Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this site dying or is it just that time of the year?

bamabonners

New site sucks. But at least the mobile has improved - still sucks, but less suckage than originally.

The fact that you have to be a paying member to upload photos sucks. I tried the membership when I first signed up, but really there was no value to it. Yes I know it helps support the site, but even then traffic was so low, especially on tech related issues that it felt to be of no value. Any of the member only promo codes are basically worthless because I can get the same product at different vendors for cheaper, without a discount code.

Too many questions are either ignored or given a passing response because they are common questions. Would be nice to actually get an answer if those questions are so common. I do search, I try to find answers before posting, a lot of times a clear THIS IS WHAT WORKED is not available. Sure the question is asked in earlier threads, but often its never answered or confirmed.

That goes back to the photo upload issue. I think you would have more participation if it was easier to upload photos.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

I feel the same way, there's something about this new format that I can't put my finger on exactly that is just not as "inviting" as it used to be, imo.  I've got a post about a power wedge issue that I figured would be resolved in an hour and not one response yet.  

^^^ +1

The format is not ideal but it's not the reason I am not here as much. TMC is all business now. Still a great resource for information and getting your boat questions answered but there is little to no entertainment value left.

7 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I seriously don't understand the complaint about posting photos. At least once a week somebody is complaining about not knowing how to post a photo. It's not complicated people. Sometimes I wonder if it's the first day on the Internet for some of these folks. 

I mean, how hard is it to download the free Photobucket ap and open a free account? Once you have that ap it takes like two clicks to upload a photo from your phone (which is where they all are). From there just paste the code into the forum and the pic magically appears. Seriously, I am a paying member and I have NEVER used the upload tool. Photobucket is too easy and once you have that free account, you now have a virtual database of pics you can post on ANY forum. My Photobucket account is almost 10 years old and has well over 1000 photos now.  You can even set up your photobucket account to automatically upload all your pics (I don't do this).

Boom, this pic took me 2 seconds to paste here!

A979B47A-7FB7-4E74-8E31-95D03D840117_zps

I'm only ranting on this because once again guys are bringing this up as it relates to the new software, as if it's somehow worse. It's not guys. Photobucket links still work... matter of fact it's better now because in the old software you wouldn't see your link turn into a pic until you posted. With the new software the link turns to a pic immediately after you paste it in. 

I'm also bringing this up because I believe posting pics and videos is vital to forum health. Think of the best threads that last the longest... they always have pics and vids (the best thread we have isn't even about boats but it's got hundreds of pages of pics).  Threads without pics die a quick death. People are visual and they like to see stuff more than they like to read stuff. Same goes for CL ads. Whenever I see an ad without pics I think to myself, "I guess that guy doesn't want to sell his widget."

Like the thread linked below... I knew it was DOA the minute I read the OP. 

More pictures, people! More video!  If you're doing a project, take pics and videos and share it. I love following project threads, even about random stuff like garage builds!  Even if you're installing yet another Exile system in a stereo delete boat... share your pics. Just don't do it in the Stereo forum or you'll get flamed ?

nice cooler!!

what brand is it and where did you get it, how much was it??

TIA

its not the inability to add photos, it is not even the crappy software....and i especially hate that i can't find a topic i have read until someone else posts in it...probably just that i am not techy enough to figure it out.

it was said earlier (differently) but i think the reason for decreased activity is the systematic crack down on Type A personalities. Guys that have an opinion on everything and can cause a topic to go on for 100+ pages and cause 1,000's of views are not welcome here, while the protection of 1-10 timers that are offended by words on the internet has gone too far. People who, if they hung around, might see the nuances of a reply and not view a reply as an insult. 

