Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Loading Respnse

newone

Please help. Everytime I load my response I have to pull the trailer out of the water about three feet or so. That way the rear of the boat will raise, so the front don't hit the roller. Then It is like the boat is out of the to much, And when I throttle There is a rattle And the boat will hardley move. I have even tried to put my trailer deeper in the water that does not work either. Yesterday I just put it on the trailer so it would clear the roller and pulled it with the winch. That was tough because the boat was just barley floating. Any ideas.

Also what do you think the rattle is. The water pickup is still in the water. I just don't want to beat up the front of the boat.

Not completely sure what you're getting at, but here's how to load a Response with a Boatmate or Dorsey single axle trailer.

Back the trailer way down to get the bunks good and wet.

Pull forward so about 5 inches of fender is above water.

Power on with the boat.

Hook it on and drive out.

The boat has to ride up on the bunks to clear the bow roller. If the trailer is in too deep, this won't work.

It actually is not your boat (I have a 97 Response). It's actually your launch ramp. The place I launch my boat at has a very steep boat ramp. It's easier to picture the problem when launching instead of pulling out. When you back into the water, the rear of the boat starts to float much sooner than it really should. The bunks no longer serve their purpose of guiding the boat as it no longer rests on them. I learned this the hard way when my trailer was backed in too far and trying to pull the boat off, it ripped the rubrail clean off my bow.

In terms of retrieval, as you've said, you have to pull the car further up the ramp, but it makes it very difficult to get the boat on the trailer. I actually let out 5-6 ft. of winch strap and in conjunction with having the driver aid with throttle I crank it up.

I've since learned even more tricks because having to drive it this far up caused my bunks to wear quicker. First, dip the trailer REALLY deep in the water, wetting all the bunks before you pull up, second, get some lubricant on the bunks to make the boat slide easier. There is a spray called "Liquid Rollers" but it's only silicone spray. Here's a cheaper alternative.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KL6L...ance&n=15684181

You should be able to get this at any local hardware store. Just tell them you need some silicone spray.

It actually is not your boat (I have a 97 Response). It's actually your launch ramp. The place I launch my boat at has a very steep boat ramp. It's easier to picture the problem when launching instead of pulling out. When you back into the water, the rear of the boat starts to float much sooner than it really should. The bunks no longer serve their purpose of guiding the boat as it no longer rests on them. I learned this the hard way when my trailer was backed in too far and trying to pull the boat off, it ripped the rubrail clean off my bow.

In terms of retrieval, as you've said, you have to pull the car further up the ramp, but it makes it very difficult to get the boat on the trailer. I actually let out 5-6 ft. of winch strap and in conjunction with having the driver aid with throttle I crank it up.

I've since learned even more tricks because having to drive it this far up caused my bunks to wear quicker. First, dip the trailer REALLY deep in the water, wetting all the bunks before you pull up, second, get some lubricant on the bunks to make the boat slide easier. There is a spray called "Liquid Rollers" but it's only silicone spray. Here's a cheaper alternative.

You should be able to get this at any local hardware store. Just tell them you need some silicone spray.

What he said. One other thing to look at is the trailer. If there is a crossmember up front that you can add a roller to that would make the bow raise up sooner, that might help the situation as well. On the Liquid Rollers, don't take your bow strap off before you back the boat down the ramp or you could end up with the boat on the ramp. It's that slippery.

What is the rattle I am hearing. Is it the boat rubbing the trailer or what. I am throttling hard when it does it and, the boat barrley moves.

What is the rattle I am hearing. Is it the boat rubbing the trailer or what. I am throttling hard when it does it and, the boat barrley moves.

Probably the friction of the hull against the bunks. Try the Liquid Rollers & see what you think.

I will say the silicone spray (ie. liquid rollers, liquid wrench) did come from my dad, a non-boat owner. Yet, he was a pipe fitter for 30+ years, and is probably the most mechanically enclined person I know. I took his advice and borrowed some of his liquid wrench and sprayed mine. NEVER have I seen a boat slide off it's bunks like mine does now. It's so smooth, I smile everytime I take it on and off. I now WARN my boat driver that minimal if any throttle will be needed.

I found the company's home page. There is an actual product called "Silicone Spray". This is the exact product I used. http://www.gunk.com/index.asp

I will second WakeGirls advice saying don't disconnect before your boat is in the water (I never did before anyhow).

I know allot of people will tell you not to do it this way, but with mine I just drive it on the trailer. When it is close to the front of the trailer, I hop out w/ it in gear, hook it up, crank it up the last 10inchs or so, then go back and shut it down. Any other way and I have the prob w/ getting the boat over the front roller. I works perfect every time, and I can get my boat in, and out of the water in no time at all. I get very irritated Mad.gif w/ people taking forever on the ramp, so I try to be as quick as I can. ;)