Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
jaciche

Anybody tow with a Ford 6.2 gasser super duty?

Recommended Posts

jaciche

My brother is looking to buy a truck for hauling our current wakesetter, a 23' boat possibly one day, and a 4 place enclosed sled trailer. He wants a truck that will pull these without searching for gears all the time at highway speeds. Let's just assume that we're talking moderate grade hills as we live in WI. He is a big Ford fan, so he was looking at the powerstrokes, but doesn't like the 8k premium for that engine while dealing with the additional costs to maintain a DEF-equipped diesel. His questions for the crew are:

How does the ford 6.2 gasser haul loads in terms of being able to handle the weight under tow?

MPG while towing and just driving around town as well as highway driving?

Any known issues with that engine?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
VLXPilot

2005 - 2007 Ford F250 6.0 could be a good alternative.  $15k for a good clean used one and $5k to bulletproof it.  Tows my 2015 VLX like a dream.  No hunting for gears stays in overdrive 90% of the time.  14mpg towing. 

Share this post


Link to post
powderski14

I've got one and love it.... Tows great.... Can't give accurate mpg because I have mud terrains that don't help mpg 

Share this post


Link to post
jaciche

This is what I initially advised him to do. He wants to buy new so he'll have a warranty to start off with, he really likes to interior of the new fords with the blue backlit gauges, know's that it's in excellent shape, and will hopefully keep it for 15+ years. A biggie is that his thrid garage stall that's long enough to hold a truck has a narrow garage door and he needs power folding mirrors to get this truck into the garage. He's not as mechanically inclined as I am, but willing to learn as things come along. If I want to get a diesel in the future, Ill be looking for a powerstroke 6.0 or LBZ duramax!

2 minutes ago, powderski14 said:

I've got one and love it.... Tows great.... Can't give accurate mpg because I have mud terrains that don't help mpg 

How much weight do you tow with it? Can it hold speed at 70 mph?

Edited by jaciche

Share this post


Link to post
powderski14

I've towed my dads 24 ft enclosed car trailer no problem.... He just bought same truck and drove from Albany ny to Maryland no problem pulling same trailer with his Chevelle inside 

Share this post


Link to post
ilovetrains

Guys who tow campers love the 6.2 gas engine...they claim is sounds awesome under load.

Share this post


Link to post
CumminsBu

Do you Ford fans think they will make a Eco Boost 5.0 or 6.2L. If the 2.7 and 3.5 EB are selling like hot cakes why not?

Share this post


Link to post
powderski14

Would be sweet if they did

Share this post


Link to post
boardjnky4

Isn't that 6.2L basically just a Raptor engine with a Truck camshaft? I imagine it would probably tow very well and a few engine mods would likely help it breathe.

Frankly, I was having the same thought. Get a gasser and build a sort-of Super Duty Raptor over time.

Share this post


Link to post
ConnollyCrew
On 4/27/2016 at 4:39 PM, CumminsBu said:

Do you Ford fans think they will make a Eco Boost 5.0 or 6.2L. If the 2.7 and 3.5 EB are selling like hot cakes why not?

They have one already. 6.7L

Share this post


Link to post
Nitrousbird
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 8:15 AM, boardjnky4 said:

Isn't that 6.2L basically just a Raptor engine with a Truck camshaft? I imagine it would probably tow very well and a few engine mods would likely help it breathe.

Ahh, Ford has sure done a great job marketing that 6.2L as the "Raptor" engine.  That engine is no different than the regular F150 6.2L.  The F250 got the detuned (with different camshaft) version of the motor.  The motor is not special for the Raptor, which is a suspension/appearance package.

Share this post


Link to post
CumminsBu
On April 29, 2016 at 1:40 PM, ConnollyCrew said:

They have one already. 6.7L

It doesn't run very well on gas!

Share this post


Link to post
boardjnky4
On 4/30/2016 at 9:35 AM, Nitrousbird said:

Ahh, Ford has sure done a great job marketing that 6.2L as the "Raptor" engine.  That engine is no different than the regular F150 6.2L.  The F250 got the detuned (with different camshaft) version of the motor.  The motor is not special for the Raptor, which is a suspension/appearance package.

Interesting, I had no idea. I thought that the F-150 V8 was a 5.0 liter.

 

edit: I just tried to "build" a F-150 on the Ford site and there is no 6.2l available. Just the 5.0 Coyote engine. You have to choose F-250 in order to see the 6.2 gasser.

