Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My marriage was tested today...

racer808

Man, some of your responses make it sound like I got out of my truck & beat her.  The trailer was at the correct depth for loading, she's done this a million times, she just came in at an angle, then when stuck on the trailer she couldn't reverse because we weren't far enough in.  I had to quickly back down a bit more so she could reverse but there's a sudden drop of about 6" on this beach so I think she was reversing too hard, then the boat suddenly floats cause I backed down further & she went hard right right over the trailer.  Launching from a beach is something we've only done a handful of times, usually I am standing at the concrete ramp with the ability to correct or tell her to make another approach & she's an incredible pilot.  Being I have not gotten my lifted beater we try to be quick on this beach so we don't get stuck.  Everyone out there has an old beat up truck with a lift & mud tires & here I am with a stock Ram 1500 & all terrain tires, which to be fair have given me no issue yet.  But I am getting a beater, hopefully the one I look at today pans out, all the others ones I've checked out needed too much work

On a negative side!  A buddy's bachelor party was last night, had a hall pass to hit up the titty bars & wouldn't you know it, bachelors wife to be didn't want him in titty bars, two of the others guys promised their wives they wouldn't go to a titty bar so the one time I can go without getting in trouble no one else can go!  

1 hour ago, Chia said:

i would tell her, thanks, that was the totally wrong prop for that boat. I have been meaning to replace it and now we get to experience the boat properly propped. Thank goodness we also found out how the bunks on the trailer were rotting out. I will be replacing those. Blessing in disguise. Lets have sex...

Speaks pure wisdom . . .

5 hours ago, oldjeep said:

ouch. I've had to catch our boat a couple times since it is really easy to put the tracking fins between a pair of the side bunks when a roller pushes the boat in a little cockeyed. 

Guide bar needs to be cut off and replaced, if it doesn't snap bending it back, it'll be weak. 

good luck on the repairs.

How do you replace it?  I looked at it, I don't see the side arms being bolted on so it is one solid piece.  If I cut it off, what do I use to put a new one up?

26 minutes ago, racer808 said:

How do you replace it?  I looked at it, I don't see the side arms being bolted on so it is one solid piece.  If I cut it off, what do I use to put a new one up?

you would need to cut it off either just above the step then sleeve it and weld on a new upper piece, or cut the welds off the side of step and replace whole thing. Not a big deal if you can weld, going to cost you if you can't.

58 minutes ago, racer808 said:

Man, some of your responses make it sound like I got out of my truck & beat her.  The trailer was at the correct depth for loading, she's done this a million times, she just came in at an angle, then when stuck on the trailer she couldn't reverse because we weren't far enough in.  I had to quickly back down a bit more so she could reverse but there's a sudden drop of about 6" on this beach so I think she was reversing too hard, then the boat suddenly floats cause I backed down further & she went hard right right over the trailer.  Launching from a beach is something we've only done a handful of times, usually I am standing at the concrete ramp with the ability to correct or tell her to make another approach & she's an incredible pilot.  Being I have not gotten my lifted beater we try to be quick on this beach so we don't get stuck.  Everyone out there has an old beat up truck with a lift & mud tires & here I am with a stock Ram 1500 & all terrain tires, which to be fair have given me no issue yet.  But I am getting a beater, hopefully the one I look at today pans out, all the others ones I've checked out needed too much work

On a negative side!  A buddy's bachelor party was last night, had a hall pass to hit up the titty bars & wouldn't you know it, bachelors wife to be didn't want him in titty bars, two of the others guys promised their wives they wouldn't go to a titty bar so the one time I can go without getting in trouble no one else can go!  

One tip, you should be out of the truck at the winch so that you can hop up on the fender steps and redirect the boat. In your system who hooks the winch and cranks tight? Our rule, boat in neutral when you get to trailer and don't go back into gear, I'll deal with it if it gets on cockeyed, push it back and then just crank it on.

