Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Wedge Hooked up to Cigarette Lighter?!?!?!?

The risk of the undersized wire isn't that it won't move the actuator it's that the wire isn't sufficient for the load and will get hot.  In short the risk is fire.

20' of legit marine duplex tin 10awg is like $28 shipped (http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-2-Pacer-Marine-Round-DC-Boat-Cable-Grey-Jacket-Sold-By-The-Foot-/371398442963?hash=item5679127fd3:g:B-wAAOSwNSxVZ2sC&vxp=mtr).  I'm sure you could find 10awg speaker wire or lamp cord for less.  

You are probably right that you could get away with it for the short duration that the actuators throw under normal conditions.  but if the switch gets stuck or gets left on and the actuators continue to spin like this guy's, then that undersized wire could turn into a toaster heating element.  

Duly noted, I'll look at my old wires and look at up sizing them if necessary. It really was a simple run to make so it won't be too painful to repeat.