Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which amp to power Rev10s

triscadek

Ive been doing some looking around at some amps to push two pair of Rev10s. I have a hard enough time getting ready to drop the coin for the Rev10s AND Perfect Pass let alone another grand for an SD-2, 4 or 6. The guy at the local dealer here said 450w per speaker is ideal but where in the crap am I supposed to find a true 1800w amp? I can only run two pair of wires up the tower then split them to each speaker. They are 16g (part of the harness I purchased and probably not ideal for 900w). Will I be okay to find a 1200w and just stick with the RMS on the 10s? JL Audio? I currently have a cheap (new) Boss 1000w 4ch full range powering the cheap speakers I put up there last year. I know the amp is crap but I was on a budget. I COULD add another 1000w Boss since I know they dont put out their full 1000w but I really dont want to have to add another amp and have 4 under my drivers side.

Here is the harness I purchased and installed last year to run my 4 tower speakers, front and rear light bars.

http://www.aerialwakeboarding.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BT-WIRINGKIT-20

400 watts per Rev10, Icon is 150 and Rev8 are 300 watts. No you cannot bridge a 4 channel to 4 pair of speakers in parallel like you have it. It will create a 2 ohm load where 4 ohm is minimum.

Edited by Truekaotik

My apologies... Apparently it is now 300 watts RMS... At least the Icons look the same at 150.

Honestly them Rev10's are perfect at around 450-500 watts on a non regulated amp...

Edited by Truekaotik

I have always gone for 400+ for them..

Honestly you made it this far.... Save... Wait.. Get the SD... I promise you it is worth every penny... As a consumer for what you have and the way it's wired, it's gold..

I have a hard enough time getting ready to drop the coin for the Rev10s AND Perfect Pass let alone another grand for an SD-2, 4 or 6.

If you want to d it right and you are pushing up against a budget, here is my advise. Go with a single pair of rev-10 and SD-2. This will be a 100X better then 4 pair driven by a $100 dollar price point amp that will actually deliver a fraction of what they marketing teams says it will. When the budget is replenished, its a simple install to add that 2nd pair of Rev-10 as you already have the best amp for the job.

Just note, that 16ga has to go. I know its not what you want to hear.

If you go cheap now you will have wasted everything you have spent so far. Cheap amp components make for some dubious watts. Yes, there may be 100 of them but they will sing like Kanye West. Personally, I would spring for JL but there are many other fine choices. If you are not convinced, buy those cheap amps from a dealer that allows returns. I used to think the speakers were the most important component. I don't think that anymore. Lots of tinkering proved to me it's the amps.

Oh yeah 16's gotta go, you need 12 gauge. SD2 will allow adding another pair later. If anything run one pair up one side and the other up the opposite

Edited by Truekaotik

And I don't think I have room for more wire. I'll have to run it through the ski locker and up the port side. 12g X 4?

Not adding more, but rather replacing it. I know you have a multi conductor thats also there for tower lights, but its thick outer jacket is eating up valuable space for larger wire.

Honestly, I would fish the lights down the STBD side to the helm, fish the speaker wires down the port side and move the amps to that locker or like you noted, run the speaker wires under the floor to the helm cavity.

It does. Trust us here. 400 watts to a pair. Then when you add a pair 300 watts to each Rev.

Looking at the brochure here says

Stereo @ 4ohms 2x400

Bridged @ 4ohms 1x1250

Not adding more, but rather replacing it. I know you have a multi conductor thats also there for tower lights, but its thick outer jacket is eating up valuable space for larger wire.

Honestly, I would fish the lights down the STBD side to the helm, fish the speaker wires down the port side and move the amps to that locker or like you noted, run the speaker wires under the floor to the helm cavity.

I have noooooooo interest what so ever in moving the amps. I hated putting them in as I was and spent hundreds in wire to mount them where they are without having to buy more and redo that rats nest lol. I'm working toward a $100,000 boat that books for $25k lol.

Plus we store a lot in the port locker.

Edited by triscadek

2ohms 2x600 that's what makes the bridged output at 4 ohms. You will parallel a pair to each channel.

Ohhhhh. You see, I'm still learning about ohms and HZ vs KHZ and all this other stuff.

I'm cool with a JL. Just hard to process $1,000 for a Wetsounds amp lol

Go price out a pair of JL HDM750/1 amps right quick and you will feel good about the price of the SD-2. Thats what it would take in the JL lineup to match what you are getting from a single SD-2

I have noooooooo interest what so ever in moving the amps. I hated putting them in as I was and spent hundreds in wire to mount them where they are without having to buy more and redo that rats nest lol. I'm working toward a $100,000 boat that books for $25k lol.

Plus we store a lot in the port locker.

We completely understand here and he is giving one scenario buddy. Think for a minute, if you have it set another way than run the speaker wire down the closest leg, the power and ground for the light on the farther leg? Or my idea? Not much else we can say on this I think?

Wait, I got more... Lol

If your gonna run a extra pair later, wire for them and cap the ends. Makes for a instant add.

Edited by Truekaotik

I gotcha. It cost to be the boss. My other half is currently filing for divorce after I told her how much for an amp lol. Where's a good place to get that much 12g wire?

Would I be okay to run four sets of 16g in another Harness like I have if I'm going up the port side? If im buying them, I'm buying the full set and doing it all at once.