Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speed Control, anyone know if there are any updates...

I know a guy who has an '06 that just decides to go to idle on occasion, even while pulling a skiier Crazy.gif

Sure seems like there are still a few bugs out there.

Thank God, I thought I was the only one having this problem. Glad to see that a ski boat is having it too. :)

ROFL.gif well I wasn't sure what you were doing back there...

People living in glass houses.......

Innocent.gif

I know a guy who has an '06 that just decides to go to idle on occasion, even while pulling a skier Crazy.gif

Is he running the 8.1?

Yes,

He is Larry, what news have you got for us?

I had the same problem with mine early on. It would just go to idle while pulling a rider. Happened several times a day until I got my ECM updated. I was told it was a problem with the 8.1 ECM. This also corrected the idle surging going to and from gear. I have since had the update installed that fixed the surfing speed problem. 100 hours now and everything is running great!

thanks for the info........ I asked them to check the ECM when it was in for its 20 hr service. They said everything was fine.

Now over the past weekend I'll get a check engine alarm, clear the alarm on the dash, and find that I have no reverse/forward. Turn engine off, restart and it works fine. I called the dealer and they said they would check into it........

Here's what I'm hearing...

I asked them to check the ECM when it was in for its 20 hr service. They said everything was fine.

It seems that some people on this site might have better info. than your dealer.

I know a guy who has an '06 that just decides to go to idle on occasion, even while pulling a skier Crazy.gif

Is he running the 8.1?

Yes,

He is Larry, what news have you got for us?

I had the same problem with mine early on. It would just go to idle while pulling a rider. Happened several times a day until I got my ECM updated. I was told it was a problem with the 8.1 ECM. This also corrected the idle surging going to and from gear. I have since had the update installed that fixed the surfing speed problem. 100 hours now and everything is running great!

thanks for the info........ I asked them to check the ECM when it was in for its 20 hr service. They said everything was fine.

Now over the past weekend I'll get a check engine alarm, clear the alarm on the dash, and find that I have no reverse/forward. Turn engine off, restart and it works fine. I called the dealer and they said they would check into it........

Hey, maybe you can get some of your money back while you're in there, since not all that wake you got is useable ROFL.gif ... at least not by some people

... 'they keep trying to catch me ridin' dir-tay'

Its one thing for them to check the ECM for errors codes. They also need to check Indmar for updates.

And Malibu, some come from the factory.

I asked them to check the ECM when it was in for its 20 hr service. They said everything was fine.

It seems that some people on this site might have better info. than your dealer.

Unfortunately, nothing new there.

I am very happy with my cruise control on my boat, now granted I don't have a lot of time using perfect pass to compare it to, but for the first year of it's existence I think they did a pretty good job. It holds speed on my boat great once it's set. It came with the boat, not an option, so I can't complain, if I ever have any major issues I guess I would just upgrade to perfect pass.

However it is nice to hear I am not the only one having issues with the time and date staying correct. But if that is my only problem with the boat I can handle that. :)

O.K.. I had called the Livermore Service Center yesterday and explained the situation to the service manager. He said he would pass it on to his head tech and would get back to me.

Sooooo, I just got off the phone with the tech. He said it is most likely a problem with the fly by wire. He said that basically there are 2 variable resistors at the throttle and 2 variable resistors at the engine. He said there is also a servo activated mechanical linkage. If the linkage is out of "parameter" witht he variable resistor the safety default is to go to neutral. The is a safety mechanism designed in the system since there is no longer a cable running from the throttle to the engine. This is probably why it just drops to idle under power occasionally or when shifting from reverse to neutral or neutral to forward it drops to idle and gets the check engine message. I'm not a total techie, so this is what I gathered from him. Nomenclature may not have been regurgatated per batum :)

He thinks it is just a matter of getting an adjustment on the linkage. Yahoo.gif

I'll ask them about the speed control when I am there.

• 2 weeks later...

Its one thing for them to check the ECM for errors codes. They also need to check Indmar for updates.

And Malibu, some come from the factory.

Unfortunately, nothing new there.

Took the Bu in for the 50+ service. Was having all these same problems so they were on the list. When the SM saw the list and realized that it was the 8.1 she volenteered that it would need the "new" calibration....what ever that is. Will post when we get it back this weekend and on the water.

Our '06 LSV with the 8.1 is actually at the malibu factory in merced right now. The engine will flare and occasionally die when gassing it in reverse and dropping it back to neutral quickly. But that isn't the big problem. While towing a skier with the cruise control set, the motor will pop up a check engine and drop back down to idle. Numberous efforts have been made to correct to problem by both the dealer and the factory. The throttle unit has been replaced twice, it is on the third calibration, the ecm and the mmdc (?) have been replaced as well and the problem still persists. The flaring problem is much better than it once was but the check engine with the cruise control set has been a chronic problem since day one. It only happens with the cruise control on and it happens maybe 4 to 6 times a day. Hopefully the mechanics at the Malibu factory can solve this problem because it has been a problem that has gone unsolved for about a year now. It makes me happy to hear that we dont have the only boat with these problems though because everyone who has seen the problem has been stumped because the fixes they thought would fix it hasnt fixed it yet... even the malibu factory mechanics. This is why the boat now has to spend time back at the factory. Im not complaining because they have been more than helpful in trying to solve the problem we have.