Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 24 MXZ vs. 2016 G23

Shodan01

I am really hoping to make the loop this year. Take a surfing safari. It would be a very fun trip. Havasu,shasta,Willamette river, coure de lane, then complete the loop through utah, hit powell and home.

• Like 2

I am really hoping to make the loop this year. Take a surfing safari. It would be a very fun trip. Havasu,shasta,Willamette river, coure de lane, then complete the loop through utah, hit powell and home.

When you hit havasu, spread the word, I'm right on the other side of the dam

On that note, I'll be up in the Sherwood area, south of Portland mid June for my nephews graduation. Wouldn't mind trying to hook up a ride with some of the PNW crew. Seems like you guys have lots of active members up there. I'll post in the crew on the water section as we get closer.

Just keep me posted, brutha! I'll drop everything to take you and family out on the river. I'm sure we could convince other locals to be there as well.

20140814_080815_zpsxewgz35u.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

What a joy reading this thread lol. I have been drooling over the new g23 ever since I saw it and I currently have a 2012 mxz. I know this thread is about dead because OP made decision, but is the X star even in comparison to these 2 boats when it comes to engine performance, wave, wake, interior features ? I have only been in one g21 but to me the interior of the G seems more robust, sturdy, and well built compared to my mxz and other malibu boats I've been in. This whole discussion has made me re think that the g23 doesn't need any extra weight. I thought that was their best feature because I personally hate the added lead, bags, pnp. I know it makes a much better wave but what a hassle to do that every time. Paying 130k these boats should do all that work for us with a touch of button and we just ride. Seems crazy we still have to buy aftermarket upgrades to get the performance we want. I personally like how the g23 sits so much higher out of water. Seems like it would take rollers much better when at rest? Any thoughts on the stereo options from factory from both boats ? 

I am not sure what Malibu is offering for factory options now, but Nautique switched to JL audio in 2016.  It's hard to find anyone who would ever complain that JL is not a top end manufacturer.  It is definitely a step up from 2015 Nautique with Polk speakers and amps.  The base stereo is standard equipment on the Nautique.  

I've always felt Malibu had the softest and most comfortable interiors.  The Nautique is far from bad, but a little bit boxy.  The seat hinges are perfectly designed, it is a big plus.  Those rear lockers on the G23 are awesome.  I put 2 surfboards in them with all my vests and still have gobs of room.  

I am very pleased with the wave on the 16, G23.  It is a step better than the 15, which I did not think was very likely.  I like it a lot in stock form, and never added bags to my 15, but probably will throw some 1100's in the lockers of my '16.  Just because I can, and I like plumbing ballast.  I am already dreaming of where to drill holes in the bottom of the hull for it.  But it is hard to beat 2850 pounds of ballast all under the floor.  

I never hear Xstar in these conversations, and I think it is because the surf wave is just not there, but there is so little discussion about it that I really don't know.  

Tall red- You going to primarily wakeboard with the extra weight in the back? If for surfing, don't bother. It is too rear biased that way, and you would need about 1500lbs up front to compensate. I started with 550s in back compartments with 300 lead in the bow, a 400 under the helm (in the totally unused area below the floor) and a 400 in the recessed portion under the observer seat. Even with all that weight towards the front, and only 550s in the back, it was way too heavy in the rear still. Wave was super tall but way too steep and short. That said, that was perfect weight balance for wakeboarding. It was dead on. Stock wake but 30% bigger. Scary.

I have since removed everything from rear compartments, put 300s under the lounge seats, and kept under helm and observer seat 400s. This setup takes the stock surf wave shape and just increases in size. I'm loving it with this setup.

i made a panel for my observer side so I still have storage over there. It just has a flat floor now. I can post picks when I have a chance.

Does malibu offer wetsounds from factory now ? Seems like that would be the best and JL second. Even if the big 2 have JL and wetsounds are they still be under powered? Even if you get the biggest stereo system would you have been better off putting that money toward Rev 10s or something of the sort ? 

I personally really like the boxy interior of a Nautique. Yes the malibu looks more sleek and might feel more comfortable but when I am on the water I want something sturdy that will last rather then comfy and finniky. 

I just took a look at the malibu 235. It kinda made me chuckle because malibu isREALLY trying to copy Nautique on that one. I guess a better comparison would be the mxz or lsv to the SAN210 or SAN 230 and compare the G series to the m235 because of the deep hull. I think it is the deep hull that really gets me. Being high off the water just seems very nice to me. 