Also Sounds like the trailer might have been in a bit deep if it could ride that far up.

Edited by oldjeep
5 hours ago, oldjeep said:

you would need to cut it off either just above the step then sleeve it and weld on a new upper piece, or cut the welds off the side of step and replace whole thing. Not a big deal if you can weld, going to cost you if you can't.

One tip, you should be out of the truck at the winch so that you can hop up on the fender steps and redirect the boat. In your system who hooks the winch and cranks tight? Our rule, boat in neutral when you get to trailer and don't go back into gear, I'll deal with it if it gets on cockeyed, push it back and then just crank it on.

Also Sounds like the trailer might have been in a bit deep if it could ride that far up.

No, it was backed in the same depth I always back into for loading.  She just powered HARD to get it up to the nose.  My daughter sits in the bow, tells wife when we're good, cranks the wench & away we go.  The too deep part came when I saw she couldn't reverse, I heard her hitting reverse hard & not being able to get back down which is when I reversed so she could back off the trailer, that's when the boat broke lose in reverse, hard, then right over the bunk & trailer.  After looking around today I think prop & a new bunk.  Turns out the guide poles slide in with a disconnect thing at the bottom, so that should be an easy replace.  Order new prop tomorrow, pray to god shaft is still aligned but I see markings on the piece the shaft slides through right before the prop, not sure what that is called.  

1 hour ago, racer808 said:

No, it was backed in the same depth I always back into for loading.  She just powered HARD to get it up to the nose.  My daughter sits in the bow, tells wife when we're good, cranks the wench & away we go.  The too deep part came when I saw she couldn't reverse, I heard her hitting reverse hard & not being able to get back down which is when I reversed so she could back off the trailer, that's when the boat broke lose in reverse, hard, then right over the bunk & trailer.  After looking around today I think prop & a new bunk.  Turns out the guide poles slide in with a disconnect thing at the bottom, so that should be an easy replace.  Order new prop tomorrow, pray to god shaft is still aligned but I see markings on the piece the shaft slides through right before the prop, not sure what that is called.  

My point - if you can crank it from the bow - then it is in too deep.  Not that it might not work a lot of the time but it is deep enough that you can drive over the trailer.

5 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

My point - if you can crank it from the bow - then it is in too deep.  Not that it might not work a lot of the time but it is deep enough that you can drive over the trailer.

Not sure I agree with this. A lot of places it's illegal to power load. So cranking it up from the bow is the only option you have. I probably launch 20 or 30 boats a day without running over the trailer, but I have to crank it up to preserve the ramp.

• Like 1
Just now, oldjeep said:

Wife is having to gas it to get the boat to bow hook where it needs to be, it is not floating which is why she has to power up, daughter was taught to just clip & crank the belt tight, not pull the boat up, bow hook is already at it's resting position.   We know how to load the boat, it was a fluke this time

2 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Not sure I agree with this. A lot of places it's illegal to power load. So cranking it up from the bow is the only option you have. I probably launch 20 or 30 boats a day without running over the trailer, but I have to crank it up to preserve the ramp.

Power load?  You just crank it up the last foot or so.  My wife is in neutral before she gets to the trailer.  Sure you can run it deep enough to run it right to the bow stop, but the price you pay is the ability for the driver or a roller to put it over the front of the trailer.

Pretty sure he is saying that someone is sitting in the bow of the boat cranking

1 minute ago, racer808 said:

Wife is having to gas it to get the boat to bow hook where it needs to be, it is not floating which is why she has to power up, daughter was taught to just clip & crank the belt tight, not pull the boat up, bow hook is already at it's resting position.   We know how to load the boat, it was a fluke this time

Whatever works for you, if you are power loading on a beach like you describe then you are likely creating a hole and a mound.  Or you could hop out of the truck, get your feet wet and crank the boat up.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1

The answer is slow, stop and not too deep, and the secret ingredient! That is called liquid roller.

Only thing with liquid roller, make sure your transom straps are snug, cause that boat is really loose after you spray your bunks!