The 1-10 timers that are here for a specific reason/question will continue to come and go. The 1000+ posters are being weeded out, i assume because they are not easy personalities to deal with, but they are fun to hang out with.

but what do i know

10 minutes ago, Chia said:

its not the inability to add photos, it is not even the crappy software....and i especially hate that i can't find a topic i have read until someone else posts in it...probably just that i am not techy enough to figure it out.

it was said earlier (differently) but i think the reason for decreased activity is the systematic crack down on Type A personalities. Guys that have an opinion on everything and can cause a topic to go on for 100+ pages and cause 1,000's of views are not welcome here, while the protection of 1-10 timers that are offended by words on the internet has gone too far. People who, if they hung around, might see the nuances of a reply and not view a reply as an insult. 

The 1-10 timers that are here for a specific reason/question will continue to come and go. The 1000+ posters are being weeded out, i assume because they are not easy personalities to deal with, but they are fun to hang out with.

but what do i know

Agreed!  Debate/discussion is never fun if everyone agrees.  

Just now, Ronnie said:

OK, you're going to have to point out an instance where anyone was called out for being a Type A personality and it wasn't a violation of the TOU's. The TOU's are patterned towards this being a Family site where anyone can sit down and read the forums without having to read through a bunch of Sexual, Political, Degrading, Disrespectful or Religious threads. With all the different personalities here, it's got to be kept on track to keep the peace. These rules were modeled after many different websites where the forums were kept civil. We tried the Hot Topics forum for a while and it was a train wreck for the majority of the members. The ones that liked constant turmoil seemed to like it. I was a big problem managing it.

LOL that's why you have Facebook, so folks can tell the world all their troubles and turmoils and life, and make sure all their friends know how ridiculous they look, especially after a few drinks (IMHO)

Just now, Ronnie said:

:lol:

OK then. PM it to me.

I think the fact that "it" happens behind closed doors is one of the complaints.  You may get a PM that says a thing, but not 20 or 30 that say the same thing.  You may also find that if that thing is posted publicly that many many people agree with that thing even if they don't go to the trouble of PM'ing you over it.

Might be more productive (but also potentially riskier) to have the discussion in public.  Perhaps we can declare a Festivus and have an airing of grievances?

34 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

OK, you're going to have to point out an instance where anyone was called out for being a Type A personality and it wasn't a violation of the TOU's. The TOU's are patterned towards this being a Family site where anyone can sit down and read the forums without having to read through a bunch of Sexual, Political, Degrading, Disrespectful, Profanity laced or Religious threads. With all the different personalities here, it's got to be kept on track to keep the peace. These rules were modeled after many different websites where the forums were kept civil. We tried the Hot Topics forum for a while and it was a train wreck for the majority of the members. The ones that liked constant turmoil seemed to like it. I was a big problem managing it.

like i said, what do i know...it was just an opinion...and i am not prepared to back it up with facts...sorry for having an opinion, it won't happen again.

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

if you can't figure out how to post pics via photobucket in 2016, you probably should just stay on facebook.

If it is an issue for so many and pictures are vital to traffic then it should be addressed (the majority of my likes are for photos so it is vital to the forum and activity). I hadn't used photobucket in years before joining here. No, it's not difficult but it is not as straight forward as other forums where you just upload the pic with a click or two while in the forum. Bouncing back and forth from the photobucket app to safari on my iPhone is a slight pain. You guys need to keep in mind that many people joining are first timers in the forum arena.

The main reason I do not like photobucket is that my employer blocks all of the image links so I cannot see the pictures. I can see them when posted to TMC directly. Kills a lot of the fun right there.

Edited by Josh4mc
  • Like 3

When the new site first launched you could post photos directly, even if you were not a paid member. Bring that back!

2 hours ago, IXFE said:

I seriously don't understand the complaint about posting photos. At least once a week somebody is complaining about not knowing how to post a photo. It's not complicated people. Sometimes I wonder if it's the first day on the Internet for some of these folks. 

I mean, how hard is it to download the free Photobucket ap and open a free account? Once you have that ap it takes like two clicks to upload a photo from your phone (which is where they all are). From there just paste the code into the forum and the pic magically appears. Seriously, I am a paying member and I have NEVER used the upload tool. Photobucket is too easy and once you have that free account, you now have a virtual database of pics you can post on ANY forum. My Photobucket account is almost 10 years old and has well over 1000 photos now.  You can even set up your photobucket account to automatically upload all your pics (I don't do this).

