Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Too good to be true- a VTX story

asp13

I have been on the hunt for a boat for many years. I have had a lot of experience with boats my whole life, but have always wanted to own one. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago and I see this ad pop up in Calgary trader. http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Malibu/vtx/CALGARY/Alberta/19_9217229_/?ms=boats&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=1_15_4

Right away something in the back of my mind said "this is too good to be true", that price for a VTX (which I want since I slalom but also want to surf and board) let alone in Canadian is more than a steal seeing as similar boats of the same year are going for more than double that . But I proceeded with excitement and shot off a few emails. Today I finally hear back. The boat was advertised to be in Calgary, but the owner got back to me saying the boat was at a warehouse in St Johns (other side of the country) as he had moved back to Germany. Total scam.

I had gotten pretty excited with the possibility of owning at boat at 30 years of age, but I will just have to save up a bit more an wait for a real boat to come though. Oh Well. 

Edited by asp13

I don't know guys. This looks legit to me. I'll bet the sellers friend, the Prince of Zaire, will even pay for the boat for you. He'll just need your checking account number and online banking password. I'd go for it.

Did this guy tell you the boats at shipping company already and that delivery wouldnt be an issue. I believe the same scammer had an 2007 Silver edition VLX for sale a while back. However, hes amended his story a bit as i believe he was in the UK last time haha

Yeah "its stored somewhere and you deal with them for payment etc"
I was surprised it was only posted as being in Calgary, and not on other auto trader cities as well.