Also, check your transom straps on the trailer. I had one not sucked in all the way last year and the prop caught it, sucked it up and wrecked a prop! Dealer here, did it too last year.

Edited by surfdude
30 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Also, remember, every launch has a different angle. So what might work 1 place won't work somewhere else. 

8 hours ago, oldjeep said:

be out of the truck at the winch so that you can hop up on the fender steps and redirect the boat. In your system who hooks the winch and cranks tight? Our rule, boat in neutral when you get to trailer and don't go back into gear, I'll deal with it if it gets on cockeyed, push it back and then just crank it on.

One other thing...for the first 3 years of owning the boat I was in the water standing on the bunks while my young son inched it in.  It took him 2 summers before he got it right, and now he can glide it right in without me even getting wet.

You just have to be careful that they aren't coming in hot or you could seriously injure yourself.

12 minutes ago, braindamage said:

One other thing...for the first 3 years of owning the boat I was in the water standing on the bunks while my young son inched it in.  It took him 2 summers before he got it right, and now he can glide it right in without me even getting wet.

You just have to be careful that they aren't coming in hot or you could seriously injure yourself.

yeah, I dont venture any further than the fender steps. Slipping in the middle of the trailer could really hurt. She puts it straight on most of the time, but people have a bad habit of tubing past the launch so you can get hit with random rollers near the trailer.

I'm new to public ramps and had a friend back my trailer in for me this past Saturday. He went too far back and I kept yelling for him to move forward, he kept moving back. At that point I eased forward and told him to pull up. I eventually had to go back out, let him move the trailer and go for a 2nd attempt. It was ugly,I had visions of my prop looking like OP's, I got sideways but corrected pretty quick, it was still too deep. Next time though, I think he'll have it. It would have been faster and more efficient if I had done it all by myself.

Sorry to hear that, but I agree with others forgive and forget. Maybe you could try a different approach next time when loading b/c I know she will be nervous about it from now on.

I always back the trailer down into the water while wife is holding boat at the dock, then we switch she goes into truck (to back down further if needed) and I guide boat onto the trailer & pull it towards the front with a dock rope.. once we get it strapped she pulls the boat out of the water and I pull the drain plug. Our process takes a min or two longer than driving it onto the trailer but our last boat got scratched bad one time on the guide poles driving it on b/c it was so windy when loading it.

I use several different ramps of some steep and some not. I always put the top of the trailer fenders just under the water and it seems to work every time. 

3/4 of the fender in the water and drive that sucker on. Check the water behind you and make sure you aren't getting any rollers before you start your approach. 

• Like 1

I just got married Saturday, Shes pretty good at backing the trailer but I usually have other people around helping out.  I bought some two way radios one in the boat and one in the truck. Doesn't matter who is driving, I can call it out where I want the trailer based on traffic and how deep etc.  I usually just drive up, get it between the goal posts and shut it off. Climb up front to hook it up and winch it the last 4ft.  Usually one of the faster groups on the local ramps.

28 minutes ago, twitchee2 said:

I just got married Saturday, Shes pretty good at backing the trailer but I usually have other people around helping out.  I bought some two way radios one in the boat and one in the truck. Doesn't matter who is driving, I can call it out where I want the trailer based on traffic and how deep etc.  I usually just drive up, get it between the goal posts and shut it off. Climb up front to hook it up and winch it the last 4ft.  Usually one of the faster groups on the local ramps.

Congrats!

Ordered prop on Monday, was told it would for sure be here by Friday, came home no prop.  I called Nettles, was rather upset when they couldn't find the order & it was never entered.  But Jay stepped right up & paid to overnight it to me.  That's some service, he probably doesn't even have that much profit on it.  Never got that kind of service out of Motosport or Rocky Mountain ATV & I spent thousands a year with those guys when the kids were racing.  Huge shout to Nettles, you should all buy your props from him

• Like 2