Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Toyota Land Cruiser (New)

Tims

Been looking at SUV's and I keep coming back to the Toyota Land Cruiser. I know they are pretty pricey and get relatively poor mileage but I am intrigued with the build quality and 4x4 system. Apparently they are built around a "25 year service life" with unique parts on a separate assembly line in Japan. Does anyone have any experience with the modern version of the 200 platform? I like the Yukon Denali as well, but they are not too far behind in price. 

Do people still buy these things?  I never see them around and I see pricey SUV's around pretty often.  Isn't there a Lexus version that's nicer for similar money?  There was years ago but I haven't kept up on it.

24 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Do people still buy these things?  I never see them around and I see pricey SUV's around pretty often.  Isn't there a Lexus version that's nicer for similar money?  There was years ago but I haven't kept up on it.

Your first question sounds rhetorical, but ok. Yes, roughly 3000 people a year in the US buy them. There is a Lexus version available for an additional $12,000. 

5 minutes ago, Tims said:

Your first question sounds rhetorical, but ok. Yes, roughly 3000 people a year in the US buy them. There is a Lexus version available for an additional $12,000. 

I did a quick look on the Toyota and Lexus websites.  MSRP they are a 5k different, not 12k, and you get a lot for that extra 5k with the Lexus.  Obviously if one comes off MSRP more than the other comes sales time that makes a difference, or if resale is better on one than the other. 

I owned the last style LX 460 and it was my favorite vehicle I've owned. 200k with not one repair, just normal wear and tear. The new models fit and finish as well as the quality of materials are some of the best in the industry.

I have been looking again at them and your question had me look at specs between the Land Cruiser (8100) and the LX570 (7000). I didn't realize this the towing capabilities vary significantly between the two. I wonder why they don't use the same ratio on both since it doesn't seem to change gas mileage.

Also, one of the biggest draw back is the 3rd row seats don't stow way.

http://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/compare/summary/41407/41631/41813/39861

Edited by Socalbu
9 hours ago, Tims said:

Been looking at SUV's and I keep coming back to the Toyota Land Cruiser. I know they are pretty pricey and get relatively poor mileage but I am intrigued with the build quality and 4x4 system. Apparently they are built around a "25 year service life" with unique parts on a separate assembly line in Japan. Does anyone have any experience with the modern version of the 200 platform? I like the Yukon Denali as well, but they are not too far behind in price. 

I have a 2004 sequoia,  107k miles on it.  Have been towing for seven years with it, all I do is basic maintenance.  Imo, you can't go wrong with a Toyota.  I drive my vehicles into the ground, and every year I say I am waiting for something to go wrong with my sequoia and it just keeps on chugging along.  Will keep this thing until wheels falls off.  A Co worker has same year sequoia with 276k miles on it and still going strong.

You might consider looking at a new sequoia over the land cruiser to save a few bucks.  The new sequoia is pretty sick.

6 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I did a quick look on the Toyota and Lexus websites.  MSRP they are a 5k different, not 12k, and you get a lot for that extra 5k with the Lexus.  Obviously if one comes off MSRP more than the other comes sales time that makes a difference, or if resale is better on one than the other. 

For sure I should explore the Lexus a bit more to see which one will come off price. They had one at the local dealership, but it was listed at $94K so I just quit looking. The Lexus can be optioned up or down but the Toyota comes standard with all options. The Cruiser comes with more off road capabilities while the Lexus has a nicer trim out. Resale on the Toyota seems to stay pretty high.  

4 hours ago, Socalbu said:

I owned the last style LX 460 and it was my favorite vehicle I've owned. 200k with not one repair, just normal wear and tear. The new models fit and finish as well as the quality of materials are some of the best in the industry.

I have been looking again at them and your question had me look at specs between the Land Cruiser (8100) and the LX570 (7000). I didn't realize this the towing capabilities vary significantly between the two. I wonder why they don't use the same ratio on both since it doesn't seem to change gas mileage.

