Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
waterskier23

Decals or Naked?

Recommended Posts

waterskier23

Looking for some input from the Crew on decals.  I purchased a set of new old stock from Great Lakes Skipper in 2014 that looked awesome, but began to peel in early '15 (i will attribute a large part of that to installer error (me)).

So what should I do now?  Here's a current "naked" view.  Thoughts?

IMG_20160424_173033_zpsfrtgdrcw.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Raimie

Wow, original Vapor! Love it. I would leave it Naked.

Share this post


Link to post
jk13

Does look good naked.

When I bought mine I was nostalgic for the tournament boats with the logos on the sides. Back in the 80s and 90s only the inboards had that, unlike now with the bass boats and runabouts having graphics all over. So I went to my local sign shop and had them make me simple drop shadow logos with no rising sun and matching registration numbers. I'm sure any modern sign shop can print what you had with the shadowing and border no problem.

Here it is with the factory graphics in the shed I bought it out of, and after a wet sand and buff with my dog and in my driveway:

post-12034-125982083587_thumb.jpgpost-12034-125982050266_thumb.jpgpost-12034-0-31101300-1432307920_thumb.jpost-12034-0-71303600-1427558517_thumb.j

 

 

Edited by jk13

Share this post


Link to post
Michigan boarder
10 hours ago, waterskier23 said:

Looking for some input from the Crew on decals.  I purchased a set of new old stock from Great Lakes Skipper in 2014 that looked awesome, but began to peel in early '15 (i will attribute a large part of that to installer error (me)).

So what should I do now?  Here's a current "naked" view.  Thoughts?

IMG_20160424_173033_zpsfrtgdrcw.jpg

Leave it as is.  Leave the little Echelon LX in the back, looks good.

Edit: Put some guide post covers over that PVC, those do make it all look a lot better.

Edited by Michigan boarder

Share this post


Link to post
oldjeep

Looks perfect the way it is.

Share this post


Link to post
isellacuras

I'm not a fan of nekkid boats but I really like the echelons classic lines and gel schemes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Bill_AirJunky

Looks great to me.

Are you being paid to advertise for someone?

Share this post


Link to post
minnmarker

Looks great as is.  Art work.

On the other hand, if you want "Malibu Cred" from the average boater then better put the name on there.

Share this post


Link to post
jk13
11 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Are you being paid to advertise for someone?

Funny enough that is my philosophy everywhere else in life. No tags or logos on vehicles, hats, etc. unless it's my own or a sponsor/partner. 

But those are the boats I grew up in love with and I just wanted that look.:dontknow: All in was about $100 six years ago. And plenty of others have spent many times that on the drip molded stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Bill_AirJunky
3 minutes ago, jk13 said:

Funny enough that is my philosophy everywhere else in life. No tags or logos on vehicles, hats, etc. unless it's my own or a sponsor/partner. 

But those are the boats I grew up in love with and I just wanted that look.:dontknow: All in was about $100 six years ago. And plenty of others have spent many times that on the drip molded stuff.

Yea, I guess I've been disappointed more than a few times by pretentious inboard owners who think their &%$# don't stink.    :Doh:

I'm more impressed by whats happening 80' behind the boat.

Share this post


Link to post
dfarhood
2 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

Leave it as is.  Leave the little Echelon LX in the back, looks good.

Edit: Put some guide post covers over that PVC, those do make it all look a lot better.

The look on the trailer is only important if the boat lives on the trailer full time... I prefer to use mine on the water :Tease3:

Share this post


Link to post
Michigan boarder
3 minutes ago, dfarhood said:

The look on the trailer is only important if the boat lives on the trailer full time... I prefer to use mine on the water :Tease3:

Me too, I didn't know if the OP trailered a lot or not.  I bought a cheap pair from Bakes a few years ago and they have held up well, and my Echy sits on a lift all summer with the trailer tucked away in a pole barn.  But when it is on the trailer, it looks a lot better.

post-8942-0-71627900-1432298095_thumb.jp

Share this post


Link to post
ahopkinsVTX

I'd leave it nekkid. Orrrrrr get some custom colored ones made from DomedNumbers...

Share this post


Link to post
Chia

That's a nice looking boat.

The designers of that boat designed it to look good with whatever is under the gelcoat. The stickers are an add on from another department (marketing?).

Personally, i like the more subtle approach, like Porsche. If you know cars you know its a porsche. If you know boats, you know its a malibu, huge sticker not required.

Share this post


Link to post
Bill_AirJunky
2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I'd leave it nekkid. Orrrrrr get some custom colored ones made from DomedNumbers...

Did that.

IMG_20150901_163917354_zps7b8mel0z.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Sixer

Apparently I'm the outlier on this one, but I like the old-school Malibu decals.  I'd slap the decal with the sun on there if you can get one.

Share this post


Link to post
ConnollyCrew

Nekkid is always more fun!

Share this post


Link to post
waterskier23

Thanks for the feedback, leaning towards keeping in naked for now... any suggestions for a good source for the decals if interested?  DomedNumbers?  Other?  

I also like the suggestions of the guide post covers... where is a good source?  I'm open for small upgrades... this is the same trailer that punished my last summer with needing a new axle.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...