Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

which side of the wake to surf on??

Liquidroam

Recently started surfing. I am goofy footed so I want to surf on the driver side. My son has surfed both sides and swears that the Pasenger side is noticeably easier. He tells me that he was told it has to do with the rotation of the prop. He is able to surf for minutes without the rope. I am still holding the rope. Mad.gif

Is there something to what he is telling me. Is the passenger side of the wake better with Malibus?

Thanks for the advice.

I ride goofy as well and can tell you that you can get the drivers side almost as nice as the passengers. He is right about the rotation of the prop messing up the drivers side more. I know one person who surfs goofy footed but rides on the passenger side. I think you should try both sides and see witch side feels the best for you.

I grew up surfing the beaches of So Cal. Surfing.gif Hoping to do more wake-surfing once the arm heals but gotta mooch rides with bigger boats than mine. Biggrin.gif

Frontside (facing the wake) is easier to learn and easier to do bottom turns and 'face-up' lip-slides.

Backside (back to the wave) is tougher to master but with a big wave would be preferable for lip-tricks including sliding 180's (atleast for me). Once I'm slid around to switch I'd rather be frontside which means I need to start out backside. Surprised.gif

YMMV. Surfing.gif

Edited by NorCaliBu

But is there one side of the wake that has an inherantly better pocket.

The driver side looks much cleaner. If I could figure out how to add a pic here I would.

Edited by gofigure24

have an 06' V-ride and can surf on both sides but one is not better than the other because of the direction of the prop. I do have friends that surf goofy footed, and most prefer to surf (backside) on the passenger side instead of (front side) on the driver's side. My self I prefer to surf front side and for me that's the passenger side. If I am surfing at the coast I will enjoy backside for a chahge but thats on a wave that has more power than behind the boat. With the right board, boat wake, and skill you should be able to surf until you are tired ropeless on the most comfortable side for you!! Good luck

One side of the wake will be cleaner. It depends on prop rotation.

Don't base which side you surf depend on that though.

Surfing toeside is easier than heelside. Once you can surf toeside, go over the wake, then start practicing heelside.

If you can't go ropeless, you need more practice or a bigger board to learn on, or a bigger wake, or you need to lose weight.

Really big people need a big board and a big wake.

have an 06' V-ride and can surf on both sides but one is not better than the other because of the direction of the prop.

You will have a cleaner wave on one side due to rotation, with certainty. Your passenger or regular side, toeside, will be best on your boat. Regardless both will be 100% surfable. JasonK is right, it's likely due to your riding, how big are you and how big is your board? The right board for your wave and size is half the battle. After you get the fundamentals down you can easily ride smaller boards and smaller waves.

I haven't found one side to be cleaner than the other, but we can get a bigger wake on the driver side, due to having more weight (the driver) on that side)

It takes practice to go ropeless, not something you just get up and do

have an 06' V-ride and can surf on both sides but one is not better than the other because of the direction of the prop.

You will have a cleaner wave on one side due to rotation, with certainty. Your passenger or regular side, toeside, will be best on your boat. Regardless both will be 100% surfable. JasonK is right, it's likely due to your riding, how big are you and how big is your board? The right board for your wave and size is half the battle. After you get the fundamentals down you can easily ride smaller boards and smaller waves.

Yep - Todd was surfin it this weekend with a little tiny phase5 icon.

A lot of great replys on this. I appreciate it.

Don't worry I didn't miss the fat remarks. :blush: Weight 190, and I am starting on a 5'6" Hyperlite Broadcast. Slow but stable.

Last March I was looking to put a ballast system in a new boat for me, an `04 Sunscape 21 LSV. I ended up with the Wakeside Elevate 1500 lb system. I had been asked to post the results, but I do not know how to add pictures to this site. I am assembling it into on word document. Can anyone tell me how to post this? Does any one really care??

A lot of great replys on this. I appreciate it.

Don't worry I didn't miss the fat remarks. :blush: Weight 190, and I am starting on a 5'6" Hyperlite Broadcast. Slow but stable.

Last March I was looking to put a ballast system in a new boat for me, an `04 Sunscape 21 LSV. I ended up with the Wakeside Elevate 1500 lb system. I had been asked to post the results, but I do not know how to add pictures to this site. I am assembling it into on word document. Can anyone tell me how to post this? Does any one really care??

gofigure, 190 is nothing and that board should be fine. I am well above 2bills and can get down on that icon brad mentioned so you just need more time surfing. Turn your PC off now and go practice ;)

I think you pic issue is related to your status. Contributing members have more features within the site. See Here. If you pm the pic or link to it, I can download it and post it for you.

i've noticed the wake is steeper and higher on the passenger side as well. maybe someday malibu will offer the choice of prop rotation for us surfers.

both sides are definitely surfable - i just posted a video yesterday of my wife and i surfing on the driver's side and you can see the wake is plenty. - i'm 200lbs (where did the days of 175 go?)

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5876

Edited by smedman

Nobody believes it but the surf wake is much bigger and cleaner on the driver's side of my XTI. It has something to do with the prop being 3 blade vs 4 or something. Its almost like it is reverse rotation but its not according to the acme prop info I looked up a few minutes ago.

Well you do have a driver over there, so usually that's at least 120+ more on that side, plus you're slingin' it. I am 100% sure that both sides can be made great. If you put the identical weight on each side though, set the boat and Cruise then crawl over port side, the wave will be cleaner. It's due to the rotation.

Regardless both sides can be tuned beautifully with minimal experimentation. PS: I am still waiting for a pull behind this XTI! Mad.gif

Well you do have a driver over there, so usually that's at least 120+ more on that side, plus you're slingin' it. I am 100% sure that both sides can be made great. If you put the identical weight on each side though, set the boat and Cruise then crawl over port side, the wave will be cleaner. It's due to the rotation.

Regardless both sides can be tuned beautifully with minimal experimentation. PS: I am still waiting for a pull behind this XTI! Mad.gif

Exactly, so with that said, surf the side that you want to & don't worry about which side will potentially clean up a little better. Personally I can't see the difference behind my boat, & I surf both sides (toeside goofy is my side, but I can go switch on the other side). They both look so similar to my eyes that they might as well be the same.

Its on. I will be at RR from fri night until sunday noon.

In the marina next to the flag boat?

No, at the state park. Isle du Bois