I would agree with TRR, the G has a much better factory stereo.  Malibu can be decent IF you throw more money at it.  Biggest disappointment is factory sub.  

G gets the nod on hard tank ballast, but as 1021 notes even still the G, likes extra weight.  So adding PNP should not be a BU detractor.

I like the additional rack space on the BU, I am not a fan of putting boards in lockers.   Some people love it, but not my personal thing.   So having quad racks is a benefit to me.    

I also prefer the BU dash over G series.   The 2015+ dash is an absolute winner.   

I would also give G the win on 17" prop, the 15 is OK, and I have only had issues when trying to hit 23.5 with 5k plus wedge, take that down to 4k and no issues.   

Overall the MXZ is a better value,  you can have an over optioned 24 MXZ for the same money as a reasonably optioned G23,  the G23 is much closers priced to a M235, IF YOU OPTION IT DOWN! 

ahopkins22LSV
30 minutes ago, SnubNose said:

Does malibu offer wetsounds from factory now ? Seems like that would be the best and JL second. Even if the big 2 have JL and wetsounds are they still be under powered? Even if you get the biggest stereo system would you have been better off putting that money toward Rev 10s or something of the sort ? 

I personally really like the boxy interior of a Nautique. Yes the malibu looks more sleek and might feel more comfortable but when I am on the water I want something sturdy that will last rather then comfy and finniky. 

I just took a look at the malibu 235. It kinda made me chuckle because malibu isREALLY trying to copy Nautique on that one. I guess a better comparison would be the mxz or lsv to the SAN210 or SAN 230 and compare the G series to the m235 because of the deep hull. I think it is the deep hull that really gets me. Being high off the water just seems very nice to me. 

You should read the reviews of the m235 from those who have been in and surfed both the m235 and g23. Sure the basic design was a "copy" but that is no different then any other manufacture out there. Auto industry copies each other all the time. 

1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

I would agree with TRR, the G has a much better factory stereo.  Malibu can be decent IF you throw more money at it.  Biggest disappointment is factory sub.  

G gets the nod on hard tank ballast, but as 1021 notes even still the G, likes extra weight.  So adding PNP should not be a BU detractor.

I like the additional rack space on the BU, I am not a fan of putting boards in lockers.   Some people love it, but not my personal thing.   So having quad racks is a benefit to me.    

I also prefer the BU dash over G series.   The 2015+ dash is an absolute winner.   

I would also give G the win on 17" prop, the 15 is OK, and I have only had issues when trying to hit 23.5 with 5k plus wedge, take that down to 4k and no issues.   

Overall the MXZ is a better value,  you can have an over optioned 24 MXZ for the same money as a reasonably optioned G23,  the G23 is much closers priced to a M235, IF YOU OPTION IT 

I remember you stating that the comparison of g23 to mxz24 isn't even a good one because of size difference. So is the real comparison a g25 to mxz24 or a g23 to a mxz22. 

I like the malibu dash setup, but the Nautique offers the controller right next to the throttle. That is amazing to me. If you have ever driven a new Mercedes you would understand on nice it is having the controls in hand while you sit in a comfortable position. The malibu forces you to lean foward and having to use hand eye coordination to touch screen stuff while you are pulling someone. Too much going on. 

I would really have to drive both to compare functionability but from what I see the Nautique seems easier to control from the helm without putting the driver in a uncomfortable or distracted position. 

Does the G have way bigger storage in the back and therefore can hold bigger PNP if that is being the comparison? 

Edited by SnubNose
1 hour ago, SnubNose said:

I remember you stating that the comparison of g23 to mxz24 isn't even a good one because of size difference. So is the real comparison a g25 to mxz24 or a g23 to a mxz22. 

I like the malibu dash setup, but the Nautique offers the controller right next to the throttle. That is amazing to me. If you have ever driven a new Mercedes you would understand on nice it is having the controls in hand while you sit in a comfortable position. The malibu forces you to lean foward and having to use hand eye coordination to touch screen stuff while you are pulling someone. Too much going on. 

I would really have to drive both to compare functionability but from what I see the Nautique seems easier to control from the helm without putting the driver in a uncomfortable or distracted position. 

