Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Sailvi767

15.5 inch prop for raptor engines

Sailvi767

Still looking at options for props on a 22 VLX with the 450. Prop makers feel the engine really should have a 16" wheel but that will only leave ½ inch of clearance with the hull. Thinking about a 15.5 as a compromise. ¾ of a inch clearance still concerns me. Anyone running these types of clearances? Any issues like prop burn on the hull? With the slower turning prop caused by the new transmission ratio and the low end torque on the new engines everyone says bigger is better!

thtrog

I would measure carefully, a few years ago early testing of the 15" props I was at 7/8" clearance.

DarkSide

Are you sure you would still have that much clearance. I only have 3/4" with a 15" on my MXZ

teamerickson

I am thinking about going to a 15.5. I've got one inch with a 15. But, I want someone else to be the Guinea pig. ;)

Fman

Call eric at OJ, he already said he would make one. Worse case is run a stainless plate if you get prop burn.

Sailvi767

I measured my clearance with a 15" at 1". Boat is on a lift so not easy to measure. Will recheck before I order.

Fman

Is there a 15.5" being produced or is it a custom order?

Sailvi767

Is there a 15.5" being produced or is it a custom order?

ACME has a 15.5 X 16. It's a stock prop. They have some props that are not on the web sight.

Sailvi767

Are you sure you would still have that much clearance. I only have 3/4" with a 15" on my MXZ

Any hull burn or damage at ¾ inch clearance? How many hours?

wakebrdr94

our buddy has a 1235 on his LSV with a 450 and its been a champ with no issues

Fman

ACME has a 15.5 X 16. It's a stock prop. They have some props that are not on the web sight.

Please report back if you end up running one. I think it would be very easy to install a thin piece of stainless to prevent any prop burn.

nyryan2001

Centurions are most all 1/2" to 3/4" from tip of prop to the hull, no issues.

Sailvi767

Centurions are most all 1/2" to 3/4" from tip of prop to the hull, no issues.

I think it will be ok. Even pondering the 16". With the prop turning slower that should help prevent burn.

DarkSide

Any hull burn or damage at ¾ inch clearance? How many hours?

No issues works like a champ. I would love a 15.5, going from 14.5 to 15 made a huge difference in would think the same would be true going 15 to 15.5

Nitrousbird

our buddy has a 1235 on his LSV with a 450 and its been a champ with no issues

1235 was the thing to have 5 years ago. So many other choices out there now.