Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Backing Trailer uphill with surge brakes

Roush611

At the local gas station I often have to back up a small grade to get my boat next to the pump.  Would this cause the surge brakes to engage?  The reason I ask is it gets extremely difficult to back up as if the brakes are engaged on the trailer. Or is it possible my brakes are not working correctly?

Yes, that pressure would cause your brakes to engage. Except, most trailers I have seen of your generation use the UFP system which has the electronic lockout. So it sounds like something is not quite working correctly.

If you are using a 7 to 5 adapter make sure that it is wired correctly with a test light.  I had two that were incorrectly wired from the factory and would lock my brakes up in reverse if there was a slight incline.  

There should be a brake lockout solenoid and a wire for it.  I think it's blue.  That's why the trailer harness has a 5 pin connector.  It gets connected to the tow vehicle backup lights either directly or through a relay - depending on vehicle.

I would assume this is normal considering how surge brakes work on a 4 pin connector; a 5 or 7 should override the brakes. A magnet on the pin in the coupler should alleviate the problem, just don't forget to remove it before you starting driving. Take a look at this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BACK-UP-BUDDY-A-UFP-SURGE-BRAKE-LOCK-OUT-KEY-BOAT-TRAILER-MAGNETIC-KEY-/120941559235

magnet-lr.jpg.13030f0326e6785c6f1b1fb743

magnet_use-lr.thumb.jpg.4ab1bb7a7d5811f7

Just now, minnmarker said:

There should be a brake lockout solenoid and a wire for it.  I think it's blue.  That's why the trailer harness has a 5 pin connector.  It gets connected to the tow vehicle backup lights either directly or through a relay - depending on vehicle.

The blue wire on the 7 pin adapter was hooked to the wrong pin.  The other 4 (green, yellow, brown, white) were correct.  

1 minute ago, blk93jeepzj said:

If you are using a 7 to 5 adapter make sure that it is wired correctly with a test light.  I had two that were incorrectly wired from the factory and would lock my brakes up in reverse if there was a slight incline.  

Yes, I am using a round 7 to flat 5 adapter.  I will have to check it out. 

After loosing a 5-7 adapter & then having one not work at all, I chose to rewire the trailer with a 7 round, coiled JetConnex connector. Only took a few minutes & really cleaned up the whole setup. No wires to drag or wrap around the trailer, no issues with trailer brakes or lights.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 3
14 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

After loosing a 5-7 adapter & then having one not work at all, I chose to rewire the trailer with a 7 round, coiled JetConnex connector. Only took a few minutes & really cleaned up the whole setup. No wires to drag or wrap around the trailer, no issues with trailer brakes or lights.

This is what I do, don't like using adapters.

Also, the lock-out only really applies to trailers with disc brakes.

22 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Do you have the wiring diagram for a flat 5 to round 7? I know they are slightly different...

I have an 04 Yukon and the factory 7 round has the pins listed and labeled on the cover.  Take a look and I'll try to post a pic for reference too.

IMG_3317.JPG

IMG_3317.JPG

Edited by blk93jeepzj
Added picture. Sorry it's sideways, and 2 pics.

Center pin is reverse for surge brake lockout. Ignore the blue "brake control" wire for your boat trailer, that is for a dash mounted electric brake controller like on a camper or utility trailer that (hopefully) doesn't get dunked in a lake.

Also, on the actual connector, pins are labeled by number and color. Ignore the color label and use the numbers. The colors don't match, use the diagram below. 

7-Wire-Trailer-Diagram_zpskjfqsz2q.jpg

Edited by jk13

If you don't want to buy the manual lockout device a nut and some tape put in the slot where the lockout goes work wonder's in a pinch, I can usually find both in my toolbox in the boat somewhere.

I've been using a 5-7 adapter for years.  I'll wire mine to a 7 pin if I ever need to rewire; project isn't worth it unless needed.  Solenoid lockout > manual block-off key. 

The other think that works a little nicer than the key is this.  I have one on my trailer for the places where it is a long way from launch to park so that I can completely disable the brakes when the trailer is empty - jumps around too much every time you slow down.

34359-w_1.jpg