Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Odd tire wear

racer808

Trailer came with 14" rims & what looked like almost new Goodyear Marathons, class C.  We've put maybe a thousand miles on since getting it & all the tires need replacing.  One had metal sticking out so I replaced it.  All Discount Tire had were Carlisle Radial Trail, so I got one of them.  200 miles later the remaining Goodyear Marathons are chunked, have metal sticking out, two are egged shaped with a high spot down the middle & the sides worn badly.  Putting more Carlisles on today for the rest of summer.  Curious if the Carlisle even though same size but different looking would cause such quick wear on the others?  Possible bearing or axle problem causing this?  Goodyear just a total crap tire?  I am planning on buying 15's & light duty truck tires over the winter.  But the sudden wear on these tires has me concerned.  Thought maybe the boat was too heavy but the tire guy said that would typically cause side wall damage or a blow out.  He thinks the Goodyears are just terrible tires.  Thought I'd ask the crew?    

50psi.  I keep thinking the 14" class C is under sized for a 23' boat.  Boat has got to be close to 6000 pounds with fuel & gear.  

8 minutes ago, racer808 said:

50psi.  I keep thinking the 14" class C is under sized for a 23' boat.  Boat has got to be close to 6000 pounds with fuel & gear.  

I'd guess more than 6K easily, my VTX is somewhere in the neighborhood of 5500lbs loaded.  You can get 14" D rated tires - Kenda Loadstar at e-trailer

I replaced all my good years with the discount tire carlisles and bought the warranty for each one.  They will replace for any issue other than normal wear, which most people don't put more than 1000 miles per year on them.  I take mine back up there once per year for them to inspect the tires and they replace questionable ones with brand new ones for the $30 warranty for the new tire.  Haven't had to deal with a blowout in 5 years and they've replaced 2 tires under warranty.  I thought too about switching to LT tires but I'm pretty happy basically paying $30 for a new tire or 2 every few years.

1 hour ago, racer808 said:

Have you verified with a 2nd gauge?  1k miles is absurdly low to wear out a set of tires.  It does sound overloaded or underinflated.

I've had many Goodyears on many trailers, never a problem.

+1 on verifying pressures. Get an old school pressure gauge. I went back to that after doubting my digital gauge and confirming it was almost 12psi off 

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:21 PM, MadMan said:

Have you verified with a 2nd gauge?  1k miles is absurdly low to wear out a set of tires.  It does sound overloaded or underinflated.

I've had many Goodyears on many trailers, never a problem.

Ditto on the manual gauge and test a few of those to. I tried about 12 per a guy at store to find 3 that read the same pressure and have one in each vehicle of ours. Checked em against high quality gauge at shop and all 3 within 1 pound of his gauge so happy I checked em. Some of the same lot of gauges in the bin were as much as 5lbs off from each other. Same reputable brand and not cheap ones either.  I'm a nut w tire pressures and check every time I use my utility trailers, and each week on our boat trailer.  Have always been told by tire guys, air pressure number one reason tires wear out early or issues w em ect...