Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Modify boat trailer with utility deck?

TimbrSS

So had to get some lumber the other day. I keep boat on lift, and pay to store my boat trailer nearby. I decided boat trailer needed to earn it's rent.

IMG_20160524_144709526_zpsp4nsdgq1.jpg

Then I got to thinking it would be useful to modify trailer to accept some sort of bed. Probably a couple hundred worth of supplies, but could make my trailer that sits unused 355 days a year, a little more useful to me. Anyone made something like this?

Or just tell me the craziest thing you've hailed on your boat trailer .

• Like 2

Boat trailers have a lot of hauling realestate in comparison to their load ratings. Keep that in mind when loading her up. I worked at HD part time after school to pay off debt and I saw some guys load some things on boat trailers that really shouldn't have. For instance, guy put a PALLET of asphalt shingles on a small single axle boat trailer (small trailer, like 12" wheels). I asked him if he wanted to put the pallet in his truck instead or at least split the load. "No, truck can't haul that much the trailer will do." I asked him how much his boat weighs. "It's a metal boat (most likely aluminum jon boat) so I know the trailer will hold up to these shingles." We had waiver forms readily available for just such an occasion. He signed, I dropped the pallet on with a fork truck and off he went with his slightly bowed trailer. I don't know how far he got, never saw him again.

Another guy bought enough PT and composite decking to do a pretty big project. Slightly larger trailer, but not enough to do the job, imo. It was heaped full of lumber, tires were bulging, etc. Again, got the waiver, never saw him again.

And finally, I forked a riding mower on to the rear bunks of a trailer once. Not sure how he planned to get it off. Weight wise he was fine, but I can just picture a guy in his back yard with a chain fall, broken tree limb, busted up new mower, peeved wife.

Now I am sure these guys probably got where they were going, but wouldn't be comfortable doing it myself.

We have a mechanic that is certified for state vehicle inspections.  Trailers that are under 16 feet are inspected by those mechanics and not the State Highway Patrol.  

Recently he was telling me about a boat trailer that he was inspecting that the owner had modified into a utility trailer.  Now it will fall under a "homemade" trailer, due to the modifications.  It was an older aluminum john boat style trailer with small tires and a light duty axle.  He said the welds all looked good but the proportions of the trailer were all off.  Everything worked fine including the lights.  It passed inspection and out mechanic asked him what he was planning on hauling on the trailer?     Firewood.  :crazy:

With my old I/O I built a removable deck for my trailer (same scenario - boat on a lift all summer).  Had some 4x4's from an older project and 3/4" plywood that I got from a job (friend of a friend).  It was not a complete deck, but it was a good working surface.  Used ratchet straps to hold it in place.  I could haul mulch, the riding mower, drywall, etc.  When not in use I stood the platform up along the wall in the garage.  Worked pretty well for what I needed.  I'd get some laughs from some of the places I took it too, but mostly a lot of "That's a great idea!".

Over this past winter I built a trailer for a standup jetski to pull with my golf cart & launch it from the sandy beach. At some point it dawned on me to do the same thing with it. I still need to carpet the bunks & build the box, but I think it'll be a piece of cake to do. And will work nicely for hauling the BBQ & beach stuff down to the beach with the cart.

IMG_20160309_090300683_zpsflqtqp2i.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out it's only $35 to rent a 12' x 6' trailer from Uhaul for 24 hours (+$5 cleaning fee they'll try to sneak in on you). I'll just go that route when I need something.