Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Houseboat Stereo Input, AC vs DC Power, Zoning, Bluetooth, etc

NorrisMike

Just bought our first houseboat and figuring out how everything works still.... One of the things we want to address is the stereo.  Not a bad setup currently but needs bluetooth capabilities, more speakers, etc.

It has 2 stereos currently and I need to look and see how they are all connected before we change things around.  There are dual battery banks on each engine and a single on the 15kw generator, 3000 watt inverter system with 6 deep cycle batteries, generator, and AC power from shore...  Again, still learning the functionality of all this and the way things are wired. 

Stereo System #1 is 12v.  It's head unit is a car audio style and is tied into a 7 zone selector switch.  The zones are tied into various areas of the boat.. front porch, back porch, flybridge, galley, bedrooms, etc. I think each zone has 2 marine 6.5's. Not sure but I'm pretty sure this is all powered from the headunit alone and connected to one of the engine battery banks. No Bluetooth here.

Stereo System #2 is AC powered by a Denon receiver.  It's an older model with good power but lack of zoning capabilities.  It has just A or B speaker selections.  It powers the family room 5.1 surround system and also the roof party top speakers.  I connected a Miccus bluetooth adapter to it and can use my phone all over the boat to control volume and song selection to whatever speakers are selected at the receiver (A or B).  I also need to see exactly how this is wired but I assume and hope its tied into the inverter system.

Option 1 - leave it how it is and try and find a capable bluetooth adapter for Stereo #1 12v system.  Manually switch the zones in the family room when moving to different location on boat.  Consider upgrading the speakers and adding an amp or sub somewhere.  

I can think of a bunch of other options too but looking for input from folks with experience.  

Also,  the party top on the roof currently has 2 old crummy outdoor speakers.  I'd like to get 4 new ones.  Lots of options out there.  I do have one set of Bose 151's I could use and just buy another pair.  If there is something much nicer, let me know.  I have looked at the offerings at partsexpress, sonic electronix and HTD.com

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_80771_Kicker-KB6000-White-2-Pairs-4-Pack.html

https://www.parts-express.com/promo/outdoor_speakers

http://www.htd.com/Products/Outdoor-Speakers

Another thought I just had.  Split the RCA's coming off the Miccus bluetooth and run it to both stereos.  Any reason that won't work?  Still just manually change the zones but have controls on the phone. 

6.5" recessed speakers on the rear patio

image_zpstyxqykyz.jpeg

You can see the party top speakers below. They swivel which is nice.  Can point them backwards when in the hot tub or rear deck.

image_zpsqbg2iyqt.jpeg

We will add another pair to the front of the party top facing rearward.  There are a pair at the helm at the flybridge controlled by the 12v zoned system.

image_zpsir10gbzl.jpeg

I will post a few more in the recent purchase thread 

Congratulations on the new boat!!

Going through the same thing on our houseboat. Although (from the sound of it)ours is probably a roach compared to yours.

The problem I am having is the HU does not have an aux in on the back for a bluetooth. You might need to check that.

So I am trying to decide about new EQ or new HU. Waiting to see what you come up with

And the sub makes a huge difference.

• Like 2

Wow!  That's a big one for a first houseboat!  For any houseboat.  How big a group will you have sleeping on it?

Many years ago I drove my folk's 50 footer on the river.  Some interesting times with cross winds...  Working those twin screws is a different game.

Enjoy!

10 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

Congratulations on the new boat!!

Going through the same thing on our houseboat. Although (from the sound of it)ours is probably a roach compared to yours.

The problem I am having is the HU does not have an aux in on the back for a bluetooth. You might need to check that.

So I am trying to decide about new EQ or new HU. Waiting to see what you come up with

And the sub makes a huge difference.

I definitely will check that.  I too would probably go with an EQ instead if the headunit won't accept the bluetooth.  I was pounding the surround system pretty good.  It was rocking the boat with that little sub! 

9 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Wow!  That's a big one for a first houseboat!  For any houseboat.  How big a group will you have sleeping on it?

Many years ago I drove my folk's 50 footer on the river.  Some interesting times with cross winds...  Working those twin screws is a different game.

Enjoy!

Yes the learning curve will be great... twin screw and also stern thruster to help but from what I hear you need to be very mindful of the weather and wind.  I posted a little more info in the recent purchase topic to keep this stereo related :)

7 hours ago, NorrisMike said:

6.5" recessed speakers on the rear patio

image_zpstyxqykyz.jpeg

You can see the party top speakers below. They swivel which is nice.  Can point them backwards when in the hot tub or rear deck.

image_zpsqbg2iyqt.jpeg

We will add another pair to the front of the party top facing rearward.  There are a pair at the helm at the flybridge controlled by the 12v zoned system.

image_zpsir10gbzl.jpeg

I will post a few more in the recent purchase thread 

Oh now I see why you were asking about that amp last week. Can't wait to see it in person. Can I arrive about 3 days early?

Edited by dalt1

The outdoor speaker search is snowballing... PSB, Def Tech, BA, Klipsch.... Like anything, the sky is the limit!  

Really need to figure out the functionality. Is it too much to ask for an app on my phone to control all the zones wirelessly AND be able to control volume and song selection??? I haven't dove in head first with this yet but zone receiver price is a bit crazy. Has to be an easier way. 

you mean you want to be able to switch between your seven zones from your phone?  That's gonna be expensive / complicated.

I would consider getting two of these: http://www.amazon.com/SABRENT-Receiver-Portable-Speakers-WF-RADU/dp/B00L26YDA4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1459274726&sr=8-3&keywords=airplay+receiver (buy the 12.99 used ones).  Via airplay you can control the song and the volume.  You will need to add a powerful router, though, to give you enough range to cover that whole giant vessel!  I am using one of these at home, connected to a receiver in my server closet, which plays to my patio speakers.  I can control the song from anywhere in the house or backyard (anywhere I can connect to one of my three main home wifi routers).

