Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SurfBand Retro for 2015

WakesurfOhio

Great News.. the Surfband retro fit for 2015's is in.  Ours is being installed today!  Make sure that during the install your dealer updates the Firmware and located the RF dongle toward the rear of the boat for better reception.

HAPPY SURFING!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, WakesurfOhio said:

Great News.. the Surfband retro fit for 2015's is in.  Ours is being installed today!  Make sure that during the install your dealer updates the Firmware and located the RF dongle toward the rear of the boat for better reception.

HAPPY SURFING!

If you dont mind me asking, how much was the total cost?

^+1.  Where in Ohio are you/what dealer is handling this for you? 

I wonder if it's something that can be added to an Axis? Not sure I feel I need it but if it's decently priced it might be a good upgrade to play with.

I'm not sure if $750 justifys it for me...as much as I really like the concept.  Has anyone used one yet? I thought I read a few posts about it not working 100%?  There were some signal issues?

1 hour ago, Fman said:

I'm not sure if $750 justifys it for me...as much as I really like the concept.  Has anyone used one yet? I thought I read a few posts about it not working 100%?  There were some signal issues?

I have it on my VLX, and it is a really cool toy when it works.  It is very unreliable for surfgate switches when the sensor is in the original location (under the dash), and completely useless for wedge and speed changes, but with the sensor mounted in the back supposedly it will work as intended.  If the sensor move makes the surfgate switch reliable and the speed and wedge controls work like they are supposed to, it would be well worth the price of the upgrade. 

• Like 3

I worked it into the deal of my new 2015 with 45 minutes.  The retro places the rf dongle just behind the engine and let's even a wakeboarder take control.  The range is rediculous."!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Just installed mine today. Took 5 minutes. Super simple. Included harness that interrupts surfgate plug just above transmission near engine. Then a ground terminal which I grounded to engine block. The actual receiver dongle plugs into other end of harness which I routed around starboard side and zipped tied against center of rear transom. Harness stays in rear of boat. Nothing comes back up to helm. Tested all buttons and they work great even from 20ft from boat. Water test Thursday afternoon or this weekend. Was less than $600. 

35 minutes ago, bunji169 said:

Just installed mine today. Took 5 minutes. Super simple. Included harness that interrupts surfgate plug just above transmission near engine. Then a ground terminal which I grounded to engine block. The actual receiver dongle plugs into other end of harness which I routed around starboard side and zipped tied against center of rear transom. Harness stays in rear of boat. Nothing comes back up to helm. Tested all buttons and they work great even from 20ft from boat. Water test Thursday afternoon or this weekend. Was less than $600. 

I got my retrokit last week.  I'll probably install tonight.  It comes with instructions and as Bunji said it looks to be a super easy install.  One note, Bunji you said you installed it "against center of rear transom."  The instructions say to install it against the transom outside of the engine bay.  Note sure if it make much difference.  

The last two nights I swapped out my 2015 LED transom lights for the brighter 2016 versions.  Pretty easy swap, though more work than the surfband looks to be (based upon my reading of the included instructions).  The 2015 transom LED lights consume 1.15 Amps where as the 2016 LED transom lights burn 2.0 Amps (I personally tested both).  They are brighter, but its not a massive difference.  The 300% brighter advertising may be miss leading.  I think our eyes react to light on a logarithmic scale, which means 300% more lumins may not actually appear to be that much different.   

1 hour ago, bunji169 said:

Interesting that it was less than $600; I paid more...

From AWS in Oregon. And they had it in stock so I got it in two days.

I mounted it between transom and cup holders in the middle of the two rear transom seats.  It's just zip tied in place so I can move it once I'm on water if it has any signal issues  

Edited by bunji169

Hmmm, wondering if I need to be the test dummy to see if this works on an Axis. Obviously the power wedge feature wouldn't but surfgate and speed control also may be worth it. I can't count the number of times I get or give a thumbs up or down from rider to driver to speed up or slow down slightly for whatever reason. If the rider could just do it that would be awesome. 

1 minute ago, That Guy said:

Hmmm, wondering if I need to be the test dummy to see if this works on an Axis. Obviously the power wedge feature wouldn't but surfgate and speed control also may be worth it. I can't count the number of times I get or give a thumbs up or down from rider to driver to speed up or slow down slightly for whatever reason. If the rider could just do it that would be awesome. 

Highly doubt it will (sorry).  It requires a software update to the 2015 MY boats.  In fact, it's a very specific software update just for MY 2015 boats (different from MY 2016 boats).

3 hours ago, Cory said:

Highly doubt it will (sorry).  It requires a software update to the 2015 MY boats.  In fact, it's a very specific software update just for MY 2015 boats (different from MY 2016 boats).

1 hour ago, bunji169 said:

Axis doesn't have maliview. Very basic with physical toggle switch to activate gate switch. There would be no way to integrate the Malibu SurfBand. 

Good info. Thanks guys. I guess I missed that info above as I just read the part about plugging inline w/ the surfgate actuators and figured it controlled it there somehow.  Oh wells....back to the tried and true method of hand signals! :)

I've only played with the surfband in the garage, but I think it was a design mistake to allow a press and hold of the speed button to result in more than a single 0.1 mph change.  Rather a press and hold will result in a rapid increase or decrease in the speed.  I wonder what happens to the power wedge.  Changing sides may be the best use.

13 hours ago, That Guy said:

It will not work on an Axis unfortunately.

Just got my kit yesterday; I'll update this post with a picture of what's in the box. It's a simple install and simple kit, the most difficult part is updating the firmware (but that's more nerve-wracking in case you get it wrong).

Tested last weekend. Worked perfect. I like the speed adjust. As mentioned before, just push one click at a time. Makes it easy to fine tune wave without yelling at driver. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've got everything for the surf band wiring harness installed, but I have one challenge: the ground wire. Does anyone know where the ground wire is supposed to go? I know I could just ground it anywhere, but I'd like to get it as close to the factory install as possible. If you can share a picture of where you put the ground wire, I'd appreciate it.

It goes on the port side main ground on the engine,  transmission side. I was have trouble too.  I was plugging the surf gate into the wrong plug back by the swim platform.  I couldn't find the surf gate plug.  It was between the transmission and engine.  Once I found that plug the ground wire made sense.   This is on the Ls3, but they should all be the same.

Sorry no picture, I'm not by my boat.

5 hours ago, Excel516 said:

It goes on the port side main ground on the engine,  transmission side. I was have trouble too.  I was plugging the surf gate into the wrong plug back by the swim platform.  I couldn't find the surf gate plug.  It was between the transmission and engine.  Once I found that plug the ground wire made sense.   This is on the Ls3, but they should all be the same.

Sorry no picture, I'm not by my boat.

Thank you! That was it. I just wasn't looking hard enough for the ground wires, everything is in black looming so it all looked the same at first glance.