Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 24 MXZ vs. 2016 G23

Shodan01

My LS3 with the 1235 prop and 5k worth of ballast and lead and NO wedge runs close to 4k Rpms at 23/24 mph. I have an a22 also. I'll tell you what, it drinks the gas line there's no tomorrow. I'll know the exact rpm and speed this weekend hopefully.

It may be that I run more weight, but I don't think I could even plane out with wedge at all.

You guys are all killing me. I have been in bed all day with food poisoning, but finally have both demos lined up for Saturday. Should be interesting.....I am leaning towards the MXZ only because I trust and know that dealer but have many questions for the other dealer as well.

Every manufacturer does a Homer SImpson (Doh!) once in a while and having a good dealer is more important than whatever boat you are looking at when that happens. I think I hear less complaints on the Nautique forum from brand new owners with issues, but the numbers are smaller too, so hard to evaluate. If the Nautique dealer makes you skiddish, then you have to run. In my case, I have a local Nautique dealer, or a good Malibu Dealer 120 miles away. All other things being debatable, having the local dealer won out. Nautique forgot to put sealant on a couple of screw holes on my NSS, and figuring out where in the crap the water in my bilge was coming from was a huge time drainer. Several trips to the distant Malibu dealer for such a thing would have really raised my blood pressure.

I personally have opinions on certain qualities of the G23 I think are better, but other folks who seem plenty reasonable have different opinions, so overall it isn't that big of a difference. What I think is better about the G, may just be my familiarity with the boat.

Edited by TallRedRider

Red,

I agree having a trusted dealer is huge, having to drag 120 miles each way would SUCK.

I can't believe you admitted your G had a leak on here. Remember this is where people lose thier mind if a small piece of fiberglass debris is left behind in a sealed compartment. That piece of fiberglass constitutes a complete lack of QAQC and the whole boat is now prone to sink because obviously no one was checking anything during production.

I do truly hope they were able to find the leak on the first trip, and am glad it was nothing too serious. That is an easy fix.

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 2

Every manufacturer does a Homer SImpson (Doh!) once in a while and having a good dealer is more important than whatever boat you are looking at when that happens. I think I hear less complaints on the Nautique forum from brand new owners with issues, but the numbers are smaller too, so hard to evaluate. If the Nautique dealer makes you skiddish, then you have to run. In my case, I have a local Nautique dealer, or a good Malibu Dealer 120 miles away. All other things being debatable, having the local dealer won out. Nautique forgot to put sealant on a couple of screw holes on my NSS, and figuring out where in the crap the water in my bilge was coming from was a huge time drainer. Several trips to the distant Malibu dealer for such a thing would have really raised my blood pressure.

I personally have opinions on certain qualities of the G23 I think are better, but other folks who seem plenty reasonable have different opinions, so overall it isn't that big of a difference. What I think is better about the G, may just be my familiarity with the boat.

I can definitely appreciate the comments. One of the things I was looking at was also knowing first hand the Malibu systems and functions of the new dash (since I have a 2015). I am definitely concerned about the service department, but I have several questions to ask during the demo to see how they respond. My Malibu dealer came out on a 3 day holiday weekend to deliver me 2 new batteries last year, and has always taken my calls, and put me in front, knowing that I am out there every weekend (and I have sent several friends to them so I hope it goes both ways)....

The Nautique dealer is about an hour away, and me not wanting a trailer, nor the hassle of launching etc., I don't want to pay dock fees every time a minor issue arises. I agree with DarkSide that I have seen some pretty petty concerns from members (and seen similar on the planetnautique forum) for people about their boats. No matter a Honda, Hyundai or Mercedes, every manufacture has possible screw ups....(My wife G63 was a buy back but her new one is perfect).

I appreciate all the insight! Fuel is still a concern, however I would likely keep my 350 on my 22 rather than do a 450 on a 24 currently just because I am looking for a dramatic difference. (Again at near sea level so no issues with my 350 ever). I am just looking to be over the top! :-)

Shodan,

Relax I run 3500 over stock, which is basically like the G with 750's. I don't have exposed bags, and it does not include the use of the wedge, which as you know is a HUGE Malibu advantage. So 24 MXZ is Very capable of going head to head with a G performance wise.

I totally agree - I think we are comparing two at the top of the food chain in my opinion. I personally am not liking the MC boats, so I stopped looking there. I think the feel during the demo will tell all. Relationship with dealer means a ton....it will be hard to beat that in my Bu dealer.

Red,

I agree having a trusted dealer is huge, having to drag 120 miles each way would SUCK.

I can't believe you admitted your G had a leak on here. Remember this is where people lose thier mind if a small piece of fiberglass debris is left behind in a sealed compartment. That piece of fiberglass constitutes a complete lack of QAQC and the whole boat is now prone to sink because obviously no one was checking anything during production.

I do truly hope they were able to find the leak on the first trip, and am glad it was nothing too serious. That is an easy fix.

LMAO... No kidding! A QAQC problem on a Nautique...? This is a first on TMC. Probably the first in the entire world!! :lol:

• Like 2

Shodan01 - You should buy whatever you want .. its your money and I hope the demos "speak" to you. There is no wrong choice in this decision. However, if you go back and read all your posts (which I just did) .. you've already made up your mind ;)

Ok - Had the demo today with both boats. I will try to post some videos when I can later this evening. Here is my opinion but keep in mind that I am currently in a 2015 22 MXZ.

1. Interior - The G takes it a full notch up IMO. I am not digging the new materials for the interior. They are more matte, and "rough" finish rather than a soft vinyl appearance.

2. Exterior - Personal Preference (No Change) - I am still a MXZ Fan

3. Wakeboard Wake - nice with both. Slower (16-17 mph for smaller kids) the Malibu was better but neither was crystal clear until 18 mph today (windy). Will defer the MXZ to Dark

4. Surf Wake - I truly was shocked at how small the G was. Maybe they didn't tweak it in, but my 22 MXZ was better than the G IMO. Now the Malibu with the plug and play put out a wave that was more impressive. The additional weight of the motor and this plug and play had 750's rather than 550's, it was truly taller by 30%, steeper and longer. I will send videos to see but with both weighing in the same, it would be a performance vs. luxurious choice. I would love to know from the G people how much plug/play ballast you run and how much improvement over stock was seen.

SC

Edited by Shodan01

I agree on the new vinyl, I was not a fan of the old textured vinyl either. To the point I ordered my boat with no textured vinyl.

You have a very fun choice to make! FYI if you only had 750's, the MXZ can still get significantly bigger and longer. With 575 you are able to move up to NINJA style!

Shodan,

Here's a pic of my G23 from this past Summer. The wave is incredible.

Joe - That is a great looking wave! How did you have this boat weighed out? Did you have extra ballast in? I am working on posting video now.

Well - I haven't been able to post these to make them pretty. I didn't get to demo the 24 MXZ, but I feel relatively comfortable knowing what my 22 will do with the ballast I run. I mainly wanted to feel the 575 to see if that was the motor I wanted to order if or when I got my next boat.

We demoed this G23 with Zach's father and the same setup as the video, stock ballast/2850#. We were primarily Comparing the wakeboard wake between the '15 and '16 G23, but my son did surf it. Just the same, you really need to surf the 24 MXZ and G23 to compare the waves.

• Like 3

We demoed this G23 with Zach's father and the same setup as the video, stock ballast/2850#. We were primarily Comparing the wakeboard wake between the '15 and '16 G23, but my son did surf it. Just the same, you really need to surf the 24 MXZ and G23 to compare the waves.

http://youtu.be/xEdDv2cX_LM

Nice promo vid. How is that 20 year old going to afford a boat like that. I guess it's aimed at the parents? Edited by Josh4mc

Great video, +1 on that gel scheme... that surf band also looks legit, it even counts down on the display for transfers. Call me a fan of the G, that boat is amazing.

I assure you im not a G hater. The video looked better on my demo ride in the video than it did in person. Especially driver side. The video above looks good and totally different than what I saw on my demo.

I appreciate all feedback on this :-)

Thanks for the video. I saw it previously but didn't know it was stock ballast. Pretty impressive. I love both of these boats for different reasons. As others have said I realize the 24 MXZ is a different animal than the 25 LSV I drove, but mainly drove the LSV to feel the 575. I believe both wakes could be tweaked to be more than I or my family could ever use, and likely I wouldn't even notice the difference at my surf level which is just getting and ropeless last season. BUT Now that my daughter can drive me, Ill be in the water more this season.

I will keep everyone updated to my personal choice, but no offense to either brand, they are both great!

• Like 2