Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 24 MXZ vs. 2016 G23

Shodan01

Hey All,

I wasn't originally in the market for a new boat, but we went to the show this weekend and my wife and daughter fell in love with a G23. I am curious if anyone has first hand knowledge between the two boats.

Obviously I have knowledge of a 22MXZ (Ive had 2) but both have had the 350 (of which I would defend as I never had a problem even with additional ballast although I am at sea level. Unfortunately I am a horsepower Junkee and love to have the largest engine in what I own...

Here are two boats I am considering:

1. Ordering a 24 MXZ with 575 power plant (although rumor is that a new 22MXZ might hit in 2017 which would make the 24MXZ a 2018 possibly) Also curious for those living on a lake with only 89 or possibly 91 octane and the supercharged engines....any issues? Not that it is a comparison, but my supercharged skis seem to be running fine over the last two seasons.

2. 2016 G23 with the 450 power plant. 2:1 gear ratio on the tranny.

Does anyone have advise to offer? Not interested in the LSV only since my wife and daughter usually have their sun sessions up there.

Que all the pickle fork haters in 3.....2....1..... :rofl:

Edited by Shodan01

Although I could probably pay the difference, I am having a hard time believing it will bring me that much a better experience. The G and the 24 MXZ would be similarly priced

I have not been in any of the MXZ boats, but I have been driving the 16' g23 a lot lately. The boat has the H6 direct injection 450 engine. As far as the design and build quality, you've been in one at the show and it speaks for itself. Power wise, that engine is perfect for that boat. We decided to max it out, ran full stock ballast which is 2850 i believe and then put 3000 more ballast on top. This was our wakeboard setup at 23.7 mph. That engine still pulled through and planed quickly. It definitely has to do with the 2:1 tranny and the huge 17" prop. Power wise, the H6 is great.

I own an axis btw HAHA

Edited by kx250frider617

My issue is that all of these boats are great. All are the best depending on who you ask. I have been very happy with the build quality, even the engine, and the wakes created by my 22 MXZ. I usually stick to a brand, since I have finally learned bells and whistles and how to tweak things easier. I appreciate all input.

Dumb question, the A22 and the MXZ have the same hull, right? Not trying to hijack...I like pickle forks btw

I don't believe that's the case. In fact, I don't think any Axis shares its hull with a Malibu. Certainly they're similar, but not identical.

• Like 4

I can say absolutely nothing bad about my Malibu dealer. He has always done a phenomenal job taking care of my boat, which is one reason why I struggle switching brands.

The other dealer is a decent bit larger and has a good reputation but I've never personally worked with them.

Ooh my favorite topic! First congrats, there is no wrong choice, both are outstanding. First the obvious the 24 is roomier than the G23. It is a big boat but still has the clean lines of a Malibu. Because the MXZ line haso the giant bow area, the helm is pushed backwards. This moves the center point. The extra length of the 24 comes into play here, it will drive quite a bit different than your 22. To me the 24MXZ is perfect, you have the cockpit of 23LSV with a MXZ bow.

The dash setup on the malibu is definitely the winner between these two boats. The 2015/6 dash is an absolute home run.

Do not discount the value of the wedge as a shaping tool. The PW2 is awesome, far and away better thanthe older version. The lift feature works like a champ.

Both boats have storage for days, but Malibu gets the win for board storage. The G limits you to one pair of racks. We frequently have 8-10 boards with us on fill day Saturday trips. Every board goes in a rack, or on the bimini in a sleeve. I know you cab site boards under seats, but if under seat storage was that great no one would buy any racks.

Do not underestimate the wake and wave making abilities of the 24, just add weight, the 24 is a big boat so it takes a lot of weight to push the hull deep into the water.

Octane we only have access to 91 here in AZ, no issues.

Dealer and Company support. This one for me is a Malibu win hands down. This is a huge component, with 2 previous MXZ that relationship should already be solid.

Ooh my favorite topic! First congrats, there is no wrong choice, both are outstanding. First the obvious the 24 is roomier than the G23. It is a big boat but still has the clean lines of a Malibu. Because the MXZ line haso the giant bow area, the helm is pushed backwards. This moves the center point. The extra length of the 24 comes into play here, it will drive quite a bit different than your 22. To me the 24MXZ is perfect, you have the cockpit of 23LSV with a MXZ bow.

The dash setup on the malibu is definitely the winner between these two boats. The 2015/6 dash is an absolute home run.

Do not discount the value of the wedge as a shaping tool. The PW2 is awesome, far and away better thanthe older version. The lift feature works like a champ.

Both boats have storage for days, but Malibu gets the win for board storage. The G limits you to one pair of racks. We frequently have 8-10 boards with us on fill day Saturday trips. Every board goes in a rack, or on the bimini in a sleeve. I know you cab site boards under seats, but if under seat storage was that great no one would buy any racks.

Do not underestimate the wake and wave making abilities of the 24, just add weight, the 24 is a big boat so it takes a lot of weight to push the hull deep into the water.

Octane we only have access to 91 here in AZ, no issues.

Dealer and Company support. This one for me is a Malibu win hands down. This is a huge component, with 2 previous MXZ that relationship should already be solid.

Thanks for this info. I absolutely LOVE my 22 MXZ (it is the 2nd I have had), but have always wanted bigger and larger motors. The 350 is sufficient, however I am as said above a junkee who loves to say I have the biggest engine (insert comment about making up for something here) :) . The 24 looks great and is likely bigger than we would ever use, but I think the combo of the 575 and the larger boat would be perfect for what I want. I feel that both dealers will be able to support their boats, but only have experience with Malibu...My dealer is FIRST RATE! :rockon:

I am curious about benefits to G23 vs. 24. Have you been in the 2016 G? I am reading the transmission of 2:1 has been a major hit, however agree the weight might offset the benefit. I know that I would miss the ability to stow long boards on the bimini since I would definitely be adding more ballast bags to either.

Anybody out with the 575 on octane? I don't even buy trailers as my boats are on the lift when I use them, so I am stuck with lake gas.

I don't have my boat yet but I ordered a 16 22 mxz with the 575 and had the octane concern myself. Fortunately the 1 station I pass to the ramp has 93 octane. I would not be concerned if you had 91 octane available, don't know that I would put 89 in it. The worst it is going to do on 91 is pull a little timing, honestly with that much power you probably wouldn't even notice it. On 89 octane I would be quite concerned with detonation in the motor, which is obviously not good on it.

Another thing to think about is fuel usage, if that is even a concern. The 575 has a 1.5:1 transmission that could probably still swing a huge prop heavily weighted in the 24 mxz which will help on the fuel a little bit and your cruising speeds will definitely be better as opposed to the g23 turning higher rpms with 2:1 ratio.

I have 572 LSA, and 91 is all we can get. I have not been out in a '16 G23, I have looked at them a couple times. The G is a sweet boat but I love the BU.

Tranny is a double edged sword. 2:1 Tranny translates to high RPM which translates to GUZZLING that premium fuel. I had 450 LS3 in my 14 MXZ and 572 LSA in my current MXZ. Guess which one used more fuel. Yep 450, it has to run at the edge to produce enough power to push the boat. The LSA is producing that same power 1000-1500 RPM sooner! So lower furl usage.

The supercharged power is 100% legit. You have power from the get go. It doesn't need to wind up to 4k to develop enough power to get you going. You also always have a little power left in the throttle.

The G does have the 17" prop which I do view as an advantage however the proper 15" does work very well in the MXZ. I have not hit the wall yet, and I am at 1700-2100 depending on the lake is go to. So at sea level your golden either way.

• Like 1

What prop are you running Dark?

Another thing to remember, the 575 is essentially just a ford 6.2l motor with a roush (tvs2300) supercharger. These motors are in several mustang and raptors and here in the Midwest (outside of the gas station I use at the lake) 91 is the highest octane I've ever seen. That's why I wouldn't be concerned with running it.

I don't have my boat yet but I ordered a 16 22 mxz with the 575 and had the octane concern myself. Fortunately the 1 station I pass to the ramp has 93 octane. I would not be concerned if you had 91 octane available, don't know that I would put 89 in it. The worst it is going to do on 91 is pull a little timing, honestly with that much power you probably wouldn't even notice it. On 89 octane I would be quite concerned with detonation in the motor, which is obviously not good on it.

Another thing to think about is fuel usage, if that is even a concern. The 575 has a 1.5:1 transmission that could probably still swing a huge prop heavily weighted in the 24 mxz which will help on the fuel a little bit and your cruising speeds will definitely be better as opposed to the g23 turning higher rpms with 2:1 ratio.

For me the concern/obsession over fuel consumption, is not $ related, especially as gas should be "cheap" this year. The basis for me is, using the entire tank. I don't have access to 91 on the water usually. One of the 4 lakes I frequent offers 91, the other 3 only 89. I am now at a point where I can get through a full day on a tank. We also go hard, a full day for us is 9 hours on the water, 7 hours of actual riding. We typically don't spend a lot of time floating between riders, so we usually get 20+ rides in a day.

With the 2:1 I don't think a full day of riding would be in the cards.

The new 2016 G23's new gel scheme is pretty sick, I really like it. Never been behind either of these boats, only sat in them. However, it is hard to beat the resale, brand recognition and proven performance of a G23, love or hate them it pretty much sets the bar for all wake boats. From my "sitting" experience in both of them I would lean towards a G23 if the dealer was good and could back up the product. Does the 24 MXZ come with a 17" prop? Plus the G23 bar none has the best wakeboard wake on the market today. Surf wake comparison between the two I have no idea but there are pro surfers shredding it behind the G's. Not taking anything away from the 24MXZ either but its tough competition going against a G23 with any boat comparison. Is pricing equal on these boats optioned out the same?

IMG_1803%20640x480_zpsl3fnyfa2.jpg

• Like 1

The new 2016 G23's new gel scheme is pretty sick, I really like it. Never been behind either of these boats, only sat in them. However, it is hard to beat the resale, brand recognition and proven performance of a G23, love or hate them it pretty much sets the bar for all wake boats. From my "sitting" experience in both of them I would lean towards a G23 if the dealer was good and could back up the product. Does the 24 MXZ come with a 17" prop? Plus the G23 bar none has the best wakeboard wake on the market today. Surf wake comparison between the two I have no idea but there are pro surfers shredding it behind the G's. Not taking anything away from the 24MXZ either but its tough competition going against a G23 with any boat comparison. Is pricing equal on these boats optioned out the same?

IMG_1803%20640x480_zpsl3fnyfa2.jpg

Pricing is pretty equal. I know its a good problem to have that Im even considering either boat. The dealer (from what I hear) is legit, however again, the Malibu dealer here is the best! The ONLY reason I am looking at the G23 is because my wife loved the colors and Ive never tried it so I figured what the heck! I can design a 24MXZ roughly same price with the 575.

The differences are that for roughly the same price I can get a 24MXZ with the 575 for the same price as the G23 with the 450. The other details would be insignificant, but nice IMO which are fender pro attachments and cameras already built in (for the same price).

"Best wakeboard wake" from a pro stand point. There is no denying that the G set the bar, but is the cost increase of a G and a 24MXZ worth it? The G in our area is 30k more similarly optioned. The wake behind any of these boats unballasted is still more than most can handle. I think where Malibu excels is Malibu has the classic "Malibu wake" weather you ride a VTX or a 25LSV, the wakes all have that "rampy" Malibu feel. Even the Nautique rep around here said how different the wakes were between the three Gs, and why the 23 is the best of the three.

I walked into our local Nautique dealer last year just to look. I asked the price of the G23, and I was told 160k. I asked what they were selling for and was told 160k. Based on that, I definitely did not see a 70k difference between my 22VLX and G23. Sick yes, just not 70k more sick. IMO

On topic though, the 24MXZ definitely puts out a great wake. Also I feel the MXZ is noticeably more roomy. I don't know darksides weight, but the 450 did awesome with 750s in the rear and a 650 up front. We're close to sea level, so not an issue. I think if they put the rear bench seating in the 24 like they did with the 25LSV, that would be even better

Edited by wakebrdr94

I would be mid 130's on both boats. I feel confident that the deal is right with Malibu financially but don't know SAN product price discounts.

The Malibu dealer is also putting more into my boat but I presume the demo will tell me.

Here is what I run. Prop = OJ 15 x 15.5 DO NOT ORDER TORQUE PROP WITH 575!

Here is my normal configuration.

Bow MLS + 250# bomb wake in each pickle area.

Center MLS

Rear MLS + custom bags ~ 1250 per bag.

100 pounds bomb wake in each rear tub, under transom seats.

400 additional bomb wake to move around based on crew size and sport.

This puts me at roughly 5000 plus wedge.

For surfing I fill every thing and run 4 clicks of wedge, wave is awesome. I frequently have 1500+ pounds of crew on board also. Most of us are 250+ so it doesn't take many of us to make a noticeable difference. On big crew days the extra bomb wake goes in the bow by the anchor locker, on small crew days and wakeboarding it stays in the back.

I am not a wakeboarder, I can but don't enjoy it like I do surfing. Either of these 2 boats will put out monster wakes. I had a couple ASU Wakedevils out with me a couple weeks ago, thier interpretation was my wake was bigger and rampier than the G they rode. I have no idea how the G is configured, may be stock ballast only.

I think the G wins on steepness of the wave on port side, on the goofy side MXZ wins. The goofy wave is REALLY good.

• Like 2