying engagement (which for me would be unacceptable) and the second would be the effect on operation with a higher idle speed - boat speed when just engaged, noise level or other noticeable items with a higher idle speed (fumes/fuel use/ ??).  As only observing the thread from a keyboard, it appears the fix is a band aid to something a few eyeballs have witnessed in person but can not identify the root of the problem.  I hope the idle speed fixes the issue and is a satisfactory solution, getting on the water is key at this point.

Google this: "mercruiser 350 magnum tournament ski manual" and you can download the pdf  Brunswick manual .

Edited by Woodski
  • Like 2

Talked to Jeff the mechanic that Sunny Marine sent our boat out to, to be worked on. He outlined what he heard when he was running the boat. The lower planetary gears in the transmission were hitting rubbing making the noise. Because Great Wake Bankrupted out of business Malibu dealer. Who put the new transmission in two years ago did not adjust the idle correctly. And this has been the noise all along?  Jeff said raising the idle was what the engine and transmission needed. He raised the idle by listening to the engine and transmission and manually increased the idle until everything smooth out. Jeff sounded like he knew what he was doing, he has been in the marine repair business for 20+ years.  He also said if thing did not seem right to us, he wanted us to bring the boat back to him and he would take another look and lower the idle if we wanted. But this fix is what he thinks the problem is. All we can do now is pick up the boat and take it out and see how she runs. At this point that is all we have....Hoping for the best.. It's been a long run at this problem hopefully this adjustment will be what is needed. Will updated as needed. Thanks everyone on the crew for all you help. It was of great help..

• 2 weeks later...