Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help Picking out first Wakeboard...

spinxt

First off, I am a slalom skier at heart withe tendency to barefoot on occasion. As of late, I've been getting a bug to try wakeboarding. My RLX has the wedge so, although not a hardcore WB boat, I think it will be fine for mine (and my family's needs). Question: What is a good wakeboard for me? I tend to pick watersports up fairly quickly,so I'd prefer to stay away from "beginner" boards that will hinder my ability down the road. That said, I also am not planning on going inverted right away. I'd like to try and stay in the $250-$300 range. Any suggestions?

Chris

The Hyperlite Motive is a good choice. Easy to ride and you won't grow out of it. One of the pros still rides it.

Check out Pistol Pete's discount code for Buywake.com on another thread here.

I just bought the board with bindings and a helmet for my daughter for under $300 shipped. Smokin' deal!

THANKS PETE!

I agree. The Motive is a great board to start with and is also good for more advanced tricks. It was the board that I started with and I still ride it on occasion.

I might get flammed for this but I think that if you pick up new things pretty easily, then you should just buy the most "high performance" board you can afford. We have a "beginner board" and a parks board and have had great success with newbies getting up on both. The parks (which is more advanced) is a little more unstable at first but I think people who ride it progress quicker then those on the beginner board.

I always buy stuff and then wish I would have gone bigger. Alot of the time I am either too cheap or just uneducated when it comes to buying stuff and I end up selling it to buy something bigger or better...thats why I say get a more advanced board :)

Will your dealer let you demo?

although not a hardcore WB boat, I think it will be fine for mine

Be careful what you say. Fingerwag.gif I used to be slalom only and once we started wakeboarding.....well, lets just say it hooks you pretty hard. Now my cfo gives me crap about buying a DD like I wanted instead of a vdrive like she wanted. Mad.gif

For what it is worth, I ride (nothing fancy) a LF Trip 143. I am 6'2 and weigh in around 200.

Okay, thanks for the quick replys guys, however I checked it out and as it turns out there are several models of the Hyperlite Motive available,.....what's the difference between them?

Another vote for the Motive. . . .and to demo, demo, demo. Or at least get a performance guarantee to exchange for another board if not satisfied.

The difference in Motive models is size. It comes in 128, 134, 140 and 144. The other differences you may see is the graphics if you still see some 05 boards out there.

check out CWB as well. they have some "intermediate" boards that used to be the pro models. I believe they were the earlier versions of the Absolute, which is one of the most popular pro models out now. I think they are called the Pure, and the Flame. not too pricey. you could probably find those for under $300. good luck with whatever direction you go in. once you get the WB bug, it is hard to go back!

Edited by Thomast

Hyperlite is very good with warranty issues. They have replaced several thing s for me.

We have a 140 Motive. It is a good beginner board. However, I would demo several to get a feel for what you like.