Install a wireless router on the houseboat, then connect the sabrent devices via wifi to the router.  Obviously connect your phone to the router too.  Once you are connected to the wifi network the airplay devices automatically pop up.  Probably want to put the router on a different subnet from your phone so you can still stream via cell network?

Connect one sabrent device to your denon receiver, connect the other to your car stereo.  

Here's an example where a guy set up a six room airplay array, but it looks like he also had a multiroom amp, which I think you want to avoid?  

http://blog.inwallstore.com/apple-airplay-multi-room-setup-6-zones/

It seems there is a gap between controlling different audio zones and selecting songs and volume... All the tech is there but there aren't any reasonably priced "bundled" receivers. Sonos seems sweet but a separate receiver for every zone adds up quick. 

Id say in time there will be a Sonos type of receiver with capabilities of connecting 10 zones wirelessly... Without costing thousands of dollars or having to rig parts together like in that blog. 

A friend of ours can play a different song in each room at different volumes AND control it all from an app on her phone or computer. This all thru multiple Sonos receivers and AirPlay. A nice system but not cheap. 

I want it all. I want it now. And I want it for $600 or less.... Hahaha

don't forget the obvious for those of us that use iOS devices: airport express (refurb) for $49

in the music app on your phone or tablet you can select which device(s) you want to stream to, you just need powered speakers; the airport express has a 3.5mm stereo jack on the back...

1 minute ago, mikeo said:

don't forget the obvious for those of us that use iOS devices: airport express (refurb) for $49

in the music app on your phone or tablet you can select which device(s) you want to stream to, you just need powered speakers; the airport express has a 3.5mm stereo jack on the back...

That sabrent device I linked does same thin for $12.99. 

Stumbled on this 

I'm running this on the receiver now and it seems to work great. What's the difference between it and the other options you guys linked? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00713RSE0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1459302900&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=miccus&dpPl=1&dpID=41DyT2r1DKL&ref=plSrch

shawn I saw that receiver too. It may be the direction I go. Part of me wants to swap it all over to 12v because I'm more familiar with it... I could buy some nice amps  and run tower speakers on the party top, hide a sub or two and run the whole thing off a Bluetooth connector hooked to a clarion eq.. Keep the manual zone switch too. Just run the surround off the receiver.

so the ones I was linking to (sabrent) and the one mikeo suggested (airport express) use airplay instead of bluetooth.  there are two advantages.  First, you have the possibility*** to stream to two of them from the same device at the same time.  Second, they aren't compressing everything like bluetooth, so you (arguably) have the potential for a better signal.  Third (I know, I said only two advantages), if the airplay device is on your wifi network, and your phone is also on that network, you can stream over the network.  This can mean more/better range with a powerful router (you rely on a router to give you connectivity rather than the individual device, if that makes sense).  

*** need a paid app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/multiroom-music-radio-player/id663776918?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

The airplay suggestion works really well with apple devices.  Not sure about android (don't have one)?

I have that miccus receiver and it has crazy range for BT, and it sounds good too.  It runs off of usb power so that's easy enough to get going from 12v.  It would be a viable option (but I don't think you can ever stream to more than one BT device at a time from your phone, and you mentioned controlling multiple zones at the same time from your device on the cheap).

Bought a Sabrent to try. 

Any idea how some of these home outdoor speakers sound compared to tower speakers? When looking at some of the high end they're getting upwards of $600/pair for 6.5" drivers. 

On March 29, 2016 at 2:13 PM, shawndoggy said:

you mean you want to be able to switch between your seven zones from your phone?  That's gonna be expensive / complicated.

I would consider getting two of these: http://www.amazon.com/SABRENT-Receiver-Portable-Speakers-WF-RADU/dp/B00L26YDA4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1459274726&sr=8-3&keywords=airplay+receiver (buy the 12.99 used ones).  Via airplay you can control the song and the volume.  You will need to add a powerful router, though, to give you enough range to cover that whole giant vessel!  I am using one of these at home, connected to a receiver in my server closet, which plays to my patio speakers.  I can control the song from anywhere in the house or backyard (anywhere I can connect to one of my three main home wifi routers).

Install a wireless router on the houseboat, then connect the sabrent devices via wifi to the router.  Obviously connect your phone to the router too.  Once you are connected to the wifi network the airplay devices automatically pop up.  Probably want to put the router on a different subnet from your phone so you can still stream via cell network?

Connect one sabrent device to your denon receiver, connect the other to your car stereo.  

Here's an example where a guy set up a six room airplay array, but it looks like he also had a multiroom amp, which I think you want to avoid?  

http://blog.inwallstore.com/apple-airplay-multi-room-setup-6-zones/

I got the Sabrent but cannot connect because it's asking for a password!!!! Bah!!! The pass isn't in the manual either. Maybe that's what happens when you buy used...

try e-mailing sabrent customer service?  I was having an issue with mine when I first got it and they were helpful with a firmware issue.  you are right tho, seems like there's no manual reset? ugh.

EDIT dumb Q but where are you on the login screen?  Could it be that the password the device is asking you for is your wifi network's password?

DOUBLE EDIT: are you trying to set it up via your computer or just trying to connect via your phone?

TRIPLE EDIT: If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest logging into the device via your computer @ 192.168.168.1 (or whatever your computer's wifi settings says its gateway settings are). 

QUADRUPLE EDIT: the amazon questions suggest that there is a hole to stick a paperclip into to do a hard reset?

Got it!  The paperclip reset did the trick.  I was just trying to test it in the car.  Playing audio from my phone.  Works as it should!  Thanks Shawn