Edited by boardjnky4

Share this post


Link to post
powderski14

The king ranch or platinum 150s can be ordered with the 6.2 if I remember correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Nitrousbird
10 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

Interesting, I had no idea. I thought that the F-150 V8 was a 5.0 liter.

 

edit: I just tried to "build" a F-150 on the Ford site and there is no 6.2l available. Just the 5.0 Coyote engine. You have to choose F-250 in order to see the 6.2 gasser.

There is no Raptor either. If mentioning the Raptor then you automatically go to the previous generation. Upcoming Raptor will be an Ecoboost. 

Share this post


Link to post
boardjnky4
1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

There is no Raptor either. If mentioning the Raptor then you automatically go to the previous generation. Upcoming Raptor will be an Ecoboost. 

Oh I see. So you're saying that the previous generation F-150 V8 was the 6.2l. Got it.

And the raptor was a slightly tuned version of that engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Nitrousbird
7 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

Oh I see. So you're saying that the previous generation F-150 V8 was the 6.2l. Got it.

And the raptor was a slightly tuned version of that engine.

No, it was NOT a slightly tuned version.  Same 6.2L that was in other, non-Raptor F150's. Which means it wasn't the "Raptor" motor but rather just the Ford "Boss" 6.2L. Again, exactly the same. Not tuned any differently.  The whole Raptor crap on the Indmar motors is just marketing BS.  Raptor is a suspension and appearance package.

Share this post


Link to post
boardjnky4
9 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

No, it was NOT a slightly tuned version.  Same 6.2L that was in other, non-Raptor F150's. Which means it wasn't the "Raptor" motor but rather just the Ford "Boss" 6.2L. Again, exactly the same. Not tuned any differently.  The whole Raptor crap on the Indmar motors is just marketing BS.  Raptor is a suspension and appearance package.

got it

 

just found this too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_engine . Interesting stuff, I had no idea what all packages and engines have been available. It's all super convoluted, but when it comes down to it theres only a few different options.

Share this post


Link to post
rennis
On 5/1/2016 at 7:59 AM, powderski14 said:

The king ranch or platinum 150s can be ordered with the 6.2 if I remember correctly.

not in the current gen F150s.  Only V8 option is the Coyote.  Otherwise you get EgoBoost.

Share this post


Link to post
RyanB

With towing that little weight, why not go with an F150?  

 

And to answer the question, CAFE will likely prevent there from ever being a V8 EcoBoost.  That engine would likely get lower MPG than the old 6.8 V10.

Share this post


Link to post
Tims
On May 2, 2016 at 10:38 PM, Nitrousbird said:

 

 

On April 30, 2016 at 9:35 AM, Nitrousbird said:

Ahh, Ford has sure done a great job marketing that 6.2L as the "Raptor" engine.  That engine is no different than the regular F150 6.2L.  The F250 got the detuned (with different camshaft) version of the motor.  The motor is not special for the Raptor, which is a suspension/appearance package.

 

I'm not sure Ford can take the credit for that. I think Indmar was the one who went crazy with the marketing.

 

The Boss 6.2 made it's debut and was available exclusively in the Raptor for years before it was offered in the F150 or even Superduty so technically it is the "Raptor" engine. Just as appropriate as folks saying they have a "Corvette" engine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Nitrousbird
11 minutes ago, Tims said:
11 minutes ago, Tims said:
11 minutes ago, Tims said:

 

 

I'm not sure Ford can take the credit for that. I think Indmar was the one who went crazy with the marketing.

 

The Boss 6.2 made it's debut and was available exclusively in the Raptor for years before it was offered in the F150 or even Superduty so technically it is the "Raptor" engine. Just as appropriate as folks saying they have a "Corvette" engine. 

 

I'm not sure Ford can take the credit for that. I think Indmar was the one who went crazy with the marketing.

 

The Boss 6.2 made it's debut and was available exclusively in the Raptor for years before it was offered in the F150 or even Superduty so technically it is the "Raptor" engine. Just as appropriate as folks saying they have a "Corvette" engine. 

 

I'm not sure Ford can take the credit for that. I think Indmar was the one who went crazy with the marketing.

 

The Boss 6.2 made it's debut and was available exclusively in the Raptor for years before it was offered in the F150 or even Superduty so technically it is the "Raptor" engine. Just as appropriate as folks saying they have a "Corvette" engine. 

By "years" you mean a single year where it was the optional engine on the extended cab Raptor. 

With the Corvette motor, for many years, it at least had some minor differences in the motor vs what was put in the F-body, GTO, and other cars.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...