Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast wiring

JAGMAN

I was poking around my '05 v-ride today and was looking to see how much work it would be to add stern and bow ballast (have already ordered the Fat sacs). Under the left and right gunwale's in the forward half of rear lockers I found some unused wires that looked as if they were meant for the L/R stern drain pumps. Then right near the v-drive I found two more wires that looked as if they were for a fill pump.

I looked around in the bow area, but didn't find ballast wiring. I did however find wires on the left and right sides in the area where the docking lights would be.

My question is the boat "prewired for stern and bow ballast?" And if the wires I found are as I described where are the rest of the wires that I am missing? This info would really make this install easy...

Thanks for you help. BTW I already have the MLS Midship ballast and wedge.

Edited by jaguimond
I was poking around my '05 v-ride today and was looking to see how much work it would be to add stern and bow ballast (have already ordered the Fat sacs). Under the left and right gunwale's in the forward half of rear lockers I found some unused wires that looked as if they were meant for the L/R stern drain pumps. Then right near the v-drive I found two more wires that looked as if they were for a fill pump.

I looked around in the bow area, but didn't find ballast wiring. I did however find wires on the left and right sides in the area where the docking lights would be.

My question is the boat "prewired for stern and bow ballast?" And if the wires I found are as I described where are the rest of the wires that I am missing? This info would really make this install easy...

Thanks for you help. BTW I already have the MLS Midship ballast and wedge.

The wires found near the v-drive are speaker wires. One pair on either side of the v-drive in wire loom. If the wires you found in the lockers were towards the front of them I would bet to say they are for you ballast tanks. Other than that I don't have a clue.

The ballast wires are usually a paired black and red or a paired black and brown - if thats any help

The unused wires I've found have all been brown and black. Do boats with factory rear ballast have one fill pump that does both sides or do they have two pumps, one per side. I know that they have independent drain pumps. Thanks...

One fill pump for each side of the rear ballast and one drain pump for each side of the rear ballast. Total of 4 ballast pumps for the rear.

And I have one fill and one drain for the ballast in the ski locker.

This is basic stock for a 2003 WS LSV

The wires on either side of the v-drive are the ballast pump wires. I installed pumps this past winter and those were the wires I used, the drain pump wires are in the back lockers zip tied up to the wire loom.

Edited by Shanesj