Does the G have way bigger storage in the back and therefore can hold bigger PNP if that is being the comparison? 

Planning on buying a Nautique soon? Your last few posts seem to indicate you're leaning that way.

1 hour ago, RedOwl said:

Planning on buying a Nautique soon? Your last few posts seem to indicate you're leaning that way.

Maybe next boat but not for some time. Just trying to have discussion currently. 

Edited by SnubNose
8 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Tall red- You going to primarily wakeboard with the extra weight in the back? If for surfing, don't bother. It is too rear biased that way, and you would need about 1500lbs up front to compensate. I started with 550s in back compartments with 300 lead in the bow, a 400 under the helm (in the totally unused area below the floor) and a 400 in the recessed portion under the observer seat. Even with all that weight towards the front, and only 550s in the back, it was way too heavy in the rear still. Wave was super tall but way too steep and short. That said, that was perfect weight balance for wakeboarding. It was dead on. Stock wake but 30% bigger. Scary.

I have since removed everything from rear compartments, put 300s under the lounge seats, and kept under helm and observer seat 400s. This setup takes the stock surf wave shape and just increases in size. I'm loving it with this setup.

i made a panel for my observer side so I still have storage over there. It just has a flat floor now. I can post picks when I have a chance.

I've had opposite in my expierence with my G23. It likes more rear weight than front for sure. You have a G21?

1 minute ago, nohlan4 said:

I've had opposite in my expierence with my G23. It likes more rear weight than front for sure. You have a G21?

I have a 16 G23. '13-'15 definitely seemed to like rear weight a little more. The 16 doesn't like to be heavily rear biased for surfing. 

1 hour ago, TenTwentyOne said:

I have a 16 G23. '13-'15 definitely seemed to like rear weight a little more. The 16 doesn't like to be heavily rear biased for surfing. 

Interesting, wouldn't think those small hull changes would make that difference but I haven't been on a '16 yet.

22 hours ago, SnubNose said:

Truly you have to drive to compare.  For me - one major factor was that my Malibu dealer is rock solid!  He has been out on holiday weekends to help with something simple.  The Nautique dealer is about an hour away, and could be just as good, but it was relatively unknown.  I LOVE the look of the MXZ even over the Nautique, although my wife loved the G23 we tested.  I just now got to surf my 24MXZ with the 575.  I have 750's in each rear and 400lbs of lead up front....The surf wake has been amazing thus far!  Totally different from my 22MXZ I had the year before.  My choice was tougher than I expected, but also not since I put a lot of weight into the dealer...

31 minutes ago, Shodan01 said:

Truly you have to drive to compare.  For me - one major factor was that my Malibu dealer is rock solid!  He has been out on holiday weekends to help with something simple.  The Nautique dealer is about an hour away, and could be just as good, but it was relatively unknown.  I LOVE the look of the MXZ even over the Nautique, although my wife loved the G23 we tested.  I just now got to surf my 24MXZ with the 575.  I have 750's in each rear and 400lbs of lead up front....The surf wake has been amazing thus far!  Totally different from my 22MXZ I had the year before.  My choice was tougher than I expected, but also not since I put a lot of weight into the dealer...

I bet that surf wave is unreal! Wakeboard wake is probably just stupid big lol 

Which helm interface did you like better ? The Nautique seems really nice with that controller next to throttle but I like how malibu has the dash right in front of your face

Edited by SnubNose
14 minutes ago, IXFE said:

The G23 hull changes are not small

Just the fact that one hull has the exact opposite weighting strategy as compared to another, it would seem they are small to cause that, larger shins and slightly different surf running surface. But I'm no fluid dynamics engineer I guess.

15 minutes ago, nohlan4 said:

Just the fact that one hull has the exact opposite weighting strategy as compared to another, it would seem they are small to cause that, larger shins and slightly different surf running surface. But I'm no fluid dynamics engineer I guess.

I'm no scientist either... But if you look at them side by side, it's easy to spot the changes. You don't have to be an expert to see major shape differences from bow to stern. 

I wonder if Google has pics... checking now

1 hour ago, Shodan01 said:

This is my experience as well. I've surfed a 22 MXZ and a 24 MXZ (thanks @DarkSide). The 22 we surfed required a lot of weight cheating to make a clean wave. The 24 surfed A LOT like my 23 LSV (that's a good thing).