Boom, this pic took me 2 seconds to paste here!

A979B47A-7FB7-4E74-8E31-95D03D840117_zps

I'm only ranting on this because once again guys are bringing this up as it relates to the new software, as if it's somehow worse. It's not guys. Photobucket links still work... matter of fact it's better now because in the old software you wouldn't see your link turn into a pic until you posted. With the new software the link turns to a pic immediately after you paste it in. 

I'm also bringing this up because I believe posting pics and videos is vital to forum health. Think of the best threads that last the longest... they always have pics and vids (the best thread we have isn't even about boats but it's got hundreds of pages of pics).  Threads without pics die a quick death. People are visual and they like to see stuff more than they like to read stuff. Same goes for CL ads. Whenever I see an ad without pics I think to myself, "I guess that guy doesn't want to sell his widget."

Like the thread linked below... I knew it was DOA the minute I read the OP. 

More pictures, people! More video!  If you're doing a project, take pics and videos and share it. I love following project threads, even about random stuff like garage builds!  Even if you're installing yet another Exile system in a stereo delete boat... share your pics. Just don't do it in the Stereo forum or you'll get flamed ?

Does the new Yukon Denali not have the air suspension anymore?  The rear looks like it's squatting more than my 2010 did (maybe it's the picture or the color of the Yukon giving an optical illusion).   When hooking up the boat to my prior 2010, even with the truck off, you would hear the air suspension kick in and level it off.

Just now, DAI said:

Does the new Yukon Denali not have the air suspension anymore?  The rear looks like it's squatting more than my 2010 did (maybe it's the picture or the color of the Yukon giving an optical illusion).   When hooking up the boat to my prior 2010, even with the truck off, you would hear the air suspension kick in and level it off.

Looks level to me, if anything the back is sitting a little higher using the fender tops as a guide.

49 minutes ago, Raimie said:

Wow, your boat makes your truck look small!

Sweet rig!

IXFE knows all the tricks. 

Strategic shaving. Small hands. Etc.

:Tease3:

Edited by RedOwl
5 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Looks level to me, if anything the back is sitting a little higher using the fender tops as a guide.

Maybe it's just my eyes.

I use to frequent this site often. Lots of cool mods and stereo stuff back in the day. Also lots of personalities and bitching as well even some good scolding's from the Mods. Now boats don't need many ballast upgrades, stereo upgrades etc so not as much to write about and many of the characters were ran off by members or mods and I also find the site as user friendly. I don't see the value in paying for a membership so I find myself frequenting wakeword more now. Just my 2 cents, not saying I am right or wrong but that's just the way I view the world. Also as mentioned  above if I want to check out the site on my lunch hour I cant see pictures as many employers block photobucket.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

OK, you're going to have to point out an instance where anyone was called out for being a Type A personality and it wasn't a violation of the TOU's. The TOU's are patterned towards this being a Family site where anyone can sit down and read the forums without having to read through a bunch of Sexual, Political, Degrading, Disrespectful, Profanity laced or Religious threads. With all the different personalities here, it's got to be kept on track to keep the peace. These rules were modeled after many different websites where the forums were kept civil. We tried the Hot Topics forum for a while and it was a train wreck for the majority of the members. The ones that liked constant turmoil seemed to like it. I was a big problem managing it.

On this site the mods really try and get involved and police things, you don't see that on other sites to this extent...in my opinion. Somethimes you just have to let the soldiers battle it our and not micromanage

Edited by old skool malibu
7 minutes ago, old skool malibu said:

Somethimes you just have to let the soldiers battle it our and not micromanage

I'd be all for this exect when we tried this, it didn't stay in that thread. It was rehashed over and over in later threads. They never hugged it out.