Also, one of the biggest draw back is the 3rd row seats don't stow way.

http://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/compare/summary/41407/41631/41813/39861

My friend has a 2002 Land Cruiser and he is currently at 320K miles. After 13 years and all those miles he has replaced one clutch fan. I am really impressed how the electronics have held up.

Just closing the doors on it you can tell these things are built like tanks. Even the exhaust system is designed and built with thicker gauge stainless. 

47 minutes ago, Fman said:

I have a 2004 sequoia,  107k miles on it.  Have been towing for seven years with it, all I do is basic maintenance.  Imo, you can't go wrong with a Toyota.  I drive my vehicles into the ground, and every year I say I am waiting for something to go wrong with my sequoia and it just keeps on chugging along.  Will keep this thing until wheels falls off.  A Co worker has same year sequoia with 276k miles on it and still going strong.

You might consider looking at a new sequoia over the land cruiser to save a few bucks.  The new sequoia is pretty sick.

Honestly, I think the Land Cruiser might be an answer to a question that no one asked.

I like the sequoia as well, but perhaps just a tad too family truckster for me. I will look again at them as well. 

Edited by Tims

The Land Cruiser can not really be compared to other Toyota vehicles. As the OP stated, these things are built with a 25yr service life. There's a reason why you see most UN vehicles are LC. They do not share much beyond drive train with other Toyotas, hence their high price tag. We only get the upper end models here in the US, hence the higher price tag. Personally, I think they are a little dated looking, but for the price you pay for large SUVs these days, its a pretty good deal for what you get.

Friend of mine has one 220k on it, but it is an '06. Never a lick of trouble.

7 hours ago, saxton15 said:

How's the fuel mileage on the 5.7 Iforce?

I'm sure it's similar to what you get with that drivetrain in the Tundra or Sequoia - 13 city, 18 hwy.    

Yes that's what Toyota reports.  In our 4.7, it was rated 13/17.  The only way to have seen 17 was to go about 50, downhill.  One trip that we had to get after it we got 13.  On the HIGHWAY.  

4 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Yes that's what Toyota reports.  In our 4.7, it was rated 13/17.  The only way to have seen 17 was to go about 50, downhill.  One trip that we had to get after it we got 13.  On the HIGHWAY.  

That's pretty bad highway mileage for sure.  The 5.7 with the new 8 speed transmission must help. The TFL truck guys got 19.1 on their 100 mile loop testing the 2016 Land Cruiser. 

Best MPG I've ever seen in my Tundra (2010 Double Cab 4x4 5.7) was 18.6 MPG all freeway driving at around 70mph with 2 passengers, maybe 200lbs of gear, and tonneau cover on. Even though it's only rated for 18MPG freeway I'm chalking it up to the tonneau cover...?

Edited by jetskipro550

I have the Lexus GX 460, which is a step below the LX 570.  One reason I liked the 460 was the rear seats fold down into the back end, and not up onto the sides like the 570 and the Land Cruiser.  Well........that.......and the price difference.  :)  My towing capacity is 6500#, and living in MN I average overall about 17.5 mpg (more in summer, less in winter).  Granted I don't tow the boat a ton, but when I do it gets around 12 mpg.  Tows like a dream.  

I definitely keep my eye out for Land Cruisers in the area.  There aren't many of them around which makes me appreciate them more, and they are solid as a tank.  I work with a guy who has one (I think it's like a 2005?).  He's changed fluids as scheduled, and replaced tires, that's about it.  Used ones come up here and there every once in a while, and they go quickly.  They definitely hold their value well too.  

6 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Land Cruiser is no doubt special.  I kind of think of it as a "sleeper".  Some will appreciate it, most won't, but if you're in the group that does, it's tough to beat.  

The one's that will appreciate it are the one's  that are familiar with it.

DUDE!  I love it!  That thing is going to last you forever!  Congrats.  One thing I really like about them is they have/do everything.  I bet you're pumped to pull the boat around now!  :clap: