Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speed Control, anyone know if there are any updates...

I think the Speed Control is "OK" compared to Perfect Pass. But IMHO, I like the perfect pass better.

One of the biggest reasons of my dissatisfactions is that every time you turn off the boat, you have to turn the speed control back on Mad.gif what a pain! Especially when you get drivers who aren't use to it, and you have to remind them everytime, its not like perfect pass, you have to turn it on everytime you shut the boat down, etc.

Sooo, anyone know of any fixes to this? There's got to be a way to re-write the software or something. Right?

To add, I found it odd that it beeped EVERY time it cycled past the target speed.. frick - yea, I got it..

And, it didn't seem to pick up the speed if you overshot it very much, of course, not that I'd do that...Whistling.gif .. but I was surprised the ONE time I was pulling a few MPH over the target speed, and it didn't seem to be correcting

Seems like these things would be easily correctable with a software revision

Edited by SacRiverRat

I was hoping the "having to turn it on every time" was just in my boat - mine loses the correct time/date (but not the speed MPH setting on the CC) every time you turn it off then on. Its one of the items on the list for the dealer to fix next week. But, I guess even when working properly, this "feature" of automatically turning off the CC will still be there. It would be nice to have a fix for this, so it remembers like PP does.

I was hoping the "having to turn it on every time" was just in my boat - mine loses the correct time/date (but not the speed MPH setting on the CC) every time you turn it off then on. Its one of the items on the list for the dealer to fix next week. But, I guess even when working properly, this "feature" of automatically turning off the CC will still be there. It would be nice to have a fix for this, so it remembers like PP does.

Mine was doing this, but in the last few outings it actually has been displaying the correct time and date Crazy.gif

I heard with the 07's there are different wiring harnesses etc. So I don't even know if 07 software, IF Malibu corrected this for 07 would work???

I don't have CC but, I'm not impressed with it's holding capabilities. Also, having to to turn it on every time is ridiculous. Seems like you should be able to wire the entire dash so that it has a direct battery connection through an accessory switch. This is how I have my depth and temp. guages and radio set.

Now for an alternate opinion:

mine works great, holds well, sets easy no complaints.

At first I thought it was a bug that you had to turn it on every time. But now I realize that is is probably a safety feature. If it were on until turned off, it would always be on when my wife was driving because she would never figure out how to turn it off.

I would still prefer to have it on until turned off, but I can live with it.

Mine was doing this, but in the last few outings it actually has been displaying the correct time and date Crazy.gif

Oh, well its good to know our boats aren't stupid, and can eventually learn to remember the time. Biggrin.gif

If the '06's are "fly by wire"... why would you need to add throttle while using the speed control. What difference would that make?

I understand why you needed it for the old PP, with the servo - and needing to have enough workable range for the throttle. With an electronic thottle control, this seems odd to me.

Also seems funny, that if you overshoot the speed on the new speed control, it seems to occasionally not pick up the speed... even if you are holding speed w/in a MPH or so. It seems to have some software bugs that I'd like Malibu to fix - these should be easy fixes!

I think the Speed Control is "OK" compared to Perfect Pass. But IMHO, I like the perfect pass better.

One of the biggest reasons of my dissatisfactions is that every time you turn off the boat, you have to turn the speed control back on Mad.gif what a pain! Especially when you get drivers who aren't use to it, and you have to remind them everytime, its not like perfect pass, you have to turn it on everytime you shut the boat down, etc.

Sooo, anyone know of any fixes to this? There's got to be a way to re-write the software or something. Right?

But you also have to remember to turn off perfect pass when you are done with it otherwise the engine will bog down and stall.

But you also have to remember to turn off perfect pass when you are done with it otherwise the engine will bog down and stall.

Which I like better than getting someone up and then realizing that the control is not engaged. But yea, PP bit me a lot forgetting to turn it off.

Yea, not too big a deal when you forget to turn OFF the PP... you just realize it when you drive away, after every is done, and the thing beeps as you pass 22 or whatever...

so you just quickly slow back down, turn it off, and back on your way. Much more disruptive, to either give your rider a less then optimal pull, or to stop and restart them

Not sure what the harm is in having the thing stay on. And it must just be a simple programming fix - I just harp on these simple programming fixes, because it just seems like someone didn't think this stuff through when they were designing it

To add, I found it odd that it beeped EVERY time it cycled past the target speed.. frick - yea, I got it..

I thought this was annoying as well. At first I kept looking to see what kind of "warning" it was giving me. It eventually just became a good reason to crank the music up.

I don't know if it is a glich in my 06 unit but if I forget to turn the CC on and have a skier up and close to the desires speed I can not turn the unit on. I have to slow way down before the CC will allow itself to be turned on. As a result I'm turned off.

The update that I got last fall will allow the speed control to stay on, sort of. Speed control defaults to the off position once the engine is shut down, but if you flip the key over to the on position without firing the engine, turn on speed control, then start the engine, it will stay on between those 2 points. I've found the speed control fine, as long as you take it for what it is. I do wish that there were some fine tuning capabilities (K & N settings for example), but the pull is decent on our boat so I'm fine with that. I have found that on mine it does a better job of taking over on the speed side of things than rpm. It's almost like it has to reach a certain point of throttle before it will take over (like it senses when it stops accelerating, if that makes sense). The speed side of things is pretty easy to accelerate up to & not overshoot by more than about 1mph, not sure if the update has anything to do with that or if it's just me getting better with the system (I used to overshoot it pretty good). It usually takes over within about 1mph of it, so I'm backing off pretty good when I get close to the right point.

That's great news.

Unfortunately, I predict there'll be some bugs to work out of that new system. Considering this is the first time they're going to fly-by-wire.

Oh boy,

Here's an old prediction for ya.

I know I already said it in this thread but, again, I think PP holds speed way better than speed control.

I also know a guy who's boat (06 model) stalls whenever it wants to. Usually after shifting from forward to reverse or vice versa. I think this is a major software bug.

Edit: here's where that old quote came from BTW: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....&hl=fly+by+wire

Edited by Pistol Pete

That's great news.

Unfortunately, I predict there'll be some bugs to work out of that new system. Considering this is the first time they're going to fly-by-wire.

Oh boy,

Here's an old prediction for ya.

I know I already said it in this thread but, again, I think PP holds speed way better than speed control.

I also know a guy who's boat (06 model) stalls whenever it wants to. Usually after shifting from forward to reverse or vice versa. I think this is a major software bug.

who me? Innocent.gif

I called the dealer and they told me to bring in ASAP. Only they didn't know what the issue is. I told them to start calling...... and I'll bring it in after next weekend. We already have a 3 day planned and don't want to give any time on water up for maintenance, B.T.D.T.

I know a guy who has an '06 that just decides to go to idle on occasion, even while pulling a skier Crazy.gif

Sure seems like there are still a few bugs out there.

I know a guy who has an '06 that just decides to go to idle on occasion, even while pulling a skier Crazy.gif

Is he running the 8.1?

Thank God, I thought I was the only one having this problem. Glad to see that a ski boat is having it too. :)

I know a guy who has an '06 that just decides to go to idle on occasion, even while pulling a skiier Crazy.gif

Thank God, I thought I was the only one having this problem. Glad to see that a ski boat is having it too. :)

ROFL.gif well I wasn't sure what you were doing back there...

Edited by SacRiverRat

Is he running the 8.1?

Yes,

He is Larry, what news have you got for us?

I know a guy who has an '06 that just decides to go to idle on occasion, even while pulling a skiier Crazy.gif

ROFL.gif well I wasn't sure what you were doing back there...

People living in glass houses.......

Is he running the 8.1?

Yes,

He is Larry, what news have you got for us?

I had the same problem with mine early on. It would just go to idle while pulling a rider. Happened several times a day until I got my ECM updated. I was told it was a problem with the 8.1 ECM. This also corrected the idle surging going to and from gear. I have since had the update installed that fixed the surfing speed problem. 100 hours now and everything is running great!

Edited by larrys