Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stainless Silent Tip Exhaust

Sixer

I know that FAEs are the new big thing for noise reduction and CO2 reduction for surfing.  Does anybody still use/add these?

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=756

I don't really want a FAE on my boat, but would be willing to do the STE's if they actually do reduce noise and help with CO2.  

Thoughts?

STE.jpg

Edited by Sixer
Added pics........

I have them , I can't speak for the CO2 as we don't surf, but for noise 

I would have to belive there is a reduction, as I have the L96.

When I load up the engine at WOT there's a very noticeable growl

but not the shrill if I where to just have the straight dumps with flapper. 

Forgot to mention: I realy like the look to!

20150515_123330-2.jpg

Edited by Dare2goBare
Forgot
  • Like 3
ahopkins22LSV

First boat had rubber flaps, TXi has the SS tips. It is quieter behind the boat at slalom speeds, but still has a nice V8 sounds which is what I still want. Can't speak for CO2 but would imagine it isn't much different then rubber flaps.

One thing is I get a ton of compliments on them! By boat is on the trailer a lot and I can't tell you how many times are launches or rest stops people are like holy crap you even have stainless exhaust tips!

• Like 3

I have them on my boat.  I installed them, changed my 3" hoses to 3.5" and removed the guts from my Ultimate Silencer, and beefed the hp way up on the engine.  At the end of the day, I think the boat may be quieter than it was with stock hp and the stock flappers & exhaust system.post-8942-0-75443500-1397770576_thumb.jppost-8942-0-99896800-1397752606_thumb.jppost-8942-0-74724100-1400625979_thumb.jp

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

I have them on my boat.  I installed them, changed my 3" hoses to 3.5" and removed the guts from my Ultimate Silencer, and beefed the hp way up on the engine.  At the end of the day, I think the boat may be quieter than it was with stock hp and the stock flappers & exhaust system.

Tell me a little more about the exhaust changes. You're carb'd though, right? So tuning afterwards was straight forward, I guess.

I've really been waffling on getting the MEFI software. https://www.obd2allinone.com/mefitune.asp 
No reason other than I really love to tinker. I'm an idiot that way, my wife hates it. But... it's who I am. At least I embrace it and all the consequences that come with it.

My contribution about the turndown tips, I have them. They look killer while it's on the trailer and a boat lift.  I know, that's dumb to care about stuff like that - but I do.
As for the noise, it's definitely quieter than flaps or straight cut. Which... I'm not exactly a "quiet" kinda guy (not that anyone here would have guessed that) so I've been considering trading out for straight angle cut tips, not turndowns.
On a few occasions the tips will pop out of the water and I get that V8 rumble that I love.  Surfing - I don't notice really any exhaust fumes so it dissipates pretty well I guess, but I do notice them if I'm chillin' on the rear platform for more than a minute or two when I'm about to climb in and do a session. 

Hope that helps.

20 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

What is the install like on these things? 

In my case I had my engine, transmission, fuel tank, and exhaust hoses all out already.  So it made it pretty easy.  If a person has not done that yet, it is just a matter of removing 4 hose clamps inside the transom (2 each side) that attach the flappers to the exhaust hoses.  Depending on the boat, I guess you might have to remove the muffler to get to that?  Maybe on a V-drive?  Pretty easy on a direct drive, probably just undo the exhaust hoses at each end and pull them out.  Then undo the screws on the outside that hold the flapper housing in place (3 each).  Then I gave each one a twist with an oil filter wrench (advise from the crew) from the outside and they came off easily.  I then had to make the transom holes larger and off-set, so I drew that and then cut away.  Then cleaned the edges up, marked where the new screws will go, predrilled them, used a larger bit in reverse to chamfer those holes, then applied a liberal amount of LifeSeal silicone and put them in place.  Oh yeah, I didn't use screws, I secured mine with thru stainless bolts and lock nuts, washers on the inside.

13 minutes ago, ibelonginprison said:

Tell me a little more about the exhaust changes. You're carb'd though, right? So tuning afterwards was straight forward, I guess.

I've really been waffling on getting the MEFI software. https://www.obd2allinone.com/mefitune.asp 
No reason other than I really love to tinker. I'm an idiot that way, my wife hates it. But... it's who I am. At least I embrace it and all the consequences that come with it.

Yes, carb'd.  But from what I understand the exhaust is independent of fuel delivery, there should be no tuning necessary with exhaust changes.

Here's a link to the exhaust stuff I did, starts the discussions at page 21 and shows the fiberglass work on page 23.  It really turned out well, sounds fantastic when boarding and even better when surfing:  http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/46372-what-engine-would-you-put-in-your-boat/&page=23

• Like 1

Accessing the hose clamps from inside the transom should be easier on the VTX, had to pull the gas tank on my LXI.

if you want bling with a bit of noise reduction, go the STE.

if you want a lot noise reduction out the back, a stereo upgrade with less exhaust noise & Co2 reduction for surfing etc, go the FAE works out near enough the same cost.

I went from STE to FAE  & off loaded the STE to another crew member Brad72. Brad reported a reduction in exhaust noise so he was happy with the outcome.

Thanks for all of the input.  From what I gather it will reduce noise a bit, but not so sure on the CO2.  My thought is when surfing if my boat is at a 20 degree angle or whatever it is that the tips would be further down in the lake, and send more of the emissions deeper into the water.  Maybe it's true, maybe I wouldn't know the difference.  I think if I do end up going forward with them I'll get new ones installed Nitrousbird, thanks for the offer though.

56 minutes ago, Sixer said:

Thanks for all of the input.  From what I gather it will reduce noise a bit, but not so sure on the CO2.  My thought is when surfing if my boat is at a 20 degree angle or whatever it is that the tips would be further down in the lake, and send more of the emissions deeper into the water.  Maybe it's true, maybe I wouldn't know the difference.  I think if I do end up going forward with them I'll get new ones installed Nitrousbird, thanks for the offer though.

They will make the boat quieter and reduce emissions, but not to the level of the FAE.  They also don't have the other trade-off's of the FAE either. 

You do realize mine are the same condition as a new pair?  Unless you do something to scratch or damage them, these things don't exactly wear out.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sixer said:

When surfing the whole transom is out of the water whether you are listed or not.  The STEs (and all exhaust tips other than FAE/surfpipe) will be above water, always, when moving faster than idle speed.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

When surfing the whole transom is out of the water whether you are listed or not.  The STEs (and all exhaust tips other than FAE/surfpipe) will be above water, always, when moving faster than idle speed.

That helps a ton.  Thank you Shwandoggy!

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

They will make the boat quieter and reduce emissions, but not to the level of the FAE.  They also don't have the other trade-off's of the FAE either. 

You do realize mine are the same condition as a new pair?  Unless you do something to scratch or damage them, these things don't exactly wear out.

How much

I went from stock flappers to STE and then an FAE over 13 years. The STE make a big improvement in noise behind the boat. Goes from distractingly loud to just loud. Especially when slaloming. In the cabin I noticed no real difference. They look nice. Surfing there is no difference in exhaust fumes. 

The FAE is big and bulky and not necessarily pretty. But it's a lot quieter all around and no fumes.  

• Like 2
On 3/5/2016 at 0:10 PM, Slurpee said:

I went from stock flappers to STE and then an FAE over 13 years. The STE make a big improvement in noise behind the boat. Goes from distractingly loud to just loud. Especially when slaloming. In the cabin I noticed no real difference. They look nice. Surfing there is no difference in exhaust fumes. 

The FAE is big and bulky and not necessarily pretty. But it's a lot quieter all around and no fumes.  

Awesome, just what I was looking for. Thank you for the input! 

1 hour ago, Sixer said:

Awesome, just what I was looking for. Thank you for the input! 

Glad I could help.  I liked the FAE enough I ordered a surf pipe on my new VLX.  I was happy for a long time with the STE's.  My winter upgrade fever just got the better of me one year and there was a sale on the FAEs.

I had the tip previously but after the positive reviews on FAE here and a couple other sites, had to go that way. Larry just installed mine today at the dealer and sent me a picture. New design since it is single exhaust and i like the way it looks! Once I get her in the water next week I will be able to see how big the difference is. 56df9689d1edf_100MEDIAIMAG07841.thumb.jp

I had straight tips on my VTX and my buddy has STE on his VLX.  Both monsoon 350.  STE is way quieter, but the exhaust is RIGHT in the pocket while surfing the VLX.  The exhaust was never a problem on my VTX, but it was super loud inside and out.  

I've upgraded to FAE on the VTX.  Noise is down all around.  Spray is up, though.  We don't slalom much, so that's no big deal.

Edited by ajive
FAE... Upgraded to FAE, not STE. Stupid acronyms.
20 hours ago, Davidda said:

I had the tip previously but after the positive reviews on FAE here and a couple other sites, had to go that way. Larry just installed mine today at the dealer and sent me a picture. New design since it is single exhaust and i like the way it looks! Once I get her in the water next week I will be able to see how big the difference is. 56df9689d1edf_100MEDIAIMAG07841.thumb.jp

wow, what is the diameter of that outlet?

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:19 PM, oldjeep said:

wow, what is the diameter of that outlet?

I am really not sure. I will see it next week and can shoot you a note.

• 2 years later...
On 3/3/2016 at 2:51 AM, Nitrousbird said:

I have a pair for sale if interested.

This post is 2 years old now, have you sold your STEs , if so , how much?. I am interested in some for my 05 VLX. 

• 2 years later...

The silent tip exhaust work great!  I have them on my 2011 VLX.  We have never noticed exhaust smell while surfing.  It must direct it into the water enough that it passes under us.  Also very quiet.  Kinda wished the boat still sounded like my ‘04 Malibu that just had the flappers - great engine sound, but I guess quieter is probably better...

17 hours ago, paullemay said:

The silent tip exhaust work great!  I have them on my 2011 VLX.  We have never noticed exhaust smell while surfing.  It must direct it into the water enough that it passes under us.  Also very quiet.  Kinda wished the boat still sounded like my ‘04 Malibu that just had the flappers - great engine sound, but I guess quieter is probably better...

Your first post was to bring a 4 year old thread back just to comment?  Ok.

I've had both, FAE is better, period.

3 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Your first post was to bring a 4 year old thread back just to comment?  Ok.

I've had both, FAE is better, period.

You forgot to welcome our new friend to the crew.

Welcome, @paullemay!

Since the thread is back, I'll add that when I switched from flappers to stainless turn-down tips, I immediately noticed that the higher pitched popping noise was gone.  The exhaust is more like the low moan you like from a V8 than it was before.

Removing your old tips is pretty simple.  Cut a 2X4 so that the end fits snugly into the exhaust tips you want to remove.  Then loosen and remove the hoses inside, remove the screws holding the tips to the transom, then shove the 2X4 into the tip and pop the end of the board with your hand to pry the tip as you apply gentle pressure.  The tips will pop loose with no damage.