Sign in to follow this  
Smiley

Fuel Economy

Smiley

This may seem like a silly question, but my boat seems to be using an insane amount of gas. Maybe we are skiing more than we have in the past, or maybe we are skiing faster. We recently stepped into the big league and installed perfect pass. I ski at 32 mph and my wife skiis at 27. 10 gallons used to last about 2 weeks and now it will not last a weekend. I have moved up from 28 mph through 30 mph and now am stuck at 32. Is it really just the increase in speed? And if so, I am not looking fwd to 34 mph. . .

BlastRlxi

10 Gallons in a weekend doesn't sound bad unless you are spending alot of time floating. If you think that you are using more fuel, maybe it's time for a tune up?

SacRiverRat

Most people track fuel burn based on hrs of run time. Withouth knowing how many hrs the boat is running now, you can't really compare

10gal in 2 weeks sure seems light.

Typical burn rates are ~4-5 gal/hr

MalibuNation
This may seem like a silly question, but my boat seems to be using an insane amount of gas. Maybe we are skiing more than we have in the past, or maybe we are skiing faster. We recently stepped into the big league and installed perfect pass. I ski at 32 mph and my wife skiis at 27. 10 gallons used to last about 2 weeks and now it will not last a weekend. I have moved up from 28 mph through 30 mph and now am stuck at 32. Is it really just the increase in speed? And if so, I am not looking fwd to 34 mph. . .

I go all day long and I go through a lot of gas. Can't put a price on fun.

Hman442

Last week at Shasta = $411.00 worth of gas, but we had more than $411.00 worth of fun.

tgaugh

10 gallons for two weeks means you are not using your boat! For a typical weekend day 10 gallons will not get us to 12:00.

stusumm
10 gallons for two weeks means you are not using your boat! For a typical weekend day 10 gallons will not get us to 12:00.

Yep same here. We usually burn at least 20 gallons per day on the water.

Todd - What's up with the avatar? You gonna buy a black and vapor blue boat with bats all over it?

tgaugh
Todd - What's up with the avatar?

I have seen the light!

stusumm

Todd - What's up with the avatar?

I have seen the light!

:lol:

stewart

That avatar is scary!!!!!!!!!!! Shocking.gif

tgaugh

ok ok ok...I'll change it.

stewart
ok ok ok...I'll change it.

Now that's even scarier! Crazy.gif

j/k :)

stork

We spent five days at powell over the 4th and I tracked fuel use pretty closely. We have a new LSV with Hammerhead and based on hours of engine use, gallons used and miles travelled based on GPS track logs I was able to calculate 5.25 gal/hr, 2.4 mpg. This was with very little ballast use since most were young children with a whole combination of activities. Lots of skiing, wakeboarding, tubing and a whole day of cruising the lake to see the sights. I turn the boat off between rides. It cost a bundle, but was worth every penny.

WakeGirl

We're right about 5gph with our HH, full ballast for surfing & boarding.