Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 24 MXZ vs. 2016 G23

Shodan01

Just FYI- The 2016 G does have 3 different Bimini options, and 2 of them have board storage. The z5 rack obviously holds a ton of boards, but the sewlong Bimini offers better head clearance, better coverage, and can still hold 4 boards. The regular Bimini doesn't have sleeves, but many have added them. Still, if you opt for the sewlong (I would), you have room for 8 boards on your tower. Still not as much as the mxz offers, but it seems like it would be enough for most.

Not to mention, you can store about 5 boards in the observer seat compartment, and 10-15 boards in the rear compartments of a g.

I can honestly say that I would still rather all my boards were on the tower, but I only usually have 6-8 onboard.

As for the fuel consumption on the 2:1..... It doesn't seem worse to me at all. The big prop reduces prop slip and wasted energy. With that being the case, it seems to offset the rpm difference of the 2:1 ratio. My G21 averaged 6-7gph towing, which didn't seem any worse than any of my past boats. I haven't run my '16 G23 (550/2:1) enough to have good data yet. I only know that it is extreme overkill on power with that ratio/prop setup. If I was to reorder, I would go with the 450 and save the money.

• Like 2

Ten,

575 and a 2:1! Holy crap! Your description of extreme overkill is very accurate, however with the G able to run 17" props you could likely step all the way up to a 17x20, which is what the M235 runs. With that big of a prop you would likely have better economy and with your powertrain I can't imagine you having problems swinging that much prop.

Ten,

575 and a 2:1! Holy crap! Your description of extreme overkill is very accurate, however with the G able to run 17" props you could likely step all the way up to a 17x20, which is what the M235 runs. With that big of a prop you would likely have better economy and with your powertrain I can't imagine you having problems swinging that much prop.

I thought about trying that, as it is only about a 38-40 mph boat with the 17x17. However I rarely ever go over 22mph. I will probably see what my fuel economy is like when I get it back out in April and decide if I want to try a 17x18 or 17x19.

Now everyone is blowing my mind with data! lol :lol::rofl:

My thoughts to date is both are great boats, both have distinct looks that are different and personal preference.

Both power houses seem to be legit but it sure would be nice to have the larger engine!

• Like 1

It's not just the top end, it is the efficiency gain. If the Raptor is like the LSA there is a point where fuel consumption goes up exponentially. On the LSA that happens at around 3500 RPM. By utilizing the taller pitch your RPM goes down significantly, especially with the 2:1. Surfing at 3200 RPM uses way less fuel than surfing at 3600 RPM. My search for prop optimization was based on fuel economy, so I could stay on the water longer, as I had no access to 91 on the water. So when tank is empty we are done for the day. By getting better economy I get more ride time in my day.

That would be an awesome combo to test with.

• Like 1

Both my G21 and G23 run about 2900-3200rpms while surfing (speed range of 10.5-12mph). Very minimal prop slip with that 17" prop, so the rpms stay nice and low while surfing.

I do feel that at wakeboard speeds I could benefit from more pitch. It is running 3600-3700 at 22mph.

So what should expect from the H6 450 engine? What prop should I look for to be on the boat prior to delivery?

Same question with the MXZ with the Roush 575?

No clue on the G23

The MXZ just the standard 2279. 15x15.75 will work like a champ.

I am actually considering trying a 15.5 prop. I think a 15.5 x 16 would be perfect for that power plant. Just that gets very close to the hull.

The G23 with H6 will have the 2:1 gearbox and a 17x17 prop. You would most likely not want to change a thing. It will perform very well just like it is.

Dark- do you know if a 16x16 will fit? The 16x16 works very well on the older 550 Gs with a 1.5:1, and it also works very well on an MC with a 7.4 with a 1.5:1 gearbox. I would think it would be perfect for you.

Edited by TenTwentyOne

16" is too tall for a BU. The max they recommend is 15", I suspect 15.5 will be ok, but that is only leaving 1/2" clearance to the hull.

I ordered the torque prop and it is just insane. So I tried a couple different options, with OJ and ended on 15 x 15.5. I have the 2247 15x14.25 as my spare. I went as tall as 15x17, that did not work well pulling weight. Cruising it was fantastic but that is just too much pitch for a 15" prop for running heavy.

Edited by DarkSide

Well Chit -

Likely the demo will have to speak to me. Everybody brings up the good things.....I am leaning towards the 24MXZ but wife is liking the G! Lets see.....deep down she doesn't care as long as Im happy.

DarkSide - If my on water stations have 89-91 Octane (ethanol free), would I be good to just throw a bottle of octane boost in it to get it a bit higher? I have read that the Roush Charged Engines are pretty forgiving but have no first hand knowledge.

SC

Shodan, like I stated earlier I really wouldn't be terribly concerned if you can get 91. I truthfully would not put 89 in it. With higher Intake Air Temperatures (IATs) and low octane on a supercharged motor you are just asking to damage it with any type of more aggressive throttle.

Octane boost will not do you much good as that only increases octane by tenths of a a point (i.e. 1 full bottle might get 89 octane to 89.2) The only way to effectively raise octane levels dramatically is to mix in some race fuel (100 octane) and there are calculators out there to figure out the raitos.

For what it is worth, the PCM XR7 no longer requires premium fuel. It is calibrated to run 87. They obviously still "recommend" premium fuel. This was a concern for me when I ordered, and they had an engineer at PCM call me and talk to me about it. They used to calibrate for a 91+ requirement, but they changed that for 16.

91 I wouldon't add a thing, 91 is all I ever use. You could try 89, Nyryan runs 89 in his supercharged G23.

If you did run 89 through the roush, you will likely lose a significant amount of power. Will it still run probably, would it produce the power you are paying for probably not.

Edited by DarkSide

"Best wakeboard wake" from a pro stand point. There is no denying that the G set the bar, but is the cost increase of a G and a 24MXZ worth it? The G in our area is 30k more similarly optioned. The wake behind any of these boats unballasted is still more than most can handle. I think where Malibu excels is Malibu has the classic "Malibu wake" weather you ride a VTX or a 25LSV, the wakes all have that "rampy" Malibu feel. Even the Nautique rep around here said how different the wakes were between the three Gs, and why the 23 is the best of the three.

I walked into our local Nautique dealer last year just to look. I asked the price of the G23, and I was told 160k. I asked what they were selling for and was told 160k. Based on that, I definitely did not see a 70k difference between my 22VLX and G23. Sick yes, just not 70k more sick. IMO

On topic though, the 24MXZ definitely puts out a great wake. Also I feel the MXZ is noticeably more roomy. I don't know darksides weight, but the 450 did awesome with 750s in the rear and a 650 up front. We're close to sea level, so not an issue. I think if they put the rear bench seating in the 24 like they did with the 25LSV, that would be even better

When your talking same price for either that is when the game changes. As much as I am a Malibu fanboy, Nautique/G23 has always been the premier proven wake boat imo.

• Like 3

When your talking same price for either that is when the game changes. As much as I am a Malibu fanboy, Nautique/G23 has always been the premier proven wake boat imo.

For sure. There is no denying it's a great boat, but for me, it comes down to certain features and styling that I don't like. At the same price, I'd still go 24MXZ, it's a bigger boat, still plenty of wake for my skill level, and you don't need a Z5 Bimini to hold more boards.

The G is an awesome boat, just come down to styling and what's important to the buyer.

Edited by wakebrdr94
  • Like 2

No doubt the G23 is a nice boat. However they aren't for everyone. When I bought my '14, my wife gave me permission to order the boat I wanted, any boat. The G23 just didn't do it for ME. Others love the G's, I like them but will take my MXZ over the 23 every single time.

In this particular case your comparing two similar but not equally equipped. Biggest difference off the top is a $11,000 engine upgrade. If you build them similar the G has about a 10k premium here.

I like the stylings of the BU better, to me seating is much more comfortable, and you get a bigger roomier boat.

If one performed SIGNIFICANTLY better than the other it could sway me. Honestly, I am not a good enough surfer/rider to maximize the capability of either, and neither is anyone in my regular crew. Periodically I get to go out with some Very good riders, and it is awesome watching them utilize the capability.

I will absolutely agree the G wins the out of the box performance. I am not so ready to hand over the crown when comparing dialed in performance.

End of the day it is all rider preference, I like a tall steep wave, my buddy chris prefers length over height, others prefer the flat wave.

This is a wonderful problem to have and there is no wrong choice.

• Like 3

I don't need the square footage but I "Know" the Malibu...not the 24MXZ but my 2015 22 MXZ pretty well. I have dialed in the wake for surfing with my daughter and me.

I haven't seen many videos of the 2016 model G23 to blow my mind, yet I have seen some pretty crazy 24MXZ wakes that impress me (Q in all the LSV owners here) (Kidding).

I truly thought you all would be one sided...... ;)

Thanks for all the input so far!

For sure. There is no denying it's a great boat, but for me, it comes down to certain features and styling that I don't like. At the same price, I'd still go 24MXZ, it's a bigger boat, still plenty of wake for my skill level, and you don't need a Z5 Bimini to hold more boards, and the MTC is better in my opinion than the Nautique controls. The Nautique feels like the old Malibu system, where the new MTC is quick responsive and intuitive.

The G is an awesome boat, just come down to styling and what's important to the buyer.

That is the best way to look at it. There are certainly a few other boats that I would still consider if I was in the market right now. I like my G23, but there are still other boats that I would seriously consider if I was ordering today.

I'm not a fan of MTC, but I am also not a big fan of LINC3. Give me the supra or MC setup any day of the week. I'm sick of searching TS menus and finding things on screen. I'd much rather keep my eye on the lake and hit a manual switch for most functions.

That is the best way to look at it. There are certainly a few other boats that I would still consider if I was in the market right now. I like my G23, but there are still other boats that I would seriously consider if I was ordering today.

I'm not a fan of MTC, but I am also not a big fan of LINC3. Give me the supra or MC setup any day of the week. I'm sick of searching TS menus and finding things on screen. I'd much rather keep my eye on the lake and hit a manual switch for most functions.

Ok now Im curious - what would you be considering if ordering today?

Ok now Im curious - what would you be considering if ordering today?

Supra SE, Supra SA, MC X23, MC X30, and would probably demo an M235, but not sure I could take the price jump even if I loved it..... But you never know.

I have lots of time in the others, except the new SA

Edited by TenTwentyOne

Like DarkSide said - the engine is a fairly big factor to me, I am just trying to find if I can get 91 octane on the lake since no trailer plans in my future. I personally like the MXZ styling better, however with my daughter (15) pulling me surfing, I do like the higher profile to have less chance for rollers (although she is likely a better driver than me but DONT TELL HER THAT).

They fell in love with coloring, which I do admit are pretty sweet, but I think part of it is they are looking for a change since Ive had MXZ's since 2012.....but on the other hand, it is one of my favorite looking boats on the water.

I appreciate everyones input....should be driving both side